Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Installing a floppy emulator in an ST computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,278 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

I went ahead and did it -- installed a floppy emulator in my Atari ST. 

What is it?  A GOTEK floppy emulator allows you to place disk images on a USB memory stick and run them on a vintage PC.  It can run almost any of the images you can find on the internet, but the speed is identical to a real floppy drive. 

Why?  Why?  Are you nuts?  Why NOT!  In all seriousness, the Commodore Amiga I just purchased came with one of these, and I was so impressed with it, I decided to install the same in my ST.  The ability to load any games via USB?  I'm IN!

Where did you get it?  I purchased on ebay from a nice fellow from Greece.  Search for "Atari GOTEK" and pick your favorite.  I ended up not buying the cheapest item.  But this seller had a lot of good information on his listing and also answered my questions before purchase.  Shipping was much faster than expected. 

Here's some shots of the item as it came:

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 001-FIXED.jpg

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 002.JPG

Here is my Atari 520STFM before surgery

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 004.JPG

Please note: my ST case has been hacked to use a PC floppy drive.  I'm not happy about it, but I got a good deal.

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 005.JPG

Here's the inside "before".

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 006.JPG

And here's the emulator installed:

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 010.JPG

Fired it up, and it works perfectly!  You simply choose the directory and game, and press the F7 key to boot that image.

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 014.JPG

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 015.JPG

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 016.JPG

Atari ST Floppy Emulator 017.JPG

The only secret is to put to config files in the root directory of your USB memory stick.  Easy!

• MaximumRD and dgrubb like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,278 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:27 AM

I've spent a lot of time today playing Atari ST games.  It might be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison with the Amiga since their libraries are so similar.  I used to think that the Amiga blew the ST away with games, but it's not true.  Amiga is better, but it isn't a huge margin.  They are very, very similar.  Games on the ST remind me a lot of Sega Genesis games.  The Amiga appears to have better resolution and smoother scrolling. Amiga has better sound. 

The computers themselves look about identical. They use the exact same joystick and mouse setup.  If anything, I'm shocked at how good the ST is given the way it was thrown together so quickly.   

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go Amiga, since it looks and sounds better for games.  But they are both worthwhile to own and explore.  Both completely blow away the original Macs for gaming. 

Edited by RickR, 04 March 2018 - 01:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users