Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Jaguar ProController Reproductions Announced

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 495 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

There was an exciting post today over on the Atari Jaguar Facebook page. Apparently, some folks are working on a reproduction of the Jaguar ProController. If you're a Jaguar fan, you know that the ProController vastly improves on the original Jaguar controller in terms of feel and function. Many of the late releases (1995 and beyond) have ProController support that enhances gameplay. Unfortunately, these controllers regularly exceed $200 on eBay, making them out of reach for many gamers. The reproductions will reportedly cost $50-60. They are asking for an interest check now but I'm hopeful that this comes to fruition. Maybe Clint can confirm and provide more information?

image.jpeg

Edited by atarilbc, 07 November 2017 - 11:00 PM.

• Justin, Zontar, RickR and 4 others like this

#2 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 432 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

This is cool!  I have a non-working Pro controller that I could replace with this!

• atarilbc and Gemini Gamer like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#3 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 581 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on the other forums asking the same thing:

"I've been working with William of Mortoff Games for the past few months in making sure this is possible (plastic injected mold design and quotes, circuit design, assembly, testing on real hardware, etc. - the works) and could be a pathway to other things down the line should the interest actually be there. 

The controller will be 100% identical to the originals with the exception of the Atari logo on them for obvious reasons. From a quality stand point, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two but am open to fielding concerns and quality questions so we make sure it gets pushed back and addressed. Tactile feedback was mentioned and I want to make sure it's going to have the same feel.

If the demand is actually there (I'm giving it until December 31st, that's almost a good 2-months) then we'll proceed with getting prototypes sent back to ensure the quality on the circuitry is as expected and update everyone accordingly along the way. If not, then I guess the $150+ on eBay option will remain."

• atarilbc and dgrubb like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#4 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 495 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

As I said on AA, thanks for the information. My interest email is in and I hope that you're able to bring this to the Jaguar community.
  • Clint Thompson likes this

#5 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 432 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

I've sent an email as well. 

• atarilbc and Clint Thompson like this

#6 Zontar

Zontar

Thing From Venus

• 101 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:49 PM

This is great news

#7 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 581 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

We're only 5 days in and about half way there interest-wise. So please, if you haven't already done so, send an e-mail declaring your interest and share the news to other forums, groups, etc. We still have about 50 days before the final tally comes up to see where we stand. Hopefully the interest turns out to be there and this will materialize.

Thanks!

• atarilbc and TrekMD like this

cerka.weebly.com

#8 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 432 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

That is excellent! 

#9 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 495 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

Great news! Given the interest in recent homebrews like Another World, Xenon 2 and Rebooteroids, there has to be 300 users out there willing to buy a pair. Let's get the message out!

#10 dgrubb

dgrubb

• 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

It's an awesome project, I hope they pull it off. I wonder if there's any possibility of a USB-based variant (or a Jag-to-USB adapter) for emulators?

• Justin, atarilbc and Clint Thompson like this

#11 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 581 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

Currently a little over 150 users expressing interest. Still a long ways to go at this rate but there still seems to be a decent trickle of interest via e-mail coming in, though I'm unsure it'll reach the roughly 140-150 needed.

As far as adapters, there are USB adapters currently available for purchase that allow you to connect a Jaguar controller to your PC for emulation use.

• atarilbc and dgrubb like this

cerka.weebly.com

#12 dgrubb

dgrubb

• 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

As far as adapters, there are USB adapters currently available for purchase that allow you to connect a Jaguar controller to your PC for emulation use.

I found one last night, but decided it'd be a fun project so got a start on making my own. :)

Jaguar-USB-tap_render_sm.png?raw=true

• Clint Thompson and TrekMD like this

#13 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 581 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

That's awesome dgrubb! Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you =)

• dgrubb likes this

cerka.weebly.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users