Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

New Syzygy 3200 Console!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

I think there is a lot of demand for something like this. 

But I think there is plenty of evidence for some skepticism.  95% compatibility with games is a requirement we all can agree on.  Do that, and I'd be in.

I have a modded Flashback 2, and I think it's really cool.  But there are problems with a lot of games.  That makes it more of a "niche" product and not my go-to Atari 2600 as it should have been.  Will this 3200 use a "real" TIA, or this new re-created one (from the FB2) that has issues?  Same for MARIA (and 7800 compatibility).  The 7800 library is so small that any compatibility issues would be a killer IMO. 

I see no reason to put down money up-front without more information at least.

• Atarileaf likes this

#22 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:30 PM

I like the idea of real hardware taking real cartridges. I like playing classic games on original Atari consoles and I wish the current owners of "Atari" would have done more with this. Lots of criticism for the new "Atari VCS" that they've been showing off this year. I'd be much more excited if it played real 2600 and 7800 cartridges and took original controllers. I don't mind downloads or Flashbacks or mini consoles, but what earns my respect is real hardware, real cartridges, real joysticks.

• MaximumRD, RickR and Atarileaf like this

#23 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

I like the idea of real hardware taking real cartridges. I like playing classic games on original Atari consoles and I wish the current owners of "Atari" would have done more with this. Lots of criticism for the new "Atari VCS" that they've been showing off this year. I'd be much more excited if it played real 2600 and 7800 cartridges and took original controllers. I don't mind downloads or Flashbacks or mini consoles, but what earns my respect is real hardware, real cartridges, real joysticks.

YES!  It's really that simple.  Put out a new console that simply plays old games on modern TV's and it would sell like nuts.  They could even re-release cartridges and make more money that way.  That' Flashback 77 is the closest thing, and I think that thing is pretty cool. 

• Justin likes this

#24 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

YES!  It's really that simple.  Put out a new console that simply plays old games on modern TV's and it would sell like nuts.  They could even re-release cartridges and make more money that way.  That' Flashback 77 is the closest thing, and I think that thing is pretty cool. 

Exactly! For example a "Pong" cartridge with a great collection of Paddle games (Pong, Super Breakout, Warlords) all on one cartridge. Comes packed with a set of Paddle Controllers. I'd love that!

• RickR likes this

#25 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

It almost sells itself.  Think of all the possibilities for packaging stuff together...

"Space Games"
"Arcade Classics"
"Sports Games Collection"
"Rarities Re-release"

The only thing they'd have to do is make sure it's high quality.  Don't skimp.  99% compatible.  Use the old controller and console designs as much as possible. 

• Justin likes this

#26 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

It almost sells itself.  Think of all the possibilities for packaging stuff together...

"Space Games"
"Arcade Classics"
"Sports Games Collection"
"Rarities Re-release"

The only thing they'd have to do is make sure it's high quality.  Don't skimp.  99% compatible.  Use the old controller and console designs as much as possible. 

YES! Use the old controller and console designs as much as possible. And when possible, expand on the Atari legacy in ways we would have always loved...

"Arcade Classics" bundled with a new, authentic-looking "Atari Arcade Stick" compatible with 2600 and 7800 games. Think NES Advantage but for Atari. Everything Atari should've put out to keep Nintendo in check.

• RickR likes this

#27 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

Man, why aren't WE involved in designing this?

And as mentioned...make it high quality.  Look at what Nintendo did with the NES and SNES Classic consoles.  Easy to use.  Bright, beautiful packaging.  Fairly priced. 

How about a "5200 that should have been"?  Smaller console.  HDMI output.  The gimble controller with better buttons.  The entire Atari library unaltered and included on-board. 

#28 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:26 PM

You mean the Retron 77, by Hyperkin

http://www.ataricomp...m_retron_77.jpg

https://www.hyperkin.com/

I briefly spent some time using one.  It's not perfect, but it's neat for what it is - an emulator-based VCS console that takes cartridges, but it uses the best emulator (Stella), and can be updated at your convenience.  It's what AtGames should have done years ago.

• RickR likes this

#29 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:29 PM

Agree, Scott.  I've heard complaints about the controllers on the 77, but if it uses the same connector as real 2600 sticks, I don't see a problem there.  I need to look into getting one of those. 

#30 CrossBow

CrossBow

Orange Member

• 213 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:11 PM

If you honestly believe that nobody is demanding this, then you're not following what's been going on. I know because I WAS ONE OF THE ONES WHO WAS DEMANDING SOMETHING LIKE THIS. But then again, nothing will change your mind in your personal vendetta against Curt.

I didn't mean to intend that it isn't needed. Well, I don't really see the need for it but then I'm just as content to play on one of the two 7800s that I have that already work. I have a UAV installed and have the s-video going into a nice AV selector through the OSSC. But even then I would prefer a digital HDMI out like I have with my Hi-DEF NES or the SNES and NES classics provide. 

If it can have excellent compatibility and be consistent in how it works with games then I can see people buying them. Hell I would just for the native HDMI output! But we Atari lot are a picky group of people. 

And while I have nothing against Curt personally, he does seem to have a lot to do to get the trust of the community back.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.c...owercollections

#31 CrossBow

CrossBow

Orange Member

• 213 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

I have an easy HDMI solution for anyone interested....Raspberry Pi running an emulator. 

:mr_t: :wreck-it-ralph: :Nolan_Bushnell:

Actually I don't know the specifics, but I've been told that some of the HDMI modded 7800s actually use a Pi solution to do the conversion to HDMI output. Again, the specifics on how this is done is being kept hush hush because the modders that offer it do so with completed already modded 7800s they sell and won't give up the information.

But most of the others are just using $20 composite to HDMI boards inside them along with the cheap $5 transistor composite mod all crammed into the 7800 innards. I know this because I dissected one of them as the owner paid nearly $200 for it shipped and was pretty disappointed with the video output. It was all taken out...brought back to stock condition and a UAV installed instead. Never looked better after that. So yeah I do wish there was a better actual digital HDMI solution for the 7800. Having that it would be the ultimate 2600 and 7800 console. And that is the only part that appeals to me with the newly announced 3200.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.c...owercollections

#32 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

I agree. Nothing against Curt personally as I have never met the guy...but his track record isn't exactly the best. I lost all faith in the XM being released. For me to believe the console is being made, it would have to be done by someone else...but even that could be iffy.

Personally, I'd like to see that console make a début! A physical console that takes physical carts. No one is making carts any more. It is either discs or digital downloads. The closest to carts is the memory cards Nintendo is using for the Switch and various DS models.

As for the 5200? It would be neat to see a mini version. Only problem I foresee are the controllers. The potentiometers those controllers used were apparently special made for the 5200 because those are very hard to find if they can be found at all. That particular value the 5200 requires is even difficult to find with modern potentiometers. I won't doubt the 5200 has a great, well-rounded, library with some exclusives but it would mean someone would have to bring a new controller design to the table.

#33 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:33 PM

The 5200 is just a bastardized version of the 400, so a mini 400 console (sans keyboard) would be the way to go.  At least with that you'd have the ability to use any compatible 9-pin controllers, plus the carts are much smaller.  The few 5200-exclusive games have all been converted to use 'digital' joysticks years ago, so there's just no reason to deal with all the 5200's faults again.  If Hyperkin or someone else went the same route with that as with the Retron 77, there are 2 Stella-worthy emulators already available - Atari800Win and Altirra.

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 05 October 2018 - 05:34 PM.

#34 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

No no no, you guys.  I'm hoping for the original 5200 "gimble" joystick.  The one that had an RC airplane-styled joystick.  Before they cheaped out and went with the rubber boot.  Or how about a stick that's just like the analog stick on a modern console controller (PS2, PS3, PS4, etc)? 

• MaximumRD likes this

#35 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

I've only ever seen the rubber boot version, and a friend of mine got the original (4-port) version as soon as it came out (late 1982). I got mine the following year, and it was the 2-port version by then.  Now, other systems had the style you're describing (Apple, PC, etc) but those are usually self-centering, something the 5200 sorely needed.

Considering most arcade games back then used digital (4 or 8-way) joysticks, it was a horrible decision to use an analog joystick for a system who's library comprised mostly of arcade ports.

• MaximumRD likes this

#36 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 689 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:58 PM

Curt posted this over at Atari Age...

- Well, all in due time, XM for now...   the other console afterwards...  I'm just putting all of the needed things together for that so when the time comes things will be ready and then we'll take it from there, but thanks for the support.

- I don't abandon anything...   get that out of your mind.   I made a promise and commitment, I don't do that to people, thats not right nor fair.     People will get their XM's.

• MaximumRD likes this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#37 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:54 PM

Nor is it fair or right to string people along for 8 years - people who've already prepaid for this thing.  Mind you, this is in a thread from last January with the subject "XM shipping this month".  No, the right and fair thing to do is refund everyone.

#38 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 689 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:00 AM

That's for the people who spent their money to decide and hardly anyone has requested a refund. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#39 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 210 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:28 PM

Probably because Vendel said no refunds would be allowed with the XM:

http://atariage.com/...page/?p=2557429

"I have been very cooperative with you, even though as you know there were no refunds..."

According to that thread, at least one person fought and got a refund for his XM order, but how many people are wiling to jump through the hoops to get it?

Then again, even when he does offer refunds, like with those USB joysticks, there's no shortage of folks who've had issues with their orders, or replacements, or refunds. Here's a but a few:

http://atariage.com/...npacking/page-5

http://atariage.com/...by-curt/page-10

http://atariage.com/...s/topic/273797-

But these have been the same, recurring issues with him for over 20 years now, with anything he's tried to sell - disappearing for months at a time, never sending out items people paid for (or he does after repeated efforts to contact him, sometimes taking several months or more):

https://groups.googl...i8/v2hku61VOpEJ

https://groups.googl...qg/NSWPpeU5NywJ

#40 CrossBow

CrossBow

Orange Member

• 213 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:58 PM

Agree, Scott.  I've heard complaints about the controllers on the 77, but if it uses the same connector as real 2600 sticks, I don't see a problem there.  I need to look into getting one of those. 

I've seen and played a bit on a Retro77. I was NOT impressed with it at all. The main issue with it is that it was incredibly finicky with actual carts. Most of the activision ones didn't fire up because the pins on the cart port were very loose and didn't make good contact. We had to do the ole wedge something in the cart slot trick to push the cart in a certain direction to get it to read. 

The controllers themselves broke internally within the first day it was plugged in and used.

The switches on the front of the Retro'77 felt very cheap and not like they would withstand any real long term use. 

This particular unit was not a pre-sale unit either. It was an actual released version that was setup for use in a retro game store here in my town. And it didn't get that much use to be honest since everyone wants to play on the PS4 and XB1 consoles...not the classics. 

So yeah..I wasn't that impressed with it at all. When the games did come up and work, they certainly looked great though through HDMI. I will give them that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users