Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Secretum Labyrinth: Dark Castles (WIP first look)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peteym5

peteym5

Strawberry Member

• 80 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

"Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles" first look. Early Work in Progress of changes I am making to this Role Playing Game Engine for the Atari 8-bit. This is showing some changes I am making to the title splash screen. Put a graphic behind the Title text on this one giving it an atmosphere of an Adventure game. I have been optimizing the engine, room drawing routines, and monster movement to open up more room in the RAM to allow more stuff to happen. Hoping to add stuff like currency and markets, spells, items to get past points in the game, and many other things. New music is being composed. A new and different interactive story is being worked on. The text you see in the video is of a real early draft. We need to keep this part a secret because their is some proprietary information in there that may be under copyright. We will reveal the final draft when the cartridge is ready.

• Justin, kamakazi20012, A31Chris and 1 other like this

#2 peteym5

peteym5

Strawberry Member

• 80 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

To keep everyone in the loop. Here is a Work in Progress of how I am making the weapons animations better. I still have to come up with some weapons have advantages and disadvantages. I am thinking about having Arrow reshoot time slowing because I know Bow and Arrows are not suppose to act like a machine gun. 

• Justin likes this

#3 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

I really like the animation on the axe. That's a pretty nice looking sprite on the 8-Bit.

• Osgeld likes this

#4 peteym5

peteym5

Strawberry Member

• 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

Here is an update

I am showing the forest village over-world with some differences when you select different quests, some of the leads between rooms get blocked and new ones open up. Also shows defeating enemies and money to purchase items. Some what happens when bumping into scrolls and display texts that tell story, ask riddles, or provide hints.  I populated the game world with more items, and adding new traps and obstacles for you to figure out.  The new room data encryption process allows for being more compact and encoded, to have a much larger map. The video recording has been fragmented and edited back together out of sequence so when the game is released, you will have a fresh new experience for playing this game for the first time.

New features include, collecting currency, buying items. New items with new functions. Text from scrolls can ask questions/riddles. Multiple choice ones be able to perform different action for each choice. Many new monsters, and capable of having many more rooms in same memory area. Cannot reveal all the features as I am still making progress.

This is the video of Secretum Labyrinth Dark Castles, and not  Secretum Labyrinth The Legend, which is the earlier game with some differences. Different music, some different monsters, and weapon animations. 

Secretum Labyrinth games require 64K RAM (48K + 16K RAM under OS ROM.) Run on 800XL, 65XE, 130XE, XEGS. 1200XL, as long as it using a compatible XL OS ROM. 600XL with ram expansion modification. Not known if games will run on 400/800 with that "incognito" device. If someone has one of those and did purchase the cartridge, let me know if it worked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users