Anniversary of the release of the Legend of Zelda

Museum Matt

Yesterday marked the 32nd Anniversary of the release of the Legend of Zelda for the NES.

I got the game in 1987 at 9 years old, and I can tell you, I was hooked.  Fascinated...amazed.  My Dad and my Aunt got into the game too.  Played it for hours...days...an entire weekend....just to beat the game.

Those are memories I'll have forever, and I'm thankful for them.  I played the next few Zelda games, but to me, nothing will ever compare to the feeling I had as a kid, playing the original game.

What are some of your Legend of Zelda memories?

- Museum Matt

I didn't have an NES at the time, but a friend did...and this game was incredible. 

My main feeling was a little bit of sadness.  Why?  Because ask most people my age their favorite 2600 game, and over 50% will say "Adventure".  But Atari NEVER made another game like it.  Zelda was that game.  Its roots are clearly seen in "Adventure".  I always consider it the spiritual successor to Atari Adventure.  So, sadness in Atari never realizing what they had and building on it -- expanding it -- into something great like Zelda and the Zelda series. 

I never had it as a kid, but I remember being mezmerized by that gold cartridge. I played it a few times at friends or cousins houses, but my main Zelda games I played as a kid were Link’s Awakening on the Game Boy and Link to the Past on the SNES.

When I first started collecting again 5 years ago I found I had a copy someone had given me in the early 2000’s. I had bought and been given some loose games and collected for a little while back then for my NES that I had retrieved from my parents when I moved out in 2000. I loaded it up and beat it, and I’m so glad I went back and played it. It still holds up well today, and I want to beat the second quest at some point.

We also played pass the controller style at Thanksgiving last year at my in-laws house on my daughter’s NES mini, and that was a blast! We only broke out walkthroughs if everyone was stumped, otherwise we played from memory or from collective strategy. Good times!