Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Toys "R" Us Memories

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,064 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

I have a soft spot for TRU.

I decided to hang this Lynx game box on the wall, simply for the TRU price sticker:

(I think I got this in a trade with RickR)

IMG_7479.JPG

Also, I'm happy you posted about the display cards. I built a nice collection of them, although I only plan on keep a few in the long run.

I would really like to find one of those strips they hung on, but for now, I McGyvered some plastic paper report binders with yarn to start hanging them on my wall.

IMG_7480.JPG

• Justin, RickR and StormSurge like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#42 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:42 PM

You know, I completely forgot until now but I used to have a stack of display cards. They were for PlayStation and N64. I think they're long gone but I'll keep an eye out. Excellent post nosweargamer! Every time I'd print off one of those price labels I'd always wonder what they would have been for Lynx, what the SKN would've been on these, etc. etc. (On your Crystal Mines II cartridge it's 87-2210. Every product in the store has that magic number and was how we could look things up).

• RickR likes this

#43 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Received this email last night from Toys "R" Us Membership Rewards. The end is near. They're even selling store fixtures. If you guys wanted something cool from the video game department, now is the time to go ask for it.

toys_r_us_email_everything_must_go.png

• RickR likes this

#44 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

TOYS "R" US AFTER HOURS

This photo was taken just after work in the Toys "R" Us parking lot. I'm with Jennifer, a girl I was seeing at the time. No store fixtures or video games in this picture, but it's a great slice of life from what a normal day was like working at Toys "R" Us. This is a perfect example of the blue/khaki work clothes that could easily transform into casual clothes after hours. On a day like this I probably would have worked from 8AM - 5PM, gotten off work and taken Jennifer to dinner somewhere near by. Our Toys "R" Us was located in the vicinity of a pretty nice mall, and there were lots of other stores and good restaurants in the area.

Life was much easier when we had the blue/khaki uniforms. These were our own clothes and we were comfortable in them. You could buy your clothes anywhere, they could be cheap, expensive, whatever, as long as you wore a light blue button up shirt and khaki pants. I really appreciated this because 1.) I'm pretty tall and it's challenging for me to find nice fitting clothes, store uniforms never really fit me very well, and 2.) blue/khaki can pass for regular clothes when we're off work, so it was super easy to wear a grey undershirt, unbutton the blue overshirt when we got off work and go about the day. We didn't have to keep work uniforms in our locker, it was easy to keep up with laundry, and it made days like these possible. When 5PM came it was easy enough to clean up "R"-Zone, punch out, and go on a date or do anything else. It helped make the job feel more like school than work. This all changed after the store concept change and the red/black uniforms came in.

IMG_6272.JPG

With Jennifer After Hours Outside Toys "R" Us

This is what we looked like at the end of a long work day

I'm still wearing my blue/khaki work clothes in this photo

It was easy to unbutton my shirt and go on with my day

The blue/khaki outfits were our own clothes from home

These were replaced by the red/black uniforms given to us by TRU

• RickR and StormSurge like this

#45 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,313 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

It's one of those things....how often does the corporate office contact and ask their most valuable asset (front-line employees) about things instead of making changes arbitrarily?  And honestly, how many customers care or notice about things like uniform changes?  Not to mention the added expense to the company with no real benefit. 

Reminds me of a local store here in Oregon that got bought and then spent a ton of money changing the name of the store from "GI Joe's" to "Joe's".  Dumb, dumb, dumb....the old name had a long history in the area.  Wasted money for no benefit.  They were out of business within a few years.  (PS - GI Joe's is where we got our first Atari VCS.  The original box I still have has a GI Joe's price tag on it). 

Edited by RickR, 30 March 2018 - 01:10 PM.

• Justin and StormSurge like this

#46 Dan Iacovelli

Dan Iacovelli

Pretzel Member

• 428 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

It's one of those things....how often does the corporate office contact and ask their most valuable asset (front-line employees) about things instead of making changes arbitrarily?  And honestly, how many customers care or notice about things like uniform changes?  Not to mention the added expense to the company with no real benefit. 

Reminds me of a local store here in Oregon that got bought and then spent a ton of money changing the name of the store from "GI Joe's" to "Joe's".  Dumb, dumb, dumb....the old name had a long history in the area.  Wasted money for no benefit.  They were out of business withing a few years. 

that happened with Dominick's in IL in way after safeway brought us, before that the store had domicks brand items and then after safeway brought it
they replaced the Dominck's brand items with Safeway brand items,and they started to loose business.
thats not the reason they shut down the domincks the fact is that they were already be planned to be brought out by another local chain Jewel
and to avoid the monopoly the closed down Dominicks. but now Jewel is becoming like domicks

• Justin likes this

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

#47 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,160 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos & memories Justin. Very cool stuff.

NSG, those cards are fantastic! I'd be interested in some when the time comes to purge.

I don't have many memories of TRU from when I was young. I didn't live near one. I was fascinated by the commercials & the only one that was in Connecticut was in Orange, which was not close. I know I never saw a road sign for Orange & I would ask my Dad how far it was and the answer was always "too far". When we would visit my cousins in New Jersey, we would drive by some and all I wanted to do was go inside.

Eventually one opened near me but I was around 13 or so. No more collecting Star Wars or GI Joe toys & Atari was gone too. Eventually the NES came around but I would find games at local department stores. When I started buying my own games around the time of the Genesis, I ended up doing most of my purchases at Electronics Boutique or Software Etc. at our mall.

That's not to say I didn't stop in. When the Power of the Force 2 Star Wars figures line emerged, I would hit Kay Bee at the mall & TRU after (it was just down the road). I camped out in front of the TRU for the midnight release of the Phantom Menace figures & stood in line for the first Force Friday ahead of The Force Awakens. It was my go to stop whenever I was on the hunt for new Star Wars figures during the mid to late 2000s.

However, my most precious memories of TRU are thanks to my daughter. The main toy line we used to hunt for were My Little Ponies. It was others along the way too (Littlest Pet Shop, Cars die cast, etc.) but I'll always remember driving from TRU to TRU trying to find whichever one she wanted. I'm so glad that I have those memories.

I asked her if she was upset about TRU closing (she's almost 17 now) & she's not in the least. That's okay. I'm plenty sad enough for both of us. 

Edited by StormSurge, 06 April 2018 - 11:33 AM.

• RickR and TrekMD like this

#48 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

StormSurge's story reminded me to think of my kids....I remember taking my son probably aged 4, to buy a Gameboy Color (we got the teal/blue color) and Elmo's ABC's.  The beginning of his gaming journey and love for Nintendo.  I'll have to ask  him if he remembers that day as vividly as I do.  And tons and tons of Lego sets. 

• StormSurge likes this

#49 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,313 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

I thought I'd better grab a picture of our Toys R Us before it's gone.  This one has been here close to 40 years!  I remember buying Atari carts and Commodore games here.  It's very sad to see it go.

Attached Thumbnails

• Toys R Us Closing.jpg

• TrekMD likes this

#50 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 615 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:48 PM

I should probably do the same thing for the one near my house.  It has, at least, been there the 26 years I've lived in Miami.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#51 Kid A

Kid A

Orange Member

• 219 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

So my mom has a friend who worked at a TRU distribution. With the closure of the stores, she lost her job as the distribution warehouses closed as well. She knew I used to go there quite often and she gave me this the other day.

IMG_20180520_171549.jpg IMG_20180520_171617.jpg

This shirt is pretty cool. Made me think of all the times I went there as a kid.
  • RickR, StormSurge and TrekMD like this

#52 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,064 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

That shirt is both cool and ironic..

• StormSurge likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users