Must have Atari Lynx games?

jmjustin6

On 4/26/2020 at 2:19 PM, MalakZero said:

New Lynx owner here, liking the recommendations thus far! Hows "Shadow of the Beast" on this unit? The Sega version was a big let down...

As a lover of Shadow of the Beast game, my experience was the port for Turbo Duo back when it was released, I can say hands down that the Lynx port is amazing in its own right. I will be covering this game on the next few Lynx Lounge episodes as we look at platform games and hero’s that run right. 

Do yourself a favor and pick it up. 

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Games and accessories I want to acquire:

Rampage

Xenophobe

Gordo 106

Warbirds

NFL Football

Tournament Cyberball

Malibu Beach Bikini Volleyball (I believe that is the name of the game, but it is volleyball)

Shadow of the Beast

Switchblade II

Basketbrawl

Hockey

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter

Chip's Challenge

Scrapyard Dog

Zarlor Mercenary

Gates of Zendocon

Fat Bobby

Bubble Trouble

Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop

Rampart

Blockout

An Atari Lynx I game system (I already have the Atari Lynx II)

If possible, extra ComLynx cables (for multiplayer support)

I have 32 games for my Atari Lynx II already, but this is a list of games that I would like to get. If I get another extra Lynx II, I might get it fitted with the McWill upgrade screen and VGA port (so it could be hooked up to a TV or monitor for full-screen gameplay), but I have not decided that yet.

I also have heard about someone turning a Lynx into a console. It is on YouTube in three parts on the channel Retro Revolutions. It is pretty good. He used an A2600 shell and rebuilt the Lynx into a console. It works well, too! I would not go that far to do that, but a McWill sounds interesting. I am a bonafide purist when it comes to preserving my game collection, so I might not do that at all. We'll see. Thanks for letting me share. :O)

On 5/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, BlackCatz40 said:

Games and accessories I want to acquire:

Rampage

Xenophobe

Gordo 106

Warbirds

NFL Football

Tournament Cyberball

Malibu Beach Bikini Volleyball (I believe that is the name of the game, but it is volleyball)

Shadow of the Beast

Switchblade II

Basketbrawl

Hockey

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter

Chip's Challenge

Scrapyard Dog

Zarlor Mercenary

Gates of Zendocon

Fat Bobby

Bubble Trouble

Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop

Rampart

Blockout

An Atari Lynx I game system (I already have the Atari Lynx II)

If possible, extra ComLynx cables (for multiplayer support)

I have 32 games for my Atari Lynx II already, but this is a list of games that I would like to get. If I get another extra Lynx II, I might get it fitted with the McWill upgrade screen and VGA port (so it could be hooked up to a TV or monitor for full-screen gameplay), but I have not decided that yet.

I also have heard about someone turning a Lynx into a console. It is on YouTube in three parts on the channel Retro Revolutions. It is pretty good. He used an A2600 shell and rebuilt the Lynx into a console. It works well, too! I would not go that far to do that, but a McWill sounds interesting. I am a bonafide purist when it comes to preserving my game collection, so I might not do that at all. We'll see. Thanks for letting me share. :O)

I have to agree with BC on nabbing a Lynx I just to see the difference.

11 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Yeah. No graphical differences between models. But, the Lynx I looks like a dog bone. I had one once, but it was stolen. Joy.

I've always loved the stealthy looks of the Lynx model II. Top down it's still reminiscent of the dog bone shape, but more compact and angular and very comfortable to hold during long car rides.

40 minutes ago, Justin said:

I've always loved the stealthy looks of the Lynx model II. Top down it's still reminiscent of the dog bone shape, but more compact and angular and very comfortable to hold during long car rides.

This is true. I like both revisions of the Lynx. I might get a Lynx I some day, but not soon. They are extremely rare, you know. Of course.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

The Lynx II is a sexy unit.  The first one looks a lot like a toy skateboard or surfboard to me. I prefer the second model. I just enjoy collecting hardware lol.

2 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

The Lynx II is a sexy unit.  The first one looks a lot like a toy skateboard or surfboard to me. I prefer the second model. I just enjoy collecting hardware lol.

The problem with first model for me isn't the looks, or the size which I think too much is made of. It's just the fact that the plastic is painted. It's not actually grey plastic, it's a milky white, and after time the color wears away. That's not a quality way of going about things. Thankfully the Lynx II was an improvement in most ways (but not all!)

I've only owned a Lynx II and I really like how it feels in the hands.  I have been able to hold a Lynx I at retro events and it doesn't feel like the same.  I also don't like the pain issue.  It cheapens the system. 

By the way, make sure to get Ms. Pac-Man.  The game has the original mazes but also has extra mazes that take advantage of the wide screen on the Lynx.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

On 2/18/2018 at 9:09 AM, nosweargamer said:

I would recommend staying away from Hard Drivin and Kung Food.

I have Kung Food, but it is difficult and challenging to play. Crazy premise for a game, though. I would collect Hard Drivin' just for the sake of collecting it. I had it once, along with a Lynx I system. It was robbed from me by a "friend" of my brother's. I put the word "friend" in quotation marks because I am being sarcastic about him.

I've owned both the Lynx I and II.  In fact, I have one of each new in the box.  The I is in shrink-wrap where as the two was never sealed.  That said, my childhood Lynx was a II and I got a used Lynx I later when buying games off eBay.  I was never impressed with the I.  The D-Pad on it just didn't feel great, the screen wasn't as good, and the ergonomics were nowhere near as comfortable.  The only reason I bought a new one was because it was cheap and I figured it didn't hurt having some spares around as it's my personal favorite handheld.