Missile Command Prototype (with pam low, and pam hi) – Atari 5200

Video 61

This is a demonstration of a rare prototype version of "Missile Command," for the Atari 5200(with pam low, and pam hi). It could (or could not) be a later-stage prototype because it is so close to the released edition you see today.

But, it is indicative of a possible early prototype because it has PAM labeled on the EPROM chips, both low and high.

NOTE: PAM was the code name for Atari 5200, by the way.

thanks for looking,

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

Missile Command on the 5200, while I think it is a good game that is even better when played with the Trak-Ball controller, is actually my least played game on the console.  I'm really not a fan of the game on any platform.  When I first discovered a XEGS in 1998 and learned it had Missile Command built-in I did like the game a little more...but not enough to help it gain any replay value with me.  I have to say, though, that is probably the best arcade port I've seen. 

Missile Command on the 5200, while I think it is a good game that is even better when played with the Trak-Ball controller, is actually my least played game on the console.  I'm really not a fan of the game on any platform.  When I first discovered a XEGS in 1998 and learned it had Missile Command built-in I did like the game a little more...but not enough to help it gain any replay value with me.  I have to say, though, that is probably the best arcade port I've seen. 

its one of the games that makes the 5200 controller shine. i was really bummed when i saw missile command on the XEGS, they did not make it into a light gun game, i was stunned, because atari was bragging to all of us dealers, they had a system and games to compete with the NES. and they said yes we have a light gun to.

so why not make a game that was a obvious candidate for a light gun, make it into a light gun compatible, instead of the old game everyone knew about, and were tired of.

by making it into a light gun game, it would have made renewed interest in the game, and more machine sales.

same thing can be said about the 7800 cracked, the joystick, are you insane. it was a light gun game from the get go. the joystick is way to slow. played it a couple of times back in the 80's, never booted it again till i decided to see what it could do with a trak-ball, in trak-ball mode. no go their either, a complete waste of a game.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

On 10/20/2017 at 3:53 PM, Video 61 said:

its one of the games that makes the 5200 controller shine. i was really bummed when i saw missile command on the XEGS, they did not make it into a light gun game, i was stunned, because atari was bragging to all of us dealers, they had a system and games to compete with the NES. and they said yes we have a light gun to.

so why not make a game that was a obvious candidate for a light gun, make it into a light gun compatible, instead of the old game everyone knew about, and were tired of.

by making it into a light gun game, it would have made renewed interest in the game, and more machine sales.

same thing can be said about the 7800 cracked, the joystick, are you insane. it was a light gun game from the get go. the joystick is way to slow. played it a couple of times back in the 80's, never booted it again till i decided to see what it could do with a trak-ball, in trak-ball mode. no go their either, a complete waste of a game.

Missile Command was never a light gun game, and trying to adapt it to use one would have resulted in a completely different playing experience.  Support for the trackball could have easily been done, and wasn't.

No, Crack'ed wasn't a light gun game from the start, but both the VCS and 7800 versions of Crack'ed should have been designed to use one.  The original version released for the Atari ST  used a mouse, and supporting the trackball would have offered the same experience, but as you mentioned, using the joystick results in a terribly unfair and unpleasant experience for the player.