Atarileaf YouTube Videos

Atarileaf

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Shared your own YouTube video!"

Atarileaf was awarded the badge 'Totally Tubular' and 50 points.

Hello all. Justin pointed out to me this special section of the forums for posting one's own youtube videos so I thought I'd start one. These are my last two reviews, not necessarily last two videos but reviews. Enjoy ☺️

The Dreadnaught Factor for Atari XL/XE computers:

Draconian homebrew for the 2600:

Hey guys, I can personally attest to Atarileaf's channel and to how great a guy he is to follow. I've been watching his videos since 2010 and have always enjoyed his channel. Atarileaf, along with MaximumRD and myself were kind of part of a group of guys on YouTube about eight years ago when YouTube was a smaller, friendlier place, and you could easily send PMs between members and post "open tag" videos and tag your friends to respond. None of our channels reached the height of channels like AVGN or Gamester81, but that was kind of the point wasn't it? It was a really nice community of some really cool people who genuinely loved classic gaming - and making YouTube videos!

People sometimes ask me "Why the need for another Atari site?" Probably the biggest inspiration for building this site came from being part of that old YouTube community that Atarileaf and MaximumRD were a part of, being there for that, being in a smaller group of friendly faces, and then having Google effectively pull that away from us, when they removed PM functionality from YouTube and pushed us all into using G+. After that happened, everything became monetized, things got serious, it just wasn't the same. I wanted to build something to recreate that little community. That's a big reason why I've always tried to incorporate YouTube creators and podcasts into the forums, create this "YouTube Community" forum and try to go the extra mile to promote our member's YouTube channels. YouTube, podcast, and other content creators are a big part of what keeps the conversation going and the hobby moving along. People put lots of work into videos and podcasts and I hope we're doing some small part to help share their content with the world.

I really liked the reviews you posted Atarileaf! I didn't make the connection between The Last Jedi and The Dreadnaught Factor until I saw your video. And Draconian is fantastic! They did a tremendous job on Draconian, it's a great port of Bosconian for the 2600. The scrolling is beautiful and everything came out absolutely awesome. Definitely one of my top Atari 2600 homebrews of all time.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome, it is quite a bit like that old youtube crew of years past. That small intimate group that I enjoyed talking and sharing with back then. I'm glad I finally joined :)

Me too Atarileaf, so glad you're here! Now we can start posting videos with open-tags for other members in the forum  :wreck-it-ralph:

Your videos are great.  I just subscribed. 

I had the pleasure of playing Draconian at a gaming show, and I was astounded.  Especially the speech.  Holy moly, it's even more impressive than the homebrew version of Bosconian for the Atari 8-bit computers. 

And I'm glad you are here too.  :beer:

I've been back and forth on whether to make an actual video but I may just leave it be and post it here - I'm quitting youtube for good. I haven't completely lost my passion for retro gaming but I've lost my passion for collecting. I'd sold so much in the last few months you could barely call it a collection. I'm only keeping what I enjoy playing and don't plan on buying more than the occasional homebrew. I'm down to 42 unique 2600 games from over 300 a few years ago. I've sold many of my extra 2600 4 switch models. I've sold all my SNES and Genesis consoles. I'm toying with the idea of dropping the 800XL/XEGS collection and just keeping my 2600/7800/NES collections as small as they are. Last year my entire Tandy Coco, CV, C64, TG-16 collections among others have been completely sold. It's not even a game room anymore. On the plus side, the money is good to have :)

As such there's nothing to make videos about and my desire has been waning in the last couple of years. I almost force myself to make them anymore and I felt more obligation than joy when making my last few. 

This is not a "woe is me" kind of post but I think some who've followed me over the years, and I can say have become my online friends like many of you here, do deserve some kind of explanation for my absence. I know it bothers me when someone I've followed for years suddenly drops off the face of the earth. Times change, people change and I'm getting to the age where, for me, it's time to let most of this stuff go and move on to other things. Thankfully we still have great people like NoSwearGamer and ArcadeUSA (who I still watch religiously) who are exceeding anything I've ever done both in quantity and quality. 

I'll still be around lurking and watching as I do still love to play. I will still be around, and all the videos I've made will remain up, but it's time for the Atarileaf channel to ride into the sunset. Thanks for all your support over the years and I'll leave you with a quote I have in my game room that always rings true to me:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" 

Edited by Atarileaf

Always liked Atarileaf vids, he has been a inspiration for me :)   And Justin, I really like the Atari.IO site, it seems to be much friendlier over here :)   I need a good site promotion animation vid I can put in my projects to help promote it more, especially if I am doing a Atari vid.

My Youtube Channel Arcade USA! - https://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512

I totally understand too Atarileaf.  I've been downsizing my collection too (not to the extent you have....yet). 

I do hope you come back here often to try out the games on the High Score Squad.  Those can be done via emulation, and it's really fun to play the game with the other users here to get tips and such.  It feels really good to me to really focus and play the games instead of being out on the hunt for more stuff to buy.  I hope you'll give it a shot. 

Willie -- your videos are truly great.  Don't you go downsizing now! 

You will be missed but I totally understand Atarileaf! I will only say I was glad to have gotten to know you and enjoy your videos and I am thankful for it, one of the old time original crew in the youtube retro gaming circles! CHEERS !  :beer: 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

That's really heartbreaking news Atarileaf! You and Maximum RD were the first channels I ever subscribed to so many years ago. I'm sad that you're leaving and I hope you'll still pop into the forums sometimes, we love having you here!

Always liked Atarileaf vids, he has been a inspiration for me :)   And Justin, I really like the Atari.IO site, it seems to be much friendlier over here :)   I need a good site promotion animation vid I can put in my projects to help promote it more, especially if I am doing a Atari vid.

We have one or two things but our YouTube channel got axed for no apparent reason. I have to reupload stuff to a new channel. I'll get you something asap! Thanks Willie!

vader-nooooo.jpg

I'm sad to see you go, but I totally understand.

For me, there are definitely days when I don't feel like making videos, and it start to feel more like a job and less fun.

Are you closing your channel? I wouldn't be surprised if someday the bug hits you and you have the desire to put up another video or two.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

vader-nooooo.jpg

For me, there are definitely days when I don't feel like making videos, and it start to feel more like a job and less fun.

Are you closing your channel? I wouldn't be surprised if someday the bug hits you and you have the desire to put up another video or two.

Agreed. And Atarileaf, you're still invited to post your older videos in this thread. Other members may not have found your channel before and may enjoy your videos.

vader-nooooo.jpg

Thanks NSG :) No I won't shut the channel down. Too much effort over the years to just delete anything. I see other channels over the years do that (Jboypacman comes to mind) and I don't understand the need. I'll keep it up for archival purposes and you're right, never say never. The difference this time is I've pretty much gutted my collection to the bare minimum so unless I'm wowed by something in the future I can't see making anything

That's really heartbreaking news Atarileaf! You and Maximum RD were the first channels I ever subscribed to so many years ago. I'm sad that you're leaving and I hope you'll still pop into the forums sometimes, we love having you here!

We have one or two things but our YouTube channel got axed for no apparent reason. I have to reupload stuff to a new channel. I'll get you something asap! Thanks Willie!

Oh don't worry I'm staying Justin. I actually only post on this site anymore. It's a nice easy going group here. :)

Well since I haven't made a new video in months, and it's almost hockey season again, I thought I'd post one of my old videos - A history of hockey video games. I had removed several videos from my channel years ago and put them on Dailymotion to avoid youtubes copyright crackdown because of music in some of them. (Does anyone even use Dailymotion?)

There are some goofs in the video, it's not in high def, and yes I realize the Jets exist again now but when I made this in 2011, they were still the Atlanta Thrashers.  :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xesapd

Well since I haven't made a new video in months, and it's almost hockey season again, I thought I'd post one of my old videos - A history of hockey video games. I had removed several videos from my channel years ago and put them on Dailymotion to avoid youtubes copyright crackdown because of music in some of them. (Does anyone even use Dailymotion?)

There are some goofs in the video, it's not in high def, and yes I realize the Jets exist again now but when I made this in 2011, they were still the Atlanta Thrashers.  :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xesapd

Hockey is always a good topic for discussion.