Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The C64 Mini - Reviewed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,412 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

A very comprehensive review from The 8-Bit Guy:

What do you guys think?

• Justin and dgrubb like this

#2 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 444 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

I don't understand what the issue is with reproducing an old computer or console. Like, these mini plug and plays are cool, but I'd buy a new Commodore 64 or something like that in a heartbeat. An new retro style computer with a homebrew community would be cool. Selling games out of the basement and working to make games and all of that. 

• RickR and dgrubb like this

young Atari lover

#3 dgrubb

dgrubb

Strawberry Member

• 58 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

I don't understand what the issue is with reproducing an old computer or console. Like, these mini plug and plays are cool, but I'd buy a new Commodore 64 or something like that in a heartbeat. An new retro style computer with a homebrew community would be cool. Selling games out of the basement and working to make games and all of that. 

The Spectrum community have produced exactly that:

https://www.specnext.com/about/

• RickR likes this

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,412 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:35 AM

The fact that they keyboard is non-functional tells me all I need to know about this thing. 

Still, the C64 is a really spendy machine to collect for.  Finding a working C64 is pricey.  Getting an SD card device is spendy.  Adding in a modern power adapter is spendy. 

I have a pretty nice C64 collection, but I'd argue that it's almost better to run an PC emulator for C64 instead of buying the C64 mini. 

• Arenafoot likes this

#5 GRay Defender

GRay Defender

Strawberry Member

• 70 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

That was an impressive review, I agree.  I too was disapointed regarding the fake keyboard.  The lag is also a concern for me.  I hope they improved the whole SD ROM loading process on the final version.  I hope to do my own less comprehensive review soon.

• RickR and Arenafoot like this

#6 GRay Defender

GRay Defender

Strawberry Member

• 70 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

Here it is: 

• RickR likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users