Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Old School Gamer Magazine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 495 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

I just received a free print edition of the first issue of Old Scool Gamer Magazine. The magazine is edited by Ryan Burger and has an advisory board consisting of Dan Loosen (Midwest Gaming Classic/GOAT Store), Walter Day (Twin Galaxies), Billy Mitchell, and Doc Mack (Galloping Ghost). The first issue is decent and has articles on Qix, Q-Bert, K.C. Munchikin, a feature on voice recognition hardware, a feature on text adventures and reviews of the latest HD NES clone offerings from Hyperkin and Retrobit. The back also has an Atari 2600 pricing guide courtesy of puregaming.org.

It's pretty cool for a first issue and I'm glad that it's not NES-centric like some other retro mag attempts. The print copy also came with a poster. Overall it was pretty good and I'm excited to see where things go. I'll probably bite for the annual subscription ($30). The first issue is available as a free PDF. Check it out here: https://www.oldschoo...e.com/magazine/image.jpeg

Edited by atarilbc, 04 November 2017 - 09:28 PM.

• Justin, MaximumRD, RickR and 1 other like this

#2 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 432 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

I got a free issue at PRGE!  It does look pretty nice and does have a true retro feel.

• RickR and atarilbc like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,789 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

I got a free issue at PRGE!  It does look pretty nice and does have a true retro feel.

I also got a copy at PRGE, and they also mailed me one.  I'll save the extra for the next junk box.

• atarilbc likes this

#4 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 432 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:50 AM

I've not received one in the mail yet.  Maybe it is just delayed.  Were you able to get a PDF of the magazine, RickR?  I have a link to the online version of the magazine but that is not a downloadable file.

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,789 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

I've not received one in the mail yet.  Maybe it is just delayed.  Were you able to get a PDF of the magazine, RickR?  I have a link to the online version of the magazine but that is not a downloadable file.

I have not tried.  I haven't even had time to open and look at the magazine.  They are both still in the plastic wrap. 

#6 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,177 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:10 AM

I got my printed copy in the mail thursday..... and it had 2 posters inside the plastic bag!!

• atarilbc likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#7 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 495 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

@TrekMD - The link I posted has a second link to the PDF copy. It worked fine for me.

#8 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 432 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

Ah, yes.  Somehow I had missed it.  Got it!

• atarilbc likes this

#9 RyanOSG

RyanOSG

• 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Great to see this hitting this site! - Those that signed up most recently will be getting the next issue.

• Arenafoot, atarilbc and TrekMD like this
Ryan Burger - Husband, Father, Publisher, Gamer
Old School Gamer Magazine - Did you get your free subscription?

#10 GRay Defender

GRay Defender

Strawberry Member

• 58 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

I have a spare copy of issue 1 with the poster.  Anyone interested in US?  Send me a PM and I'll send it out to you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users