The Atari 2600 compatible oddity "COLECO GEMINI"

MaximumRD

Wow back in 2011 I did this unboxing for the Coleco Gemini that I received from The GoldenAxe on atariage.

I was about 30 pounds heavier as well lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIPwcdSTPuo

Here is a nice lot of Gemini controllers I got previously in 2011, I HAVE YET to actually do anything with them lol. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U1mIORSyyw

Anyone else got the Coleco Gemini? There was an even rarer version distributed through Columbia House. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Dec 2014 - Here you can see the rough shape of my Gemini, in fact I show a bent pin "repair" 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I was always so focused on my fascination with Atari I overlooked this little gem. I wondered how people would end up with a Gemini. Say someone went to Toys "R" Us or Sears to buy an Atari 2600 and saw this little guy sitting there next to it on the shelf. Was it the controllers? Size? Was it sold at a lower price than traditional 2600 systems? Very interesting little piece of gaming history. I wonder if the Gemini had been planned from the start or if somebody there realized they could sell the ColecoVision Expansion Module #1 as a standalone unit and make more  :nintendo_mario_coin:  :nintendo_mario_coin:  :nintendo_mario_coin:  :nintendo_mario_coin:

I was always so focused on my fascination with Atari I overlooked this little gem. I wondered how people would end up with a Gemini. Say someone went to Toys "R" Us or Sears to buy an Atari 2600 and saw this little guy sitting there next to it on the shelf. Was it the controllers? Size? Was it sold at a lower price than traditional 2600 systems? Very interesting little piece of gaming history. I wonder if the Gemini had been planned from the start or if somebody there realized they could sell the ColecoVision Expansion Module #1 as a standalone unit and make more  :nintendo_mario_coin:  :nintendo_mario_coin:  :nintendo_mario_coin:  :nintendo_mario_coin:

My guess is that the pack-in game of "Donkey Kong" probably helped sell this.  Or at least pushed Atari to pack-in Pac-Man instead of Combat. 

These are so expensive nowadays!  Curious question, do you know if the Gemini is compatible with the Supercharger?  I think it would be easier to play games that use all the buttons using the Gemini since all the buttons are on the front of the console. 

I cannot say 100% but I do not know why it would not be, unlike modern clones using emulators the Coleco Gemini seems to be a hardware level copy of 2600 hardware. 

I found only THIS info searching, it does not mention the Gemini specifically (it mentions it does not fit the Coleocovision 2600 adapter) but considering the Gemini slot seems wide enough to accommodate the Supercharger I am guessing it would be fine. 

"Compatibility

The Supercharger is compatible with Atari 2600, Atari 2600 Jr., and the Sears Video Arcade consoles. Due to the shape of the Supercharger, it would not normally fit into the ColecoVision's Expansion Module #1, which is an adapter that allows the ColecoVision to play Atari 2600 games. However, if the cover of the expansion module is removed or an extender is used, the Supercharger will work. Extenders were sent to customers who called Starpath about such issues.

The Supercharger did not work on many Atari 7800 systems (which is typically backward compatible with the Atari 2600), although it does with some early models of the system. After Atari installed a circuit to fix a compatibility issue with the 2600 version of Dark Chambers, it subsequently caused incompatibility with the Supercharger and some other games that use the FE bank switching method."

- M. Bison

I do know you could get one (unbranded I think) via one of the "10 cassette for a penny" style clubs when they were offering games. Just cant remember what club it was.

Never had one but I did have one of the Gems controllers sometime ago. Cool little unit. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I do know you could get one (unbranded I think) via one of the "10 cassette for a penny" style clubs when they were offering games. Just cant remember what club it was.

Never had one but I did have one of the Gems controllers sometime ago. Cool little unit. 

Columbia House!

- M. Bison

Wow I remember that video Rob. GoldenAxe, that guy had some health problems didn't he? I don't think he's been on Atariage in years. He was one of the biggest sellers on the site IIRC.

Yes, he is still having them, from what I last heard from his family.  I bought stuff from him several times. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Wow I remember that video Rob. GoldenAxe, that guy had some health problems didn't he? I don't think he's been on Atariage in years. He was one of the biggest sellers on the site IIRC.

He actually popped in SEPT 8TH in that recent Atariage thread where the guy was sharing the Fundraiser for a couples baby to convey well wishes. Other than that yeah his participation has been very sparse over the last few years. I THINK there was also some issues with him not getting out some of the deals he made, again due to health issues but if I am recalling correctly there was some back and forth, some hard feelings etc but these are my recollections, he may of made good on all of them eventually but I think his lack of appearances on AA has to do with some of that as well. 

@Rick R. I have one of those NES modded pads for the 7800 as well form GoldenAxe, it is cool. 

- M. Bison

Sorry for the multiple Cigari 2600 posts but the subjects keeps leading there.

I think my Cigari 2600 was a colab project between GoldenAxe and my buddy Canadian Zangief. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Sorry for the multiple Cigari 2600 posts but the subjects keeps leading there.

I think my Cigari 2600 was a colab project between GoldenAxe and my buddy Canadian Zangief. 

HAHAHA well it is a small world in the retro gaming hobby! 

- M. Bison

I once had a ColecoVision with about twenty games. I also had the VCS expansion module with it. It was basically a scaled-down A2600 that ran on the CV's power supply, which of course fit into the expansion port of the CV. I loved that thing, and it did increase its expandability. I think that Atari sued Coleco about the module, but I do not remember all of the details. Anyway, MaxRD, you state that you modded a VCS adapter for the A5200 to work with its own power supply to be a standalone unit. It must not be too hard to do, since I believe the VCS adapter is a small 2600 to begin with, but how did that get accomplished? Did you do it yourself? I am curious.

I once had a ColecoVision with about twenty games. I also had the VCS expansion module with it. It was basically a scaled-down A2600 that ran on the CV's power supply, which of course fit into the expansion port of the CV. I loved that thing, and it did increase its expandability. I think that Atari sued Coleco about the module, but I do not remember all of the details. Anyway, MaxRD, you state that you modded a VCS adapter for the A5200 to work with its own power supply to be a standalone unit. It must not be too hard to do, since I believe the VCS adapter is a small 2600 to begin with, but how did that get accomplished? Did you do it yourself? I am curious.

Sorry, it was done by djpubba of Atariage a few years back and I purchased it. It used something called the longhorn engineer video mod and 7 years ago I DID take it apart and do a bad video on it with the garbage camera I had at the time with poor focus :P Here is my original description and video, I bought it because I thought it was cool but I do not recall now which member I bought it from. 

MaximumRD

Published on Apr 12, 2011

Literally I take you inside my investment lol! I opened it up for those interested in getting a closer look at the guts of the unit and the modification done. I WONT BE OPENING IT AGAIN SO DON'T ASK lol! Then I hopefully follow this up with demonstrating the unit playing 2600 games as a stand alone console. It may be some time until I dig out my 5200 but when I do get around to it I will show you how it can still function on the 5200 as an adaptor even if there is not much point to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q79DwRO4w7w

Also for what it is worth my previous video was my original unboxing of the item where I talked about it and showed the ports etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euPsKcOPte8

- M. Bison

You were mentioning the Supercharger cartridge for the A2600. I have a Supercharger myself. I also have the entire Supercharger collection on CD. I use a portable CD player to play my games on it. Pretty cool stuff, but I also have Phaser Patrol on cassette for it. Fun.

Edited by DegasElite

I have one bought from a retro gaming expo.  Been trying to collect only unlicensed systems and games.  Er, I heard enough bad things about breaking the joysticks that I haven't messed with it.  Probably wont once I get my 7800 switched out for an Inty with 2600 adapter.

Please check out my Atari 2600 party favors at https://theloon.itch.io/  

Downloadable games include Upp Plus Plus, Stranglehand, Nitebear on Sleepystreet and more!