Star Trek: Discovery

Sabertooth

Well, last night was the Season 1 finale. The plot moved a little quickly in order to tie up loose plot threads but overall it was very fun and entertaining. Also, I don't want to spoil the end here, but it was very cool in a fan service way.

Personally, I think it was the best first season of a trek series since TOS and believe they will really find their feet in Season 2. If you haven't given it a shot, I highly recommend getting a trial subscription to All Access. As I said above, you can watch it in a week for free and cancel until 2019, when the show returns. ;)

My five favorite episodes so far:

07 - Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad

01 - The Vulcan Hello

11 - The Wolf Inside

13 - What's Past is Prologue

06 - Lethe

The last scene had me screaming "yes" at the TV repeatedly, rewinding and rewatching.  I will admit to have gotten teary eyed.  LOL  I can't believe we have to wait almost a year for the next season! I did cancel my CBS All Access subscription since Discovery was the only reason I had it.  I will join again when Discovery returns. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

My wife and I watched S5, E1 last night.  I'm eager to know what you all thought.  Warning:  SPOILERS!

Some very general notes:

• I find it really hard to remember what happened in S4.  Something about planets blowing up and then a big argument about how to deal with the aliens.  Not a good sign when a nerd like me can't remember what happened.  But I guess it has been a while.
  • Lots of action in this episode!  I don't know if I like this or not.  Mostly because I don't think it's very well done.  Examples:  LOTS of YELLING!  That alien settlement in trouble -- we see the same 5 people over and over.  It looks like a rip off of Joku on Star Wars.  Where is Rey when you need her?
  • There are moments here from TNG!  I love this!  But wait, they only last a few moments.  I don't like this.  I sure hope they re-activate Fred at some point. 
  • The Iron Man tech in this show is distracting and pointless.  Setting us so far in the future maybe not the best idea.  Reminds me of the magic turbolift.  Not good.  I'm trying to forget that happened. 
  • Why no expert from "N'Var" on their mission?  Seems very strange.  A sign of bad writing.  I guess it doesn't matter, they only spend a few action moments on that ship. 

RickR gives this one a solid C. 

I finished season 1 last week and will start season 2 soon. Thanks for recommending Discovery to me. I’ve been loving it. The tone and style and most everything is definitely a departure from TOS and TNG, and I am good with that. The characters have depth, and I appreciate that. Looking forward to season 2 and beyond.

I've watched both episodes already.  I watched them on my flight to Puerto Rico.  I really enjoyed them! 

Not remembering season 4 after so long is not such a bad thing.  The final episodes of the season were really good and felt like true discovery, pun intended, the Star Trek way. 

The tech on the suits comes from programmable matter, something that was established when they set the show in the 34th Century.  I don't envy them trying to create even more futuristic tech, particularly when it can look just like magic. 

@socrates63, glad to see you're liking the show.  Again, be aware that the show goes through change on every season. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

6 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I finished season 1 last week and will start season 2 soon. Thanks for recommending Discovery to me. I’ve been loving it. The tone and style and most everything is definitely a departure from TOS and TNG, and I am good with that. The characters have depth, and I appreciate that. Looking forward to season 2 and beyond.

I'm going to suggest a switch over to "Strange New Worlds" for you, as it REALLY good.  You'll get a flavor of that in Season 2 Discovery.  So maybe watch season 2 and then cut over. 

37 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

This video should be a nice refresher for what's happened before. 

Very much appreciated.  Thanks! 

2 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm going to suggest a switch over to "Strange New Worlds" for you, as it REALLY good.  You'll get a flavor of that in Season 2 Discovery.  So maybe watch season 2 and then cut over. 

I’ve been watching SNW. I absolutely love it. I even tried to style my hair a la Captain Pike but couldn’t get the volume. I may need a better hair dryer or hire a stylist 😂

I watched the first two episodes in the middle of the night (up with a cold). I like the TNG tie-in for this season's MacGuffin.

The first episode was a little over-the-top with the action, but I like the lighter vibe they seem to be going for this year.

S5 - E3 "Jinaal"...it was OK, but....

Spoiler

I think this episode hammers home what bothers me about Discovery...here we are 800 years in the future of TNG, and we go to Trill.  Great!  I sure hope they show what's different about Trill.  What of Dax?  Nope. 

What we get is fine.  They have a nice balance of action vs. exposition.  Book and Michael work well together.  The solution to their puzzle is very Star Trekky...which is good. 

But that ending.  So dumb.  Not a single person looks at Moll's face???  What of this glorious Trill security?  And how the heck did she even know where and exactly when to go?  I'm so sorry, but I'm not buying this part at all.  Think about it...they wouldn't let Michael even beam down without answering a riddle, yet a KNOWN FUGITIVE gets in with no issue. 

I'll leave on a positive.  Raynor is a good addition.  Adds a little friction.  He's an ass, but relatable.  Paired with way too informal Tilly = perfection.  Very well done.