"Lost in Space" reboot on Netflix

RickR

I just started to watch it.  Only the first episode so far.  I'm really starting to hate this flashback-style storytelling that has become the thing nowadays.  Why can't they just tell a linear story?  I'm not going to judge the show just yet.  I need to watch more. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Just watched the first episode last night and loved it! Looking forward to watching the rest now...

By the way, for any fans of Mass Effect on the forums here... didn't the robot seem an awful lot like a Geth? My wife and I both agreed that it was *cough* inspired *cough* by Mass Effect.

Edited by Starbuck66

I quite enjoyed it. It was refreshing to see a family friendly show like this that is fun and adventurous. I never saw the old show but I do remember the movie from 20 years ago with Gary Oldman, Mimi Rogers, Joey from Friends and the Boogie Nights girl. This was much better than that. Got a little slow in parts but I found myself wanting to see what happened in the next episode and now I'm hooked to see what happens in season 2. 

I watched episode 2.  Guys, you sure about this?  It's so.......slow.  Seems like the plot is very predictable.  The kid looks and acts like Jake Lloyd.  The "How'd this get here?" baseball scene about made me turn it off.  The only part I've liked so far is the way-too-brief cameo by Billy Mumy.  Please, no more flashbacks to the "not Penny" daughter stuck in ice.  I get it.  Traumatized. 

I'll give it a few more episodes. 

I'm sorry to be so negative.  I do love the effects and locations.  The robot is spectacularly done. 

Episode 3 = more of the same.  More Judy ice flashbacks?  Yep.  But don't worry, she finally solved her issue by unbolting some brackets.  Also of note -- the robot that just saved and completely dried out their sunken ship is now barely capable of wiping parts with a rag.  Standing guard in front of a closet seems like the logical thing to do instead of killing the actual threat. 

What's weird is how the show seems more aimed towards kids and families....yet the Dr. Smith character is way too intense for that audience.  Murder! 

I'm giving this one more episode.  So far, it's been way too slow moving for me. 

Fact that is only of interest to me:  Parker Posey shares my exact birthday -- year and all. 

Edited by RickR

I finsihed watching it.  The pace is slow but things to get more interesting and the story progresses and the final moments leave you wondering what is coming next.  Dr. Smith is evil.  No question.  Despite the slow pace, I did like it. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Made it finally to the end. 

I grade the show a C.  It's got great production values and effects.  You can tell they spent a lot of money on it.  But the writing is not good.  It just took so long to go anywhere, and even then it was all predictable and telegraphed.

<<SPOILER ALERTS!  Stop reading if you are still watching or plan to watch >>

• I like the character of Don....but "a flake in the eye" made him go blind???  In BOTH eyes?????
  • They had gravity on the ship why? 
  • The robot turned back into a friend why?
  • Maureen was the only one in the old-school NASA control room why?
  • No one else went looking for Don and Dad why?  They literally almost all died in the bat cave when Dad send a reply. 
  • The Resolute couldn't receive radio why?  Even with Jupiter ships back on board (that could receive radio)?
  • That kid that died....they couldn't just dig him out instead of lifting the tanker?  They literally had shovels that they JUST used to dig out the buried Jupiter. 
  • Why do they keep calling her Dr. Smith after establishing her real name?
  • On a positive note...the actors all did their best with what they had to work with.  I take back the Jake Lloyd comment.  :)  The family drama parts were handled well.  The Penny/teen-boy storyline was cute and well-done.  Dr. Smith is a psycho...well done on that character.  The end twist is very good.  I sure wish they had more Bill Mumy. 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I just didn't care for it. 

Hopefully no one is offended by my opinion.  Please read the bullet points with a touch of humor that I intended.  I've probably been watching sci-fi for too long to be so nitpicky. 

Edited by RickR