Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Atari 2600 compatible oddity "COLECO GEMINI"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,101 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

I once had a ColecoVision with about twenty games. I also had the VCS expansion module with it. It was basically a scaled-down A2600 that ran on the CV's power supply, which of course fit into the expansion port of the CV. I loved that thing, and it did increase its expandability. I think that Atari sued Coleco about the module, but I do not remember all of the details. Anyway, MaxRD, you state that you modded a VCS adapter for the A5200 to work with its own power supply to be a standalone unit. It must not be too hard to do, since I believe the VCS adapter is a small 2600 to begin with, but how did that get accomplished? Did you do it yourself? I am curious.

Sorry, it was done by djpubba of Atariage a few years back and I purchased it. It used something called the longhorn engineer video mod and 7 years ago I DID take it apart and do a bad video on it with the garbage camera I had at the time with poor focus :P Here is my original description and video, I bought it because I thought it was cool but I do not recall now which member I bought it from. 

MaximumRD
Published on Apr 12, 2011
Literally I take you inside my investment lol! I opened it up for those interested in getting a closer look at the guts of the unit and the modification done. I WONT BE OPENING IT AGAIN SO DON'T ASK lol! Then I hopefully follow this up with demonstrating the unit playing 2600 games as a stand alone console. It may be some time until I dig out my 5200 but when I do get around to it I will show you how it can still function on the 5200 as an adaptor even if there is not much point to it.

Also for what it is worth my previous video was my original unboxing of the item where I talked about it and showed the ports etc. 

• Justin, Atari Creep and BlackCatz40 like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#22 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 183 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:13 PM

No worries, MaxRD. It looks like, from the frame on the video, it would take some time to put it back together if you did open it again. I will look at your videos here. Thanks.

• MaximumRD likes this

#23 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 183 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

You were mentioning the Supercharger cartridge for the A2600. I have a Supercharger myself. I also have the entire Supercharger collection on CD. I use a portable CD player to play my games on it. Pretty cool stuff, but I also have Phaser Patrol on cassette for it. Fun.

Edited by BlackCatz40, 04 October 2018 - 05:35 PM.

• Justin and MaximumRD like this

#24 slobu

slobu

Cherry Member

• 22 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

I have one bought from a retro gaming expo.  Been trying to collect only unlicensed systems and games.  Er, I heard enough bad things about breaking the joysticks that I haven't messed with it.  Probably wont once I get my 7800 switched out for an Inty with 2600 adapter.

• Justin, MaximumRD and BlackCatz40 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users