Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

JagDuo PCB discovered...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 561 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

Thanks go to John Hardie for scanning this in. Confirmation that work was done on this and not just a case mockup!

IMG_9061.PNG
  • atarilbc, BlackCatz40, TrekMD and 1 other like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:50 PM

Wow, what a discovery! Had it been released, I would have traded my Jag/CD for the Jag Duo in a heartbeat. I loved that case design! Thanks for sharing!

download (1).jpg
  • BlackCatz40 and Clint Thompson like this

#3 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 392 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

That is really cool!

• Clint Thompson likes this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#4 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 561 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, the JagDuo and JagVR combination was a true dream for me in the 90s. I was ready to play Black ICE/White Noise, Zone Hunter VR and Missile Command VR non-stop.
  • atarilbc likes this

cerka.weebly.com

#5 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 989 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:47 AM

It does exist! OMG. Let's duplicate and populate it! Well...wishful thinking.
  • atarilbc, BlackCatz40 and Clint Thompson like this

#6 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

Thanks go to John Hardie for scanning this in. Confirmation that work was done on this and not just a case mockup!

attachicon.gifIMG_9061.PNG

its simply amazing how much atari dumped into hardware, yet did almost nothing game wise. when jack t. told me and bruce at b&c computervisions that atari was working on a jaguar 2 to make up for all of the mistakes on the jaguar 1, we asked him what about games, how about supporting the jaguar first before you plan on more hardware. it looks like he wanted more hardware.

he never understood that no matter how good the hardware was, you needed games, lots of games, games can be so so, good, nitch games, even great games, that's what it takes, a wide variety of games.

lance

www.atarisales.com

• atarilbc, Clint Thompson and dgrubb like this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

#7 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 140 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I always thought the JagDuo prototype was complete, with the motherboard already installed and populated with components. Nice find, Clint! :)

Edited by BlackCatz40, 30 September 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#8 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

It would have been a very beautiful console. I like the case design. Very sad.
It would be fantastic to see a working Jagduo.

#9 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 989 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:01 AM

OK guys.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the JagDuo had an extra expansion port compared to the Jaguar.  Jaguar has two: a DSP and one for A/V and other things.  JagDuo has three:  One what appears to be at the rear of the console I assume for A/V and two what appears to be on the right side of the console.  I am guessing that the smaller of the two on the right is the DSP.  And looks like the other one is almost the size of an 8-bit cartridge in width.  I wonder what that was going to be for?

Oh how I wish we could duplicate that and get the parts to populate that board.  The only thing that would be missing is the ROM to make it all work.  I'm sure somewhere all of the components required to populate it are floating around as NOS.  If I could I'd invest in duplicating the board just to populate it and get it to fire up.  Out of all of the hardware coming out these days (SNES Mini, tons of Atari and Sega clones, and AtariBox which is disappointing) I would definitely be interested in purchasing this machine if it was to be completed and released.  That would be the best console of the bunch in my opinion.  And that case design!  I have to hand it to the engineers at Warner Atari and Atari, Corp...they could design some beautiful cases for their hardware.

Edited by kamakazi20012, 03 October 2017 - 04:02 AM.

#10 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 561 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

On the case design: Ira Valinksy was the designer of the JagDuo and most of the later Atari products. Sadly he passed away at an early age quite a long time ago. Some sort of page in dedication and memory is definitely in order.

You're correct about the expansion port - it is similar to that of the Jaguar 2 design as well. No idea what they could have had in mind for use regarding the expansion port really.

While it's doubtful anything will come of the efforts, I am in contact with the original board manufacturer who produced this board to see if any possible archives of the original PCB files exist. There are other options as well but obviously having the original files would be the easiest. The biggest chip challenge would be the Orbit CD controller chip that is found in the Jaguar CD units. Very little information on those seem to be available.

While also unlikely, it could also be possible to have new Tom and Jerry chips made thanks to wafer pooling in the modern age bringing costs substantially down and the available netlists. In a best price scenario, they would still probably be roughly $60 a chip due to such a low or limited qty run.

• atarilbc and dgrubb like this

cerka.weebly.com

#11 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 989 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

The biggest chip challenge would be the Orbit CD controller chip that is found in the Jaguar CD units. Very little information on those seem to be available.

The Jaguar CD unit was partially made by Phillips if I remember correctly.

#12 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 561 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, the Orbit controller chip is a proprietary chip but... I got a hold of someone who may have that as well. There's a lot of stuff to do and go through.

Attached Thumbnails

• orbitchip.jpg

• atarilbc and dgrubb like this

cerka.weebly.com

#13 dgrubb

dgrubb

• 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

Clint, that's an amazing find!

its simply amazing how much atari dumped into hardware, yet did almost nothing game wise. when jack t. told me and bruce at b&c computervisions that atari was working on a jaguar 2 to make up for all of the mistakes on the jaguar 1, we asked him what about games, how about supporting the jaguar first before you plan on more hardware. it looks like he wanted more hardware.

he never understood that no matter how good the hardware was, you needed games, lots of games, games can be so so, good, nitch games, even great games, that's what it takes, a wide variety of games.

lance

www.atarisales.com

I can picture that, it's a very late-70s/early-80s view of the computer industry from a time when hardware manufacturers called the shots (IBM, Commodore, Nintendo, etc) and were the ones who instigated the big market changes by bringing out new machines. I suppose he never quite grokked how the rise of software players throughout the 80s and early 90s shifted the mechanics of the industry.

#14 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

Sad to hear about Ira Valinsky's death. His creations are tasteful and have character.

I can picture that, it's a very late-70s/early-80s view of the computer industry from a time when hardware manufacturers called the shots (IBM, Commodore, Nintendo, etc) and were the ones who instigated the big market changes by bringing out new machines. I suppose he never quite grokked how the rise of software players throughout the 80s and early 90s shifted the mechanics of the industry.

I think, the lack of software for the Jaguar was a consequence of Jack Tramiels treatment of 3rd party developers.

Maybe Sam was more kind to them, but the Tramiel's reputation was already destroyed.

Edited by TeddyGermany, 10 October 2017 - 06:10 AM.

#15 A31Chris

A31Chris

Cherry Member

• 41 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

FB conversations with some of the old Atari guard from the Jags era seemed to come off as a general sense of them maybe not really having any self reflection.

A lot of pointing fingers to outside of Atari forces. Victim of circumstance. Forces were aligned against us etc. While a lot of that may be true there was no 'ok here here and here we could have done things differently.' really apparent. There are a few mentions with hardware design but regarding overall belief's, attitude s etc after they got what they had regarding hardware.

Edited by A31Chris, 12 October 2017 - 12:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users