Atari I/O Retro Junk Box 11: Stranger Things

Here is what I took from the box

yep, nothing :P  but I did put some cool stuff in there :)

I'm very sorry you didn't find anything you like  :(

Thanks for adding to it though and passing it on.

Is the junk box starting to become too "junky"?

I certainly hope not. This is a first for the junk box. There is always a chance with people such as myself, who have large collections, that it can be hard to find something you want that you don't already have. Perhaps this was just a case like that with Willie this time. But we shall see as the box finishes its journey. We can always talk about adjusting the rules if need be after the box is done.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

It's important that there's enough "good junk" inside the box to justify the shipping costs. I'm looking at some of these hauls and sometimes it doesn't look like $18.90 worth of stuff, if you know what I mean. People won't want to participate if it's not worth it to them. Let's keep the junk box alive  ;)

oh I put some stuff in there I think ole Atari Creep may like :)

Thanks man!!!!

It's important that there's enough "good junk" inside the box to justify the shipping costs. I'm looking at some of these hauls and sometimes it doesn't look like $18.90 worth of stuff, if you know what I mean. People won't want to participate if it's not worth it to them. Let's keep the junk box alive  ;)

Honestly, for me it is not about the value. Ya it would be nice to make up the $20 in shipping but its more the excitement of seeing what others take, not knowing what is left behind/added and then getting the box and going through it. What happened to Willie sucks on EVERY level and I can see that turning folks away from the entire thing, maybe to a point where we just don't do junk boxes anymore. Hopefully the next one will go a bit better for everyone!!!!!  

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I think the main issue we have right now is that a lot of us participating on the box already have HUGE collections.  It's hard to find stuff not only to take, but to put back in (for example, I have a hard time thinking of stuff to put in that Willie or NSG, etc, might not already have).  We need to get some new collectors involved and sandwich them on the list between us old-timers. 

And I completely agree with The Atari Creep -- it isn't about the money for me either...more about fun and trying to share good stuff with others. 

I was just thinking about putting together a list of everything I have in my "duplicates" box and posting it in a new "Trading Post" post here on a 1 for 1 trade basis, then sharing that on Facebook to see if we could get a few new faces here.  We did this a few years back and I ended up sending out a ton of games. 

I was just thinking about putting together a list of everything I have in my "duplicates" box and posting it in a new "Trading Post" post here on a 1 for 1 trade basis, then sharing that on Facebook to see if we could get a few new faces here.  We did this a few years back and I ended up sending out a ton of games. 

That sounds like an awesome idea Rick  :thumb:  :thumb: 

And I completely agree with The Atari Creep -- it isn't about the money for me either...more about fun and trying to share good stuff with others. 

THIS!

If your goal is to make money off the box or if you are hoping to put in ten copies of Combat to snag a copy of Stadium Events, then the box isn't for you. The Box is about community and fun! Sometimes you might get lucky and find some stuff you always wanted. Other times, you might not find anything you really need, but you can still enjoy rummaging through the box and adding something for someone else like Willie did. The box should be viewed more as an experience to share, not as a straight business transaction!

(And yes, we want everyone to be fair with what they put in and avoid filling the box with real junk. You should always look at the box and ask yourself, is there something I have that the next guy might want and does the box have a nice variety in it to cover more bases)

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

If your goal is to make money off the box or if you are hoping to put in ten copies of Combat to snag a copy of Stadium Events, then the box isn't for you. 

I don't know how many people are out here trying to make money off of the junk box, maybe there are some and that would be a shame. What I don't want to happen is for an enthusiastic Atari I/O member to open up the box, dig through the contents and get that immediate sinking feeling in their gut like "wow this wasn't worth the trouble."

I don't know how many people are out here trying to make money off of the junk box, maybe there are some and that would be a shame. What I don't want to happen is for an enthusiastic Atari I/O member to open up the box, dig through the contents and get that immediate sinking feeling in their gut like "wow this wasn't worth the trouble."

Oh please don't get me wrong! I would hate for that to happen too! I was bummed that Willie didn't find anything, and even reached out to him to see if there was anything I had he could use to help make up for it! Thankfully, most people have really enjoyed the box! We've done 11(!) boxes, with many repeat participants.   And when we do them, the thread tend to be one of the most active and they help energize the forums too!

However, what I am saying, is maybe we need to make sure everyone has a realistic expectation of the box. One of the funnest aspects is the mystery of what's inside! However, being a mystery means it may or may not have something super exciting for you. There always that chance, especially if you have a large collection. For instance, I know for me, that if a 2600,7800 or Intellivision game is in the box, I most likely already have it. And that goes for several other systems as well. But I still do it for fun!

The point of the box was to put in games & such that are either extras from your collection, or simply games you are done with. For the most part, this has worked really well. However, with these boxes, there can be people who look at this mostly financially, taking out the pricier more unique items, and replacing it with cheap and common items. Unfortunately this has happened in the past, but thankfully it is not the norm, as most people "get it".

Also, the box probably isn't for someone who has a massive collection that lacks mostly obscure and/or rare stuff.  Odds are most user aren't getting rid of their crown jewels. 

But if you don't mind covering the postage for a chance to look through a box full of swap-able retro goodies, then the box may be for you! It's not perfect, and there have been times I didn't see much that excited me, but I always look forward to it and never regret participating.

Absolutely fantastic video Chris.  You got some really cool stuff.

• The TI version of Demon Attack is spectacular.  You gotta grab the computer from your mother-in-law and give this game a shot.  If you've got a voice module too, this game does a little taunting.
  • Gorf for 8-bit - really nice indeed.  I don't have this one on cart, but the disk version is great.
  • Space Vultures!  WOW!  I collect for Arcadia 2001, and it's really hard to find games.  That's one I don't have, but there's a lot I don't have.  Don't feel bad about keeping it.  Part of the fun of the junk box is to take stuff that just looks cool to you.  Enjoy! 

Nice picks Creep!

1) Starbuck66 MI

2) RickR OR

3) btbfilms76 CA

4) TrekMD FL

5) Willie! NC

6) Atari Creep MA

7) correagonzalez VA

8) NSG TN

Almost done! This box has moved fast.

FYI - I'm in discussions on how to improve the box. Feel free to pm me with any ideas you may have.

Edited by nosweargamer

Absolutely fantastic video Chris.  You got some really cool stuff.

• The TI version of Demon Attack is spectacular.  You gotta grab the computer from your mother-in-law and give this game a shot.  If you've got a voice module too, this game does a little taunting.
  • Gorf for 8-bit - really nice indeed.  I don't have this one on cart, but the disk version is great.
  • Space Vultures!  WOW!  I collect for Arcadia 2001, and it's really hard to find games.  That's one I don't have, but there's a lot I don't have.  Don't feel bad about keeping it.  Part of the fun of the junk box is to take stuff that just looks cool to you.  Enjoy! 

Oh dude, far be it from me to keep something out of the hands of anyone that would truly enjoy it because I think it looks cool. Message me and lets see if we can't get it in your hands brother. 

Nice picks Creep!

If that copy of Jedi Arena makes it on your show someday, that would be an I/O crossover, since it was my review copy!

1) Starbuck66 MI

2) RickR OR

3) btbfilms76 CA

4) TrekMD FL

5) Willie! NC

6) Atari Creep MA

7) correagonzalez VA

8) NSG TN

Almost done! This box has moved fast.

FYI - I'm in discussions on how to improve the box. Feel free to pm me with any ideas you may have.

Jedi Arena? That was an earlier pick bud. 

Jedi Arena? That was an earlier pick bud. 

I have no idea what you're talking about!!! (quickly deletes extra stuff accidentally inserted from cutting and pasting...)

Oh dude, far be it from me to keep something out of the hands of anyone that would truly enjoy it because I think it looks cool. Message me and lets see if we can't get it in your hands brother. 

No problem at all! Besides, I came before you on the box list. That's just how it works. Maybe if you ever get tired of its cool look, or can't find a console, we can trade at some future point. But no worries at all.

I have no idea what you're talking about!!! (quickly deletes extra stuff accidentally inserted from cutting and pasting...)

Haha

No problem at all! Besides, I came before you on the box list. That's just how it works. Maybe if you ever get tired of its cool look, or can't find a console, we can trade at some future point. But no worries at all.

I'm easy bro. Just say the word bro and its yours. And thanks for the kind words about my video.

Edited by Atari Creep

I look at it this way: there’s no guarantees on items being in the box that I want, and no guarantees on the stuff I have being wanted by others. I have what I have, and I try to participate.

If you have to go out and shop specifically for individuals on the list, you’re kind of taking the “junk” out of junk box, and turning it into more of a secret Santa thing. Like others have said, this isn’t for profit or getting your 20 bucks worth, this is for fun. Generally there’s something in there everyone will want, and if not there’s always next time. Kudos to Willie for paying it forward.

I NEVER even thought about items from the box as being an "investment" or comparing what I took out to the cost of shipping. The cost of shipping the box never even registered in my mind.

I stopped participating, not because of the quality of the items, but for other reasons. Moving to a new house with a LOT less space (forcing me to purge a lot of what I already had) & the fact that what I collect is actually quite limited to what everyone else does. I don't have an Intellivision or Colecovision. I have the majority of the 2600, NES & Genesis games I want and rarely is there a N64 or Dreamcast game. I found myself finding less & less stuff that I wanted to take and it didn't feel right to participate if I was going to force myself to take something out.

That's not a comment on what you guys send out because it's cool & fun to see, but I'm personally limited to what I want to take.

Just my thoughts.  :)

Edited by StormSurge