PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming....

MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

OK. I like this. I want one! And two controllers?!? Nice bonus. Any info on full game list and price?

Never mind...answered my own question. Well, one of them.

$99.99 and only the games down in the video are the only ones currently announced. Downside, power brick sold separately. Still cool. Any speculations on the remaining 15 games?

I will start. Spyro, Crash, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo...all first installment titles. If none of those PS greatest hits are not included I will be shocked. Maybe one or two unreleased games? Hard to say. PlayStation was the NES of the mid 90's so lots to choose from.

Edited by kamakazi20012

I would assume at least one crash game would be on it. Crash Racing would be fantastic and a no-brainer. Possible to get some heavy hitters like Castlevania: SOTN, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk? Parappa the Rapper would be a good all around family title that kids even today would get a kick out of.

Personally I'd love to see the first Colony Wars and Road Rash Jailbreak but I kind of doubt it, Colony Wars is a niche title and first person space combat games aren't that popular with the plug and play crowd but I could be wrong and would EA even licence their games for this? I kinda doubt it.

I wish it came with the analog controllers but it is what it is and I guess is an indication that the games will most likely be early, non-analog style games. 

So at $100 US I'm assuming $130 - $140 Canadian which will most likely put it outside my personal price/interest Venn diagram but ultimately that will come down to the actual game list. Wish it had more than 20.

I am 50/50 excited. I LOVE the idea of it but that price point is a little out of my reach for such a thing.

I am ok not getting a power supply, I have a TON of usb adapters. Lot of folks hate that the controllers will not have the thumb sticks. Personally, I am 100% ok with that.

Wish list for this thing: 

Crash

Spyro

CV SOTN

Tomb Rader

BLASTO!!!!!!!

Silent Hill (the original)

Resident Evil 2

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Without the thumbsticks, there goes all the games that you can play that use the right stick for camera control. And those are some of the best games right there

My favorite PS1 game is Metal Gear Solid. That game was so much better with the analog sticks.

To me, the big appeal of these Mini consoles are to be able to play all these games in HD. All the PlayStation 1 games that I care about I already own and I can play all these HD by sticking them into my PS3 and playing them that way WITH analog sticks.

And the five of the 20 games that were announced I have zero interest in. So far this is a hard pass For me

Why do these things have to be "mini" why can't they be 1:1 scale? And why the lack of Dual Shock? That's very limiting.

In a similar sense, if going 1:1, why not make an original fully functional that also plays PS games consumers may own? I honestly would like to see the older consoles get another commercial run, built with original specs and components. Same with CRT TVs as well. I know, wishful thinking.

I didn't think about the lack of dual-shock.

Perhaps they are saving the dual shocks for the PS2 mini classic.

But whats the deal with not including power supplies? I remember when Nintendo started this with the new 3DS. I never thought I'd see the day  with multiple systems that don't include everything needed to play. And $100 is little high to me for this kinda of thing.

I like the next gen of plug n plays going on, but I don't see me getting this anytime soon.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

A thought crossed my mind. It might be possible Sony will have Dual-Shock controllers available separately at a later date ???

What would have made this PS Classic cooler? Physical media. Imagine, if you will, the top opening and accepting a disc-shaped EPROM media that never spins but contains the disc ROM/ISO image. Would have been cool to see and Sony would have been able to release PS games on an individual basis after the initial 20 pre-loaded games. Miniature versions of original PS games...case, instructions, the whole nine yards.

While I would like to have one of these I am also most likely going to pass. I have too many consoles needing accessories ... and I'd rather concentrate on those first followed by games for each console. My SMS needs everything, SNES still needs controllers, power supply, and power port replaced, and my N64 controller needs an analog stick replacement. I already have an original and smaller PSOne consoles...I really don't need a classic version...I just need to get more games for it. My PS collection pales compared to other consoles I own.

But whats the deal with not including power supplies?

it comes with the USB power cable but not that little brick that you plug into it

A thought crossed my mind. It might be possible Sony will have Dual-Shock controllers available separately at a later date ???

I saw a pic of the front of the console. It looks like it uses USB ports for the controller ports. I'm wondering now if I could use USB co.ntrollers with analog sticks on them and if it will work

The more I hear others talk about it the more I am persuaded not to get one.  The other 15 games would have to be the deal maker or breaker for me...then again I already have a PSOne original and slim.  And PSOne games are fairly easy to find, most at a cheap price point.  Not sure on this one.  It would have been nice if they could have found a way to use original controllers so that consumers who already have controllers would have the option to use a Dual Shock if they wanted to.  I know I've got a dresser drawer full of PSOne and a few PS2 controllers.  That's the main turn off point for me at the moment...although R4 is reason enough for me to get one.

From https://screenrant.com/playstation-classic-game-list/

PS1 game list announced.

Battle Arena Toshinden

Cool Boarders 2

Destruction Derby

Final Fantasy VII

Grand Theft Auto

Intelligent Qube

Jumping Flash!

METAL GEAR SOLID

Mr. Driller

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Rayman

Resident Evil Director's Cut

Revelations: Persona

R4 RIDGE RACER TYPE 4

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Syphon Filter

Tekken 3

TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX

Twisted Metal

Wild Arms

This is a hard pass for me. I wonder how many preorders are going to be cancelled.

A list of ANY 20 titles was never going to please everyone, there are some really good games for sure and it seems they did try for some variety, of course everyone had their own idea of the perfect list. FOR ME as I have heard from others, the attractiveness will come down to hack-ability and being adding to add ones own titles. Even for those not into such things I suspect it will still be a buy for many. Here is the official list video and an image to consider. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ACUOvfDEw

post-15-0-74999200-1540840640_thumb.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I'm a little surprised they didn't include any Crash or Spyro games, but my guess is that they cost too much. 
Since this includes some M rated games, it will also be interesting to see if targeting adults over kids and families helps or hurts.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I'm a little surprised they didn't include any Crash or Spyro games, but my guess is that they cost too much.

Since this includes some M rated games, it will also be interesting to see if targeting adults over kids and families helps or hurts.

I have a feeling no crash or Spyro games were included being that there are the remastered editions that are out or coming out.

The Japanese PlayStation Classic Has A Much Better Line-Up Of Games And Includes 'Armored Core'

For your reference, here is the full line-up of games for the Japanese PlayStation Classic.

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Biohazard Director’s Cut
  • Final Fantasy VII International
  • G-Darius
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be Your True Mind
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Parasite Eve
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • SaGa Frontier
  • Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
  • Tekken 3
  • Toshinden
  • Wild Arms
  • XI [sái]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/10/29/the-japanese-playstation-classic-has-a-much-better-line-up-of-games-and-includes-armored-core/#4d06e6831461

- M. Bison