Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

New Syzygy 3200 Console!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 689 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:28 PM

The folks from Syzygy have announced they will be releasing a new console that will be fully 2600 and 7800 compatible called the Syzygy 3200.  I thought I'd share this here after seeing some details posted over at Atari Age.

bxUBMLO.jpg

About the Console:

Engineered to bring back the excitement, fun and thrills of owning a system that everyone loved and wanted.   With Atari* 2600/7800 compatibility to allow the system to be able to play real 2600 & 7800 game cartridges.

Yes, this is a REAL game system that uses REAL cartridges.   Something to own, to hold in your hand and to know its always yours...

Designed into an all new sleek case design that was a prototype for an unreleased console called the 3200.   Now everyone gets to own this elusive prototype design, including all new combo controllers.

Both joystick AND paddle controller built into one, with a sleek low profile design, this brings a whole new dimension to game players.

Its like getting that system you had always wished for back in the 80's and 90's and finally it has arrived.  Thanks to so many contributors in the hobbyist community, there is now a brand new system to use with original and many of the newest released 2600 & 7800 games.

Learn more at:  https://syzygy3200.com/

• Justin, RickR, Clint Thompson and 1 other like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:22 PM

WOW! 

I really like the look of that console.  But the joysticks?  Well, does anyone actually like the fire buttons on the side?  Me personally, they make my thumb hurt and go crying home to mama after a while. 

• Justin likes this

#3 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 689 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:52 AM

It's an interesting design that Atari abandoned.  I like that the same controller works as joystick and paddle (like the controllers on the Gemini) but the side buttons can give you cramps.  Hopefully they are soft enough to depress.

#4 Atarileaf

Atarileaf

Orange Member

• 109 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

I'm interested but wary. Who is this company? What do we know about them? Have they delivered successful products to market in the past?

• MaximumRD likes this

#5 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

I'm interested but wary. Who is this company? What do we know about them? Have they delivered successful products to market in the past?

It's  Curt Vendel....made the 2600 on a chip for the Flashback 2. Also the XM module. He has had issues in past shipping product timely due to health issues but otherwise.........

• Atari Creep and Atarileaf like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#6 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

He has had issues in past shipping product timely due to health issues but otherwise.........

That XM was originally supposed to ship in November 2010. 100-200 were pre-ordered back then.  The last promised ship date was last January (9 months ago), but he already has a new website up for what's basically a new 7800 console?  Damn, what arrogance. 

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 04 October 2018 - 09:11 AM.

• MaximumRD likes this

#7 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:41 AM

That XM was originally supposed to ship in December 2010. 100-200 were pre-ordered back then.  The last promised ship date was last January (9 months ago), but he already has a new website up for what's basically a new 7800 console?  Damn, what arrogance. 

Right, I was  not clear on the details. I had seen someone post over on AA saying until all the XM's ship and are delivered he will avoid any other products announced, seems wise. 

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#8 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 689 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:16 AM

The XM has been making progress, so hopefully it sees release soon and then they move onto the 3200.  I do wonder if they plan to integrate the XM components into this new system also.  It would make sense for them to do so.

#9 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

I had seen someone post over on AA saying until all the XM's ship and are delivered he will avoid any other products announced, seems wise. 

Looks like more than a few agree the XM should be finished before anything else.  But instead he wants to make a new 7800 - something nobody is even demanding?  And on top of it, use other people's money (crowdfunding) for it?  The guy can't even handle shipping out joysticks on time, let alone design one properly, and his previous efforts at designing consoles (Flashback 1 and 2) were riddled with issues.  FB1 was nothing more than a NOAC, and the FB2's VCS-OAC certainly never lived up to that claim, even after multiple revisions:

http://www.ataricomp...flashback2.html

http://www.ataricomp...flashbacks.html

IMO, the XM doesn't look any closer to being completed now than it did 8 years ago.  How many revisions has this thing gone through - none of which ever fully worked?  Unreal.  It's long past time for him to refund everyone and move on.

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 01 October 2018 - 05:43 PM.

• MaximumRD likes this

#10 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 600 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

HMMMMMMM???

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#11 CrossBow

CrossBow

Orange Member

• 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

Part of the issue with the XM debacle is that due to how long the development on it has been, they run into hardware issues with availability of the components they wish to use. So for instance they spec it out and do initial testing with a type or IC on it, and then find issues and then for some reason it sits for ever and then when they get back to it, that component isn't avail and a replacement to be found, which causes changes in the design and more testing again. 

A never ending cycle. 

Even if the XM gets completed soon, there is still a HUGE unknown with it. And that is the same issue that plagued the Concerto SD cart solution that Batari was working on. That being that 7800s are not created equal and what works on some ends up not working on others. So I really hope the XM has a good compatibility base out of the gate. If not, there could be a larger storm that brews from it not to mention loss on both customer and Curt's side of things.

But yeah, I still have #100 of his original high score 7800 carts and it has never worked. It does work to save scores but only as long as the console is left on. Turn it off and it makes me customize the cart all over again and no saved scores and yes the battery has been replaced and even the battery holder multiple times to no avail. I even sent it to another engineer and he was lost on how it was designed in the first place and was surprised that any of them work.

Still I wish the best for Curt and his projects as he is at least trying. But part of me thinks that this new 3200 is a way for him to start from scratch with an ultimate 7800 console that uses predictable hardware and works the same for everyone. Far as I know it has been stated that the 3200 will NOT have XM stuff in it and will basically be just a completely redesigned 7800 with the original capabilities of the 7800. Although a Pokey replacement to embed in it is being looked at as I understand it.

• MaximumRD likes this

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.c...owercollections

#12 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 335 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

I can play 2600 games... AND 7800 games... 

My 7800 already does that  B)

• Justin, MaximumRD and Clint Thompson like this
Host of The Jag Bar | Lynx Lounge | 7800 Avenue
Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube....bHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

#13 CrossBow

CrossBow

Orange Member

• 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

I just thought of something on this. I have to assume that Curt has somehow secured the rights for this from Atari? I know Atari probably only owns the copyrights and trademarks to the logo characters for the original Atari IPs, but I wonder what Atari's take would be here? Curt is planning to make a 7800 that is a modern 7800 with the same capabilities that is updated to current hardware standards. You would think Atari would possibly have issue with that given their close relationship with AtGames?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.c...owercollections

#14 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,173 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

I just thought of something on this. I have to assume that Curt has somehow secured the rights for this from Atari? I know Atari probably only owns the copyrights and trademarks to the logo characters for the original Atari IPs, but I wonder what Atari's take would be here? Curt is planning to make a 7800 that is a modern 7800 with the same capabilities that is updated to current hardware standards. You would think Atari would possibly have issue with that given their close relationship with AtGames?

As long as they don't use the Atari name or logo, they should be fine. Clone systems, like the Gemini, sold in the past and today with have the Retron77.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#15 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:40 PM

Part of the issue with the XM debacle is that due to how long the development on it has been, they run into hardware issues with availability of the components they wish to use....

The main issue is, there was never a clear idea of what this thing was supposed to be.  How many times have the specs changed?  How many times has the board been revised?  Originally it had 16K and a POKEY, along with the High Score cart hardware built-in.  Then when someone mentioned the Xboard - which has128K RAM and a POKEY chip - the spec changed to 128K RAM.  Then the POKEY was supplemented by a Yamaha chip (well, if he didn't order several hundred POKEY chips back then, they currently cost about $30 each these days, so that's another huge expense he'll have to eat...).

You mention the compatibility problem inherent with the 7800 console, and that's always been a huge problem with the console.  Look at how many different hardware variations there are of it, and all the various VCS carts that have problems because of it:

http://www.ataricomp...html#software16

Add-on devices always sound like a good idea on paper, but they've never been successful enough in practice to justify themselves, and ultimately they're viewed as a stop-gap for a next-gen system (Starpath Supercharger and Sega 32X to name 2 examples).  Same with all the different keyboard devices that were mentioned (VCS, 5200, 7800).  By the time they became a reality, home computers became cheap (due to Tramiel's price war).  There were plans to turn the 7800 into a computer early on, which is something Vendel originally wanted to do as far back as 2001:

http://www.atariage....omputer-add-on/ - 2001 got specs on programming 7800 computer

http://www.atariage....ms/topic/80490-  Dec 2005 – back to work on 7800 computer “finally”

http://www.atariage....s/topic/145566- June 2009 - back to work again on 7800 computer (that project was 8 years old at this point at well), but decides to start up the XM project…

History has shown the correct approach is to include such hardware enhancement upgrades in the cartridges themselves.  All the major companies at the time did that with their VCS carts:

http://www.ataricomp.../longevity.html

The Xboard was basically that for the 7800, except it was a mod:

http://www.x-game.se...ucts/xboard.htm

But it was superior spec-wise to the original XM design.  Someone else basically recreated that in cart form, which allowed for games up to 256K in size.  So the correct solutions have been available for years.  But the majority of owners preferred having a huge plug-in device - reason being, all the cost would be upfront with the module, except... I never saw a thread that discussed what the XM carts would cost!  With the Supercharger, the games were like $12-$15 each, so you'd start saving money after a few purchases (the Supercharger was $70 when released, but less than a year later, it was $45).  Maybe it's me, but I can't see AA selling XM carts for $15.

As for the XM, here's some threads I found detailing the first 6 years:

June 2009 - XM announced in conjunction with a 7800 computer.  Original specs – high score cart, 16K RAM, and POKEY chip.:

He asks if anything else should be added, and the first reply mentions the Xboard.

July 2010 - XM going into production:

One month later, and already proposing 2 different designs:

Next month, pre-orders start.  Late Nov ship date announced:

Here's some photos of some parts and a fake box:

Ship date slips to December 10th.  Still a lot to be done yet:

Back from vacation (?).  2 months past original ship date.  Finally get a detailed account of the status fo everything, and the only thing 'done' is the manual:

This thread goes for 50 pages over 2 years.  More shipping dates are announced and delayed.  More specs are added (SIO port, keyboard, etc). Talk about batch #1 being assembled.  Needs to check which carts won't fit the new cart guides (!?)

Sept 2011 (nearly 1 year past original XM ship date) he talks about wanting to make a new 2600/7800 system (AKA 3200):

Oct 2012 - People are rightfully angry with all the excuses and delays.  Others chime in to talk about problems with his new joysticks.  Vendel finally replies 2 months later to explain why he changed his company name from Legacy to Szygy, and threatens no more projects after the XM, and to throw all the XM materials in a wood chipper:

May 2013 - He's thrilled he fixed a test unit:

June 2013 - Sent a broken XM to programmer Bob C.:

March 2014 - Hoping to keep things "under the radar" and ship them out on the anniversary, but the "natives are restless, so there you go".  Thread get's locked after 13 pages:

There's more threads, but you get the idea.  Basically, the XM is talked up, there's delays, there's changes, and then there's silence.  People start speaking up, Vendel goes on the attack, and disappears or the thread gets locked.  A year goes by, and it starts all over again.  When you stand back and look at the whole picture, it has all the earmarks of a scam.  It's eerily similar to what I've seen on the Pinside forums with various, independent pinball "companies" popping up to announce a new pinball game and taking thousands of dollars in pre-orders, only to have photos of designs and artwork and various parts.... and not one order fulfilled, and not even one complete prototype in sight.  Only difference is, most of those cases don't go for 8 years before someone ends up in court.  There were plans to initially sell 300 XMs, and there were anywhere from 150-250 pre-orders (I've seen different numbers thrown around), so we're talking anywhere from $15,000 to $25,000 that people paid.  This project is now over 8 years old (same as the 7800 Computer project prior to the XM).  If anybody still feels this XM is 'legit', and don't see a problem that the person behind it would rather announce yet another new project, and create a new website for it, complete with mockup photos, and talk about taking pre-orders for it... then as the saying goes, 'a fool and his money are soon parted.'

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 05 October 2018 - 11:43 AM.

• MaximumRD and btbfilms76 like this

#16 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:39 AM

The company is one guy working out of his house.  As for delivering successful products... well, he sometimes delivers products, but I don't know of anything he's been involved with that haven't had problems (some serious).  He's tried to start several businesses (Legacy Engineering, Syzygy Company, Awecades, Bidiots, etc), none of which that have been successful.  He's also an ex-felon with the state of NY who served time in the mid-1990s for grand larceny and bail jumping.  

• Justin and MaximumRD like this

#17 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:44 AM

As long as they don't use the Atari name or logo, they should be fine. Clone systems, like the Gemini, sold in the past and today with have the Retron77.

Coleco paid Atari royalties for the sales of the Gemin, after Atari sued them over their VCS Expansion Module, since Coleco illegally cloned the TIA chip.  From Michael Current's website:

https://mcurrent.nam...games.html#1982

December 8th, 1982 - Atari announced that it had filed suit in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division against Coleco Industries, charging patent infringement and unfair competition under State and Federal law. Atari's lawsuit sought a preliminary and permanent injunction against the manufacture and sale of Coleco's Expansion Module No. 1 which was intended to allow Atari's VCS compatible cartridges to be played on the Colecovision home video game unit. Atari claimed that the Coleco cartridge adapter infringed two basic video game patents held by Atari--U.S. Patent No. 4,112,422 covering motion objects commonly referred to as players, missiles or sprites and U.S. Patent No. 4,314,236 relating to digital generation of sound and noise especially suitable to video games. Coleco said it would file a counterclaim charging violations of antitrust law by Atari.

March 11th, 1983 - Atari Inc. and Coleco Industries announced they had settled their December 1982 lawsuits against each other. Under their settlement, the companies said Coleco could continue making and selling its ColecoVision Expansion Module No. 1 and also could ship its planned Atari 2600-compatible Gemini Video Game System. However, Coleco would do so as a licensee of Atari's patents, and would pay a royalty to Atari.

• Justin likes this

#18 CrossBow

CrossBow

Orange Member

• 213 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

Well I've actually been very neutral on the whole XM thing because I never invested into it in the first place. At the time of it being announced, I wasn't in a financial situation to put that kind of money into something like it. Still not really but the point is, I was always planning to wait until it was released before deciding to get one or not.

The only other times I've spent money on a product that didn't happen..was for the WM release of Paprium and a Genesis music cart that I paid in advance for about 2 years ago now that doesn't seem like it will ever happen either. But with the exception of Paprium, I haven't lost a ton on anything here. And I've still got hope that Paprium will get released eventually as the same thing happened when I ordered Pier Solar from WM on its initial run. Paid for it up front and forgot about it, and then it shows up on my door step like 4 or 5 years later.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that we don't really need a replacement console. We have the 7800 already and as was stated, it has the ability to add stuff the games themselves as needed for better sound etc. So all the XM is going to do is put an expensive add-on to the 7800 that will only benefit from a few games. Assuming those even get released since some of the initial XM only games like Teps DK XM/PK hack and Bentley Bear were eventually made and released on standalone carts to work on standard 7800s anyway. 

I can see only one thing that appeals to me on this 3200 system. And it is the fact it is supposed to support native HDMI and have at least the HSC incorporated into it. 

But I think it would be better to invest that development into an actual HDMI solution we can install into our current consoles and perhaps make the HSC available again and offer to fix the older ones that do not work such as my own.

• Justin likes this

#19 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:39 AM

I have an easy HDMI solution for anyone interested....Raspberry Pi running an emulator. 

:mr_t: :wreck-it-ralph: :Nolan_Bushnell:

• Justin likes this

#20 dauber

dauber

Pretzel Member

• 382 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:53 AM

If you honestly believe that nobody is demanding this, then you're not following what's been going on. I know because I WAS ONE OF THE ONES WHO WAS DEMANDING SOMETHING LIKE THIS. But then again, nothing will change your mind in your personal vendetta against Curt.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users