2600 Repair Kit

Atari 5200 Guy

I would just upgrade it with tactile micro switches before replacing dome contacts!!!! Might pick a few of these up myself. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I tried doing the micro switch and I didn't do it right so I ended up with sloppy joystick movement.  I cut too much off the yoke that contacts the switches.  That's why I posted this just in case someone tried to do the same thing and made the same mistake they could get one of these instead of butchering another joystick.  If you don't want to go that route Best Electronics does carry replacement internals with gold contact upgrades.  I have a set for my 7800 joystick and it really made a difference.  The same technology was used for the CX-40 style joysticks.

As for the fire button.  I have had one joystick where the fire button had been used so much that it wore the small peg under the button down.  I am guessing that's why they included a fire button.  Still nice to see that someone is making those.

Console5.com also has replacement dome switches are supposed to be superior to the originals. I know they offer not only the standard 3 leg version, but also a 4 leg version that can be used and I believe that one is better if only because the extra leg provides an extra support stress location for the button when it is depressed and helps to even that out more. I've also used them to great success in replacing the original dome contact switch on the Intellivision reset. Only since the originals were press fit into slots along the side of the reset contact point, i will use the 4 leg versions of the dome contacts and actually tack-solder the leg ends onto the ground points around the reset area. 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections