Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Turbografx 16 Podcast

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

So.... I've been wanting to pursue a video game podcast for some time, and I think I've finally settled on doing a game by game podcast for the Turbografx. I'm probably going to follow a similar format to Ferg and the 2600 GBG Podcast. If anyone has any tips on podcasting please feel free to share them here or via PM, as I can use all the advice I can get!

I'm going to stay away from the PC Engine side of things, at least for now, but if I enjoy doing this enough I might discuss those games as well.

I'm just planning on going into this guns blazing, with a mic, a laptop, and an outline. We'll see how it goes  ;)

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 1 other like this

#2 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 217 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:04 AM

YESSSSSSS!!!

Don't worry too much about editing, except for long stretches of silence or stray mouth noises. And break up the talking with sounds from the game, commercials, whatever.

I'm very excited about this, best of luck to you! Let me know when you're ready and I will promote the hell out of it on my show.

• Justin and Starbuck66 like this

#3 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for the advice and the offer Ferg, both are appreciated!

I’m waiting for my mic to come in (went with a Samson Meteor to start) then I’ll probably do some test recording while I work on my research for episode 1 and 2. I’m thinking 1 game bi-weekly so I don’t burn myself out.

By the way, if anyone wants to start sending in any feedback/reviews now send it to turbotasticpodcast@gmail.com Episode 1 is going to be the obligatory hardware/my intro to TG16 episode, and Episode 2 is going to be Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.
  • Justin and fergojisan like this

#4 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

Great news! TurboGrafx-16 is hands-down one of my favorite systems of all time. Possibly my most favorite non-Atari system. I'm thrilled to see this happening! Great advice from Ferg too! When you're ready to launch let us know and we'll help get the word out.

• fergojisan and Starbuck66 like this

#5 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

I'm just planning on going into this guns blazing, with a mic, a laptop, and an outline. We'll see how it goes  ;)

Don't you mean Lazers Blazing!?!?!? ;)

tg16_blazing_lazers_p_uyv4fg.jpg

I actually did a short segment on the last episode of my podcast that covers what you're asking. Rather than typing it all out, I'll post a link to the video here cued up to the 12:00 mark when it starts:

https://youtu.be/Fy-gQstbrM0?t=12m

I will add a few more things though:

Personally, I'd recommend making it family friendly to reach a larger audience. However, it's up to you. If you decided not to stay PG, I'd recommend making it clear on the onset to listeners, so if they have kids around (which a lot of us do) and they don't want them to hear certain stuff, they know to listen to it when they're around.

And remember: Robotic co-hosts are the latest trend!!! :D

Also, don't be discouraged if you start out with a very small audience. It is a VERY crowded field out there and you are covering a lesser appreciated system. But on the plus side, be prepared for some listeners just thrilled someone is covering the TG16.

And finally, always keep first things first. For most of us, making a podcast our main job, so if you ever have to delay a show for your work, your health, your family, your faith and so on, that's OK! 

• Justin, fergojisan and Starbuck66 like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#6 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 217 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

I second everything Phil said. I think not cursing (even though I curse like a sailor in real life) has helped me get more audience.

And every other week is a great idea. I know a lot of podcasters say to stick to a schedule, but I have a hard time doing that. Just do the best you can and you'll grow your audience, they will wait for you. :)

#7 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

I am planning on family friendly. I think one of the big things that people love to do in our hobby is share it with their kids, kind of pass it on to the next generation as it were, and keeping the foul language out of the picture definitely helps. I can also drop some foul language with the best? worst? of them, but I don't want to include it in the podcast.

And yes Phil, I should have said with lasers blazing! I'm really really excited to talk about Blazing Lasers; its one of the main reasons I wanted a TG-16 in the first place.

Definitely going to take the advice on FTF as well; this is a hobby after all, not the most important thing in life.

• Justin likes this

#8 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

How exciting!  Good luck, you'll do great I'm sure. 

#9 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:52 AM

Just out of curiosity, are you doing it under your own name or as Starbuck?

• Justin likes this

#10 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

My own name, Bryce, didn’t figure there was any point in going with a screen name for it :-)
  • Justin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users