Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Atari ST Book and Writing Input Recognition...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 577 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:57 AM

I spend a lot of time thinking about design, it's one of the best things about Atari that has always drawn me into their machines/consoles. They were always ahead of their time. I've been wanting an Atari ST Book for a long time now but have yet to find the perfect one that isn't exceeding $2,000 in price but still with no luck. For some reason, I really started questioning the LCD design layout tonight. What if I told you that the bezel area on the left-hand side was to serve as a form of alternate input recognition for signatures or writing and the ST to translate into text? Seems logical considering the time period was also when they were experimenting with the STPad and hand-written input recognition. I mean... why else have that 'area' there?

Maybe I haven't discovered anything and this isn't news to anyone and it was actually intended to be just that all along but if so, I've never read or heard about it. Judge for yourself:

stbook3x.jpg

stbook1.jpg

ST Book - as in, something you could literally write into... 

Edited by Clint Thompson, 04 September 2017 - 05:03 AM.

• Justin, RickR and GRay Defender like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 577 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

I haven't been able to get any word back from Mike Fulton or otherwise but apparently there was a GEM Touch program, though most ideally it was intended for the STPad only. No comments still on the left side of the panel that seems to be blank.

• Justin likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#3 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

I like the way you're thinking. I've always wondered about that.

• Clint Thompson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users