Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Who all has a 2600 Jr. ?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:24 AM

The 2600, 5200, and 7800 had class, man. Even Junior looks classy. Lynx and Jaguar were good consoles but seemed to be going for a different and original look. I guess you could call them sexy. Jaguar is a sexy looking console, for lack of better wording.
  • TrekMD likes this

#22 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,179 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:24 PM

Late to the convo, but I really dig the 2600 junior, although mine has a funny quirk, where it fuzzy on channel 4, but pretty clear when I switch and use channel 3  :o

Great, compact design.

And it gave us one of the greatest commercials in all retro gaming:

• Justin, MaximumRD, RickR and 2 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#23 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,481 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

That Space Invaders is upside down, kid!

• Justin, MaximumRD and nosweargamer like this

#24 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,179 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

That Space Invaders is upside down, kid!

Oh wow! It's the rare, upside down label variant!!!  :o  :rofl:

• Justin and MaximumRD like this

#25 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,011 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

I have a Jr, a gift from RickR, I believe. I really love its compact shape, really a sleek design.
It's more attractive than the original, IMHO.
  • Justin, MaximumRD and RickR like this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#26 Atarileaf

Atarileaf

Orange Member

• 109 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

I acquired one a month or so ago from a work mate and I really like it. I find the RF to be funny in these units. It's either terrible or perfect. Luckily my latest one falls into the latter category.

• Justin, MaximumRD and RickR like this

#27 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 610 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:52 PM

I am WICKED late to this one. (catching up on posts missed in my absence) I have a Jr, in fact 2. I have a normal North American unit and a weird clone one with the 32 in 1 cart built in. From the best I could find out it is from Australia but I honestly do not know. The pin that controls LEFT movement on port 1 is broken off so I can't use the clone anymore but it's cool.

Did you ever get to painting one?????  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180915_2342201.jpg
  • 20180915_2342291.jpg

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#28 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:47 AM

Now that I think back, the only games I remember seeing on the shelf were either red boxes or Froggo games. Wonder where that Space Invaders came from?
  • Justin likes this

#29 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,481 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

I think I could fix that broken left port (remove it and replace).  But the de-soldering would be a challenge. 

• Justin and Atari Creep like this

#30 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:04 PM

I have an A2600 Jr. "Short Rainbow" console that I bought at SPACE (Saint Paul Atari Computer Enthusiasts) in Saint Paul about twenty years ago. The case on the console got damaged from a fall off of a shelf, but it is only moderate cosmetic damage, can be repaired (and I tried with epoxy), and still works well. I need to make more cosmetic repairs on it, but now and then I still play it. Anybody know where I can get some black plastic putty filler? Like Bondo or epoxy, maybe. That would be all I needed to repair this thing. Here is a picture of the console.

Thanks.  :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• A2600JRSR_Front.jpg

#31 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:07 PM

Here are some better photos of the A2600 Jr. "Short Rainbow" that I own. You can see the damage and my attempt at mitigating it. It still needs work. But, I am confident it can be repaired cosmetically. Any suggestions? Thanks. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Damaged Bottom.JPG
  • Damaged Side.JPG
  • Front.JPG
  • Serial Number.JPG

• Justin and Atari Creep like this

#32 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,481 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:10 PM

Black duct tape.  I'm not kidding.  It will make it look decent and not damage it any further.  If you're careful and cut the tape in just the right shapes, it can be very discreet. 

• Justin, Atari Creep and BlackCatz40 like this

#33 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:17 PM

Huh, never thought of that. It might work. Thanks. :)

• Justin likes this

#34 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 610 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

I think I could fix that broken left port (remove it and replace).  But the de-soldering would be a challenge. 

I am sure I could too. Would just need solder braid or a sucker. Just never got to it. 

• Justin likes this

#35 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

Here are some better photos of the A2600 Jr. "Short Rainbow" that I own. You can see the damage and my attempt at mitigating it. It still needs work. But, I am confident it can be repaired cosmetically. Any suggestions? Thanks. 

I always loved the "Short Rainbow" version the best. That was the design intended for 1984. It's a shame that the plastic they used was so brittle, I haven't come across a 2600 Jr. in a long time that didn't feel fragile and at risk of cracking if grabbed too firmly.

• MaximumRD, Atari Creep and BlackCatz40 like this

#36 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 610 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

I always loved the "Short Rainbow" version the best. That was the design intended for 1984. It's a shame that the plastic they used was so brittle, I haven't come across a 2600 Jr. in a long time that didn't feel fragile and at risk of cracking if grabbed too firmly.

I found mine under a pile of junk. That must have preserved it because it is solid. 

• Justin, MaximumRD and BlackCatz40 like this

#37 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,179 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:06 PM

Now that I think back, the only games I remember seeing on the shelf were either red boxes or Froggo games. Wonder where that Space Invaders came from?

Back in the late 80s, it was still easy to find silver boxed and original style boxed games. For instance, I recall getting Missile Command at Toys R Us and Star Raiders at Meijers around 88 or 89. 

• Justin, MaximumRD and Atari Creep like this

#38 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:01 AM

Back in the late 80s, it was still easy to find silver boxed and original style boxed games. For instance, I recall getting Missile Command at Toys R Us and Star Raiders at Meijers around 88 or 89. 

I bought brand new Missile Command and Air-Sea Battle at Kay-Bee toys in January, 1994. Still brand new on the shelf. I also bought brand new E.T. and Asteroids at Kay-Bee on Saturday, September 18, 1993. 25 years ago today incidentally. The moment I knowingly stepped into classic gaming, a hobby I thought I was alone in.

• Atari Creep and kamakazi20012 like this

#39 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

I bought brand new Missile Command and Air-Sea Battle at Kay-Bee toys in January, 1994. Still brand new on the shelf. I also bought brand new E.T. and Asteroids at Kay-Bee on Saturday, September 18, 1993. 25 years ago today incidentally. The moment I knowingly stepped into classic gaming, a hobby I thought I was alone in.

You were never alone. I still had a 5200 and about 3 various wood grain 2600s in 1994. Mom kept asking me why I kept buying them when I seen them. My only answer was because it was an Atari. The Junior model I picked up in 1990, maybe 1991. It was the same large rainbow I have now. But the Alco store was the only place in town carrying anything 2600. My area was also void of TRU and any well known large toy stores. Our Wal-Mart still closed at nights and that was the only large store chain that carried anything of video game importance...except Atari stuff. They simply refused to sell those.

The Junior model I have now is like Creep's...built like a tank! I just wish I could find those exact slider switches so I can replace them. It is the only reason why I don't use Junior much. That's also why I'm glad to have the woodgrain model so I don't damage Junior any more until I can replace those. Whose idea was it to make plastic slider switches in the first place? And I refer to the switches mounted on the board, not the covers everyone sees.
  • Justin likes this

#40 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:45 AM

Late to the convo, but I really dig the 2600 junior, although mine has a funny quirk, where it fuzzy on channel 4, but pretty clear when I switch and use channel 3  :o
Great, compact design.
And it gave us one of the greatest commercials in all retro gaming:
https://www.youtube....h?v=m752qiGqSm4

That sounds like a possible bad cap. There is also an adjustable frequency component usually in red plastic with a ferrite screw-like part inside. I have found issues you mention where that ferrite part was cracked...making impossible to adjust the console for any channel or for one but not the other. Try channel 2. I think the original specs were for channels 2 and 3 to be used instead of channel 4.
  • Justin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users