Squad Challenge - Asteroids (Atari 2600)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Asteroids
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 8, Difficulty A

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST December 31st, 2017

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between December 1st through December 31st, 2017. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 8, Set Difficulty Switches to A. These Difficulty Settings provide for: Faster Speed, Hyperspace, the addition of UFOs and Satellites, and No Extra Lives. Game 8 / Difficulty A should be a fun challenge! Faster Speed is a good twist for Asteroids players who used to playing on default settings, and No Extra Lives prevents an endless game.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Asteroids.binAsteroids.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

I often forget how great this game is for 2600. 

BItD my console had a broken game select switch so I'd only ever play game #1 on a cart ,

I like the fact this variation each ship matters. and hyperspace in which you would never usually use matters a great deal

I can only imagine this happening ....

I'm shocked I was able to pull this off. Most of my scores ended in the teens, then I started hitting the 20's, but today I passed 30k.

post-303-0-06473800-1513795465_thumb.jpg

Atari Greatest Hits Vol 1, DS

Played on a 3DS 

It's can be really tricky, because on this compilation, A, which is the action button in games, turns into the reset button after your game ends, and if I'm in the middle of button mashing when I lose my last life, I can reset the game and lose my score. I'm just glad it didn't happen this time!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube