Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari "VCS" (the Atari Box saga continues)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 dgrubb

dgrubb

Strawberry Member

• 58 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

There were not many Atari consoles or computers that used off-the-shelf processors.

?????

Name a single Atari console or computer that wasn't based around a 6502-derivative or 68000. The closest you'll get is the Jaguar.

EDIT: You could argue the Transputer workstation, which was an amazing experiment, but I'm not sure that counts as it was canceled immediately.

Edited by dgrubb, 01 May 2018 - 09:35 AM.

• Clint Thompson likes this

#42 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 197 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:18 AM

In that case, i prefer tacos!

I ask myself, why aren't they selling their Atari VCS in shops or by retailers? Even in Germany many newspapers, gaming magazines and internetpages are informing about their new console, the Flashback 8 Gold can be found in consumer electronics retailer shops etc.

The VCS will be delivered in spring 2019? Hm, i think, in that time the PS5 hype train is on its way. Could be really a bad decision to publish the baby in that time.

What they really need is a bunch of interesting games. The real VCS was a success for that reason. The name Atari VCS is only interesting for the old Atari fans, no contemporary gamer and no gaming kids are interested in a Linux computer with woodfront finish and a lack of fresh titles.

I was really excited about the first news about the Ataribox and i grant success to the new Atari, but i do not think, that this Atari VCS would be successful. Not in the way, they choose to market their product.

And sorry for that... but that Centipede snippet makes me laugh. The Tramiels always were bashed for their management decisions and marketing, but compared to that, they were the kings of the hill!

Edited by TeddyGermany, 02 May 2018 - 06:28 AM.

• MaximumRD likes this

#43 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,173 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

So I sense a shift in some opinions after the latest round of news broke:

In my previous update videos, opinions had been mixed pretty equally, sometimes leaning towards optimism.

However in my latest video, it seems that opinions are now 90/10 negative. 

I think that lack of exclusive games, the fact that the base price might not include a controller and one year pre-order really hurt.

• MaximumRD, atarilbc, StormSurge and 2 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#44 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 444 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

So I sense a shift in some opinions after the latest round of news broke:

In my previous update videos, opinions had been mixed pretty equally, sometimes leaning towards optimism.

However in my latest video, it seems that opinions are now 90/10 negative. 

I think that lack of exclusive games, the fact that the base price might not include a controller and one year pre-order really hurt.

It's a shame. Atari, I think, really has something here. An open, but enclosed, platform that's easy for indies and kids in their basement to develop for. They are shooting themselves in the foot with this messy marketing.

• atarilbc likes this

young Atari lover

#45 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

The new ATARI VCS has been NOTHING but talk, claims, marketing hype and nothing more. Over priced, no real titles announced besides the Atari VAULT ? Come on. STOP CALLING A CROWDFUNDING SITE A PRE-ORDER, there is nothing to pre-order yet, there is a BOX they are making a lot of claims about, that footage they showed playing CENTIPEDE? Not even sure that was legit as you could not even tell if the controller was actually in sync with it, could of very well been running on a retro pie for all we know and IF, and that is a big IF everything they have shown and claim turns out 100% legit SO WHAT? Who is this for? It is way over priced for what they claim it will do that you cannot do already elsewhere and probably for better and cheaper. After major delays now they claim Spring 2019? Just my opinion but anyone giving one dime towards this BEFORE verified gameplay on real hardware and some real announced titles is foolish and even then I think you'd be silly to pay that much for Wood grain style and an ATARI logo.  :rofl: There is nothing new or forward thinking about this product. 

• Atarileaf and StormSurge like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#46 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

If it were a true pre-order rather than crowdfunding, I would be less skeptical. With Indiegogo, "Atari" keep the money as long as they meet their funding goals. If they were going through GameStop and failed to deliver, I could get a refund. Also, the new Atari VCS is registered to Atari Gamebox, LLC. It's not clear that this is a subsidiary of Atari Interactive or just a licensee. If Atari is managing the launch, why isn't the VCS registered directly to Atari Interactive? LLCs can't issue stock to raise capital and limit the personal liability of owners against judgements. Assuming that this is an Atari subsidiary, or Frederic Chesnais and some other partners, it seems that they are insulating the main company and its holdings from a potential flop.

All that said, I like the look of the box and will reserve final judgement for the specs and additional software announcements.
  • MaximumRD likes this

#47 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

No, it do not hurts, it kills! It kills euphoria, that VCS box thing and finally Atari itself! Meanwhile Atari  seems to be an equivocal little rat shop! And that is imho the killing factor!

First i am angry, than sad about that! It would be so wonderful to see a new hardware with the Fuji logo on it, but that mess has such a bitter taste, especially for the old Atari fans, they want to attend to!

So i prefer to play on the old Atari systems, which i am able to touch with my own god-given hands!

#48 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 444 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

If it were a true pre-order rather than crowdfunding, I would be less skeptical. With Indiegogo, "Atari" keep the money as long as they meet their funding goals. If they were going through GameStop and failed to deliver, I could get a refund. Also, the new Atari VCS is registered to Atari Gamebox, LLC. It's not clear that this is a subsidiary of Atari Interactive or just a licensee. If Atari is managing the launch, why isn't the VCS registered directly to Atari Interactive? LLCs can't issue stock to raise capital and limit the personal liability of owners against judgements. Assuming that this is an Atari subsidiary, or Frederic Chesnais and some other partners, it seems that they are insulating the main company and its holdings from a potential flop.

All that said, I like the look of the box and will reserve final judgement for the specs and additional software announcements.

Atari Gamebox LLC is a subsidiary of Atari SA.

According to this, http://www.atari-inv...09-VDEF-DEF.pdf, they are 100% owned by Atari SA.

Again, I don't think the Atari VCS is a bad thing, I think it's just an issue with their marketing side of things. I think if they can sort out their launch, it can be really good.

Edited by leolinden, 03 May 2018 - 10:38 AM.

young Atari lover

#49 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

Yes, but the marketing side of things could be a question of to be or not to be! Do they believe in their own product? I have my doubts, because they seem to take fright at publishing it. They have announced the Box nearly one year ago and want to publish it in a year. Sorry, but they haven't the PS5 or Xbox Two to offer. They can't tell me now, what i'll get for my money, but i have to pay now for a clammy handshake. This is not reputable. And that kills my euphoria.

Edited by TeddyGermany, 03 May 2018 - 12:39 PM.

• Mcorleonep likes this

#50 Mcorleonep

Mcorleonep

Cherry Member

• 41 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

Pretty much what is stated above.  It's not worth buying a 'pre-order' which is really a crowdfunding campaign in disguise and not a very good one at that...

• MaximumRD likes this

#51 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,173 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

By the way, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt Atari will not honor those who pre-order it. It is possible that they will do a campaign that only works if they will meet their goal. It's also possibly, if the campaign flops, they will quickly close it and refund the money. 

My guess is they are making this on a high profit margin, so no matter what, it's coming out. 

However, I could be wrong and I still would not recommend putting money down until it comes out at this point and time,

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#52 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

onfb0vf.png

• Atarileaf likes this

#53 Atarileaf

Atarileaf

Orange Member

• 109 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

By the way, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt Atari will not honor those who pre-order it. It is possible that they will do a campaign that only works if they will meet their goal. It's also possibly, if the campaign flops, they will quickly close it and refund the money. 

My guess is they are making this on a high profit margin, so no matter what, it's coming out. 

However, I could be wrong and I still would not recommend putting money down until it comes out at this point and time,

I'm extremely curious (perhaps morbidly curious is a better term) about it the way people are about big celebrity breakups or political scandals. I have no interest in preordering as I'm not one to support potential vaporware but if and when this thing does hit the market I'm very curious of the reviews of it and what it will actually do, especially to justify its insane price point.

The Retron 77 however is one I will probably support despite some reservations I also have for it. At least Hyperkin does make actual products people like and buy, as flawed as they may be. Between it and what I'm hoping will be SD card support for the next Flashback I can't see a need for the AtariVCSbox but I will follow the train wreck as it stumbles down the track.

• MaximumRD likes this

#54 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

lol, had to share  :rofl:

20180517-1.jpg

• atarilbc, Atarileaf, TeddyGermany and 1 other like this

#55 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

Well this week has been full of updates.

First, we have a preview video of Tempest 4000. The same video shown for the PS4/PC/XB1 version of the game. It's excellent looking, but I am sure this isn't a VCS. The tag line on their FB post suggests that it could be: "Atari VCS plays new games! Check out Tempest 4000 - an Atari classic reinvented for today." As it is, this would only be a good thing for Atari if it were an exclusive.

https://www.facebook...52717445166177/

Next up is a first look at "very early" test animations of what a user "could" see at boot up. It looks clean and all but it not that impressive. There is also no indication that this is running on hardware.

https://www.facebook...53958355042086/

Two weeks out from the campaign launch and all we know for sure is that it will play 2600 games and Tempest 4000. I already have those boxes checked. Where are the exclusives? Who are the developers? Will it handle other legacy Atari platforms? Color me a skeptic.

Edited by atarilbc, 18 May 2018 - 01:02 AM.

• MaximumRD, StormSurge and TeddyGermany like this

#56 Atarileaf

Atarileaf

Orange Member

• 109 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

The comments on facebook suggest there are people excited for this thing. Or they're just being sarcastic I can't tell. The video of the boot up screen just looks like a variation of a flashback screen. If anything you'd think they'd want to distance themselves from the look and feel of a flashback otherwise they just end up promoting the competition - "Hey look our machine looks and plays just like a flashback, only at several times the cost!" 

I'll just get Tempest 4000 on the PS4.

• MaximumRD likes this

#57 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

As we approach the opening of the "PRE-ORDERS" just 5 days away (I STILL HAVE A BIG ISSUE CALLING A FUNDING CAMPAIGN PRE-ORDERS) 

Still no

specs.

game list.

developers list

THIS IS INSANE though just proving what I assumed all along. 

gallery_60562_2139_41563.jpg

*image borrowed from JBerel post on Atariage. 

• Atarileaf likes this

#58 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

lol

20180529-1.jpg

• Atarileaf and TrekMD like this

#59 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

They broke IndieGoGo. Folks over at AA who were able to get in said they already made their funding goal. Details are still scant according to Forbes. https://www.forbes.c...s/#7d7947dc4e7e

image.jpeg

#60 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

And it's up. 5x their meager $100k funding goal in 36 minutes. $199 for the Onyx, $229 for the Onyx with one Joystick, $299 for Classic with one Joystick, Joysticks are $29, Modern controllers are $49.

image.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users