My first time playing the 2600

Dvdxploitr

First things first, I am new to this site.  i have been watching Atari.IO videos on YouTube and I also am on AtariAge forums.  I just thought i'd start things off by sharing the first experience I had with the 2600.  I was about 4 or 5 years old and its one of those things that I still remember.  I remember my brother getting an NES for Christmas and that was my first video game console to play and my dad was telling my brother and I about a system that he played a few years before we got the NES.  He was talking about the simplistic graphics, one button and a joystick.  I was intrigued but my brother wasn't at all impressed.  He just wanted to play his NES and thats all that mattered to him.  (even to this day, he only cares for the newest systems and not into the retro ones at all).  I remember we visited one of my aunts for a dinner one night and we got to talking about Christmas when my dad mentioned the NES that my brother got.   My Uncle said "we don't have that, but we have the older system hooked up in the living room.  I asked if I could play it and he said that after dinner we could all play together taking turns.  I remember seeing the system for the first time.  That wood grain on it made it look more like it belonged in an entertainment center than the grey box that the NES was.  I remember playing Missile Command for the first time.   It was so simplistic but it was so much fun!  I also played some Defender, I just remember it moving too fast for me to play!  I also remember playing Astroids and Space Invaders.  I had a blast with Space Invaders.  I think I played it more than any of them.  I kept going back and forth between Space Invaders and Missile Command.  They also had Yar's Revenge and I didn't know what I was doing in that (and I still don't!).  I remember having so much fun that night and kept BEGGING my parents to go back to my Aunt and Uncles house every weekend.  The sad thing was, they lived about an hour away!  I asked my parents for an Atari for my birthday and by that time (since the NES was out, and the Genesis was on its way out on the market) you couldn't just go in Walmart and buy one.  My parents managed to talk my Aunt and Uncle into letting us borrow the Atari for awhile and I enjoyed it so much.

You'd think that I'd have an Atari 2600 now, but sadly I do not.  I do have the Atari Flashback 2 though.  I also have two Atari Lynx systems and about 13 games.  I have the original model and the Lynx 2.  I play Atari games via emulation on my computer from time to time using a USB joystick that came with my Neo-Geo X (better than standard controller b/c the Neo-Geo X has a joystick).  I may look into buying an Atari 2600.  I want some of them old games back from my childhood and I also want to get others like Kaboom and Pitfall

my first atari memorey was xmas of '77 got the 2600 for xmas during its lauch. loved the system.

remember playing flag capture against few freinds and beating every one.

my first 2600 has died but still have second.

my love for 2600 continues buy now for homebrews which was why I started the haromny games hsc.

which is being put on hiatus this year (with exception of two live events) will return next year

with a new format.

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

Welcome Dvdxploitr! Great story...........first experience with the VCS was around 1979 when I was at my cousin's house for a birthday party and we start playing Adventure. I was hooked! Then we moved and the boy who lived across the street from my house had both the VCS and Intellivision. And by Christmas 1983 I got my Vectrex - so between him and I we had all of the major consoles covered. I didn't get my own Atari until Christmas 1986 when I got my Jr. And I started buying carts from friends at school who were moving on to NES.

The good O days!!!!!!!!!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Archived