Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Gameboy printer (region?) Problems?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,283 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

Ok so a while ago Lost Dragon game me a gameboy pocket with a gameboy camera. So i finally found a reasonable priced gameboy camera and couldn't wait to try it out.

I went to the local game shop and they only had 3rd party link cables made by tomee. So i got home turned everything on and connected them together. I took a picture and hit print, but i got a printer error #2 everytime i try to print it says the same thing.

So i thought to myself the gameboy and gameboy camera are pal and the printer is ntsc. I even tried the camera in my original Gameboy. The game came on, but still printer error #2.

So im trying to figure out the problem. I thought that all of Nintendo handhelds were region free? Or could it be the cable? Thoughts? Thanks yall

#2 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,715 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

Printer error #2 means either the printer is not turned on or the printer batteries are dead or the cable is not working.
  • jmjustin6 likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#3 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,283 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Printer error #2 means either the printer is not turned on or the printer batteries are dead or the cable is not working.

Hmm well its definitely on and they are brand new batteries

#4 dgrubb

dgrubb

• 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

I thought that all of Nintendo handhelds were region free? Or could it be the cable? Thoughts? Thanks yall

Yep, all Nintendo handhelds up until the DS Lite are region free, which I was surprised to find out considering how particular Nintendo are about protecting the integrity of their platforms. Because the screens are all LCD you don't have to worry about region specific video signal encoding either (i.e., PAL vs. NTSC).

Are you sure the printer is working correctly? You can print a test message by holding down the "Feed" button while powering it on.

#5 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,283 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

Ok a friend of mine had a Nintendo brand link cable and we tested it out and it works. So i need a new cable. Also its really faded. So im gonna be looking for some kind of paper replacement in the near future

#6 Jin

Jin

• 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

Glad you figured out the issue! As far as the print quality goes, thermal paper is one of those things that only has a couple years shelf life to it so new production thermal printer paper is necessary if you want to get legible print quality. To give you a practical example, here's a comparison of an image I printed using my Game Boy Printer. The picture on the left was printed using new production thermal paper the picture on the right (which is the same image) was printed with the long-expired official Nintendo brand thermal paper: 

aYMnPlg.jpg

As you can see, new production printer paper is necessary. :lol: The printer paper goes for $14.50 per 5-pack and can be purchased here: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B0000DBMGL/

• RickR and jmjustin6 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users