Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari "VCS" (the Atari Box saga continues)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Atarileaf

Atarileaf

Orange Member

• 109 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:38 AM

At this point I'd say the Retron 77 is more likely to materialize. Cautiously optimistic but this thing screams coleco chameleon 

• Justin, MaximumRD and dgrubb like this

#22 dgrubb

dgrubb

Strawberry Member

• 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

I'm not entirely sure the comparisons to Coleco Chameleon are warranted. This may well end up being a flop or a complete waste of time, but unlike the Chameleon everything that's been announced (streaming, emulation and Minecraft-level games) is realistic for a small team to accomplish using off-the-shelf components (Linux on a low-end Intel device with an AMD GPU). There's no large scale custom FPGA work to do, for instance. I can at least see the path to actually building something.

Whether what they build will be desirable to Atari fans or a new customer base remains to be seen, but that's an entirely different issue than faked up prototypes obscured with electrical tape.

Edited by dgrubb, 21 March 2018 - 11:54 AM.

• TeddyGermany likes this

#23 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:11 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that this thing will never be made. Pie in the sky at best, scam at worst.

Edited by StormSurge, 21 March 2018 - 02:12 PM.

• MaximumRD likes this

#24 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

I'm not entirely sure the comparisons to Coleco Chameleon are warranted.

I am convinced, the signs are there, really nothing substantial has been shown to prove it isn't. Let's be honest here, if you have something to show you are going to show it and silence the doubters but Cnet even recently confirmed what was shown and on display was NOTHING BUT A MOCKUP and YET they are discussing a date for Pre-orders? When they have not shown a single thing actually running? Nope, it is definitely Coleco Chameleon-esque in my humble opinion. I guess we shall see but going by experience and history in these type of things I am going with the odds and calling it as I see it. So far though even with it's "appearance" this has gone from rendered images to a mockup and a name change and a lot of hype and promises. If they actually start taking money for Pre-orders BEFORE they actually show anything running on real hardware I recommend not backing.  ;)

Link to article -  https://www.cnet.com...ux-hands-on-pc/

pasted from article : (OH COME ON ! ) 

Good news: We finally understand what the mysterious Ataribox is all about. We've touched its deliciously retro ribbed plastic frame, and given its classic-meets-modern joystick a wiggle. The Atari VCS looks like it could be a real product, one you might be proud to own and display.
Bad news: There's not much proof it's real yet. Atari didn't bring a working VCS to the 2018 Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco, only mockups. Though the company has an interesting vision for the box, we weren't able to try a single game.
"We'd all like to be BAM, there it is, it's awesome. That day will come," says Atari engineer Joe Moak. "Today is not that day."   :spot:

maxresdefault.jpg

29467936_10155196751357595_2901223126815735808_o.png

sml_gallery_20719_1607_8455.jpg

• StormSurge likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#25 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 600 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

Coming late to the party. I think it is a great looking package all around. I do not think it is a scam at all. 2 things I see wrong here. 1. maybe they should have held out a little longer to start building the hype, maybe have some set plans rather than a concept. Or 2 give real updates. I am almost ashamed to admit that I am excited for this and will support it to the very end, but with each fumble I get more nervous about it. All that said it seems like they are using feedback as part as their process and that is 1 huge step in the right direction. And if worse tomes to worse, at least I get some good traffic on my channel every time I post a video on the subject!!!!! 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#26 dgrubb

dgrubb

Strawberry Member

• 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Cnet even recently confirmed what was shown and on display was NOTHING BUT A MOCKUP

The difference being it was Atari's own engineer who plainly said it's not ready yet, the antithesis of the Chameleon's faked prototypes and subterfuge.

Edited by dgrubb, 22 March 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#27 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

The difference being it was Atari's own engineer who plainly said it's not ready yet, the antithesis of the Chameleon's faked prototypes and subterfuge.

OK I will give you that but everything else about this just stinks, they have nothing running yet, literally other than a subjectively pretty box and a lot of talk there is not a single thing that warrants interest outside of blind loyalty to Atari. I LOVE ATARI but I just do not see how anyone is not sensing where this is heading. I agree with what someone else commented elsewhere "Atari isn't the old Atari and doesn't deserve your brand allegiance.  Make them earn it." 

Check this out - 

http://www.theregist...ari_lempty_box/

We sent a vulture to find the relaunched Atari box – and all he got was this lousy baseball cap
Things get surreal in suite 7088

By Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco 22 Mar 2018 at 07:02 82 

Well, its lights come on, so that's something. The AtariVCS: what a games console looks like
GDC The Ataribox has been renamed the AtariVCS, and it is finally here!

Where? Suite 7088 of the Marriott Marquis hotel in San Francisco, USA, directly opposite this year's Games Developers Conference (GDC).

There's only one problem: it doesn't work. And by "not work" we don't mean it crashed or is having teething troubles, we mean it literally does not work.

When Atari's chief operating officer Michael Arzt suggested we take a look at the ports in the back, we're surprised to find it actually weighs something: Atari knows how to mock up products.

Less impressive is the accompanying game controller which looks like an industry-standard controller – the sort of thing you'd see hooked up to an Xbox or Playstation – but which is in reality a solid lump of plastic in the shape of a controller. The buttons don't move, the joysticks are rigid. It has nothing inside.

"The traditional controller works," Arzt told us, pointing to the square-stick box with a red button that, many, many years ago, was the games controller. It's hard not to get a twinge of nostalgia.

The red button goes down and when it does, a circle of red lights on the controller light up. The central stick moves. It appears to have a real USB connector.

Atari controller
Nostalgia ... Literally the only reason to be in this room is this classic Atari controller

What happens if we plug this into our laptop, we ask Mike. I don't know, he says. Will it work? I don't know. If we plug it into a different games machine, will it work? No. So it's custom hardware and software? I don't know about that.

Mike doesn't know lots of things about the AtariVCS – standing for Atari video computer system – which is odd because he's the exec in charge of it. But for those things he doesn't know, he makes up for with all the things he does know. None of which he can tell us about.

Here we go
Launch date? Can't say. Interface? Can't tell you. Hardware manufacturer? Can't tell you. Games developer partners? We're talking to people. Target market? We can't say.

What makes this all the more amazing is that the Ataribox was supposed to launch in December before, literally on launch date, the company pulled it citing vague issues with components. It then went silent for three months.

Mike tries to tell us that big product launches are suspended all the time. We tell him they really aren't, and on the rare occasion that they are, the company goes out of its way to explain why and give a new launch timeline.

So far, Atari refuses to give even a preorder date. And it won't say what the issue was that caused the launch to be called off. Was it hardware? Software? They won't say but apparently it's been resolved. Yet there is still no working model.

Mike explains that the situation is the hours before the final countdown to a NASA rocket launch. Sometimes, even in the last few seconds, they have to call it off because of one small issue. We point out that a games console is literally nothing like a rocket launch.

Mike is getting fed up. So we focus on finding actual real details, and here's where we get to:

It will cost around $250 (equivalent to £180)
It will be "like a good laptop"
It will do 4K video
It will use an AMD chipset – although they don't know which yet
It will run on Linux
We have to be honest, we tell Mike as he explains that AMD has offered another chip that is faster and will cost around the same and so it might shift to that chip, it doesn't sound like Atari has the slightest idea what it's doing.

Literally across the road, companies are live demoing headsets that track your eyeballs and respond accordingly. One area has people physically running around with sci-fi superguns, blowing things up as they appear in their vision and avoiding their fellow players who appear in the game in the correct physical space thanks to wireless tracking accurate to 0.2mm.

Why are we in a hotel suite staring at a games console from our youth that doesn't even work? And the answer, and the only reason, is the name.

We thank Mike, wish him all the best, and grab an Atari-branded baseball cap on the way out the door. ®

• StormSurge likes this

#28 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:37 PM

The red button goes down and when it does, a circle of red lights on the controller light up. The central stick moves. It appears to have a real USB connector.

If there's a little gold nugget to find in here of something I like, this is it. I'd be happy if Atari released a cool, modern 2600 joystick that was compatible with the original systems. A circle of red lights lighting up around the controller? Sound neat to me!

We have to be honest, we tell Mike as he explains that AMD has offered another chip that is faster and will cost around the same and so it might shift to that chip, it doesn't sound like Atari has the slightest idea what it's doing.

Okay, hold up, you lost me.. So there's this guy named Mike whose developing a new retro video game system but he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about and he's at a booth at a video game expo showing off a non-working mockup?

I think you posted that last year.

• MaximumRD likes this

#29 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

Okay, hold up, you lost me.. So there's this guy named Mike whose developing a new retro video game system but he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about and he's at a booth at a video game expo showing off a non-working mockup?

I think you posted that last year.

Hah I know, what are the chances? Not sure if MIKE is another bad omen but it sure sounds like it!  ^_^

• Justin likes this

#30 Osgeld

Osgeld

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

I have said before if they just release the joystick I would be buying one, heck I bet there's enough people willing to buy one to fund early development models of the box or vcs or whatever they are calling it 

but instead they insist on showing pictures of an empty box with a long list of maybe's but a semi firm price and a second go at crud funding / pre-orders etc.

So any interest I might have had in the thing is instantly negated. ON top of all that they still have not completed the game band, but nevermind that.... its totally different atari than the atari failing to deliver on this project, they cant possibly screw up everything, right?

bleh

Edited by Osgeld, 23 March 2018 - 05:30 PM.

• MaximumRD and RickR like this

#31 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 688 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

Just saw this:  In theory, this new Atari console is going to be awesome.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#32 Osgeld

Osgeld

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:17 PM

well I do not know of a name more iconic than the one that started the casual home game market, but thank you for that link, it provides a point I have been trying to make on another forum about how iconic is the term VCS

apparently there's a group that is offended by the use of that name for the new system, my argument was no one really associated the original system with VCS, least as time marched on, even back in the day it was just ATARI or when the 5200 was around the bend they started calling it 2600 starting with the vader models onwards

frankly it was decades after the fact for me that people saying VCS meant 2600 ... but to be fair I was born in 79 so by the time I knew more than we had a coleco and my cousin had an atari both systems were obsolete and the NES was starting to dominate :)

on the flip side "we called it a video computer system cause that is what it is"  ... ok guys its not 1977 and computers have been using video displays for a half century now 

Edited by Osgeld, 23 March 2018 - 11:19 PM.

• TrekMD likes this

#33 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 197 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:32 AM

In theory all is fine!

But then there is this old bitch called reality!
  • MaximumRD likes this

#34 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Nuff said ! ;) 

hjZe6Mz.jpg

• TeddyGermany and TrekMD like this

#35 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 197 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Yes, just why?

Now i'm a believer! 😆

Edited by TeddyGermany, 31 March 2018 - 07:26 PM.

• MaximumRD likes this

#36 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 445 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

There's a rumor of some games that will be on the VCS

http://comicbook.com...games-revealed/

Edited by leolinden, 10 April 2018 - 03:02 PM.

• TrekMD likes this

young Atari lover

#37 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 688 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

Not a lot of titles there but they are good ones. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#38 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:23 AM

Still not interested. That is not, and never will be, an Atari. Sorry but the Atari I knew and loved died a long time ago when Jack called it quits. Not trying to be offensive or anything, and my thoughts are strictly my opinion, but to me there never will be another Atari. The best developers came from there, made their own chips, and everything. That is what made Atari special, unique. There were not many Atari consoles or computers that used off-the-shelf processors. The new VCS sounds cool and all but it is not for me. If given a choice I would go with an XBOX One or Switch. Again, just my opinion.
  • StormSurge likes this

#39 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 445 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:39 PM

https://www.engadget...-start-may-30th

This is actually quite interesting. It will come with the Atari Vault.

People are looking at this like its a retro console and a competitor to the NES Classic and stuff when it's clearly supposed to be its own thing and a modern console.

• dgrubb likes this

young Atari lover

#40 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

1.jpg

31562360_10156548096558109_6167979551415599104_o.jpg

• Clint Thompson and TeddyGermany like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users