Got a Dreamcast!

leolinden

Can you guys recommend a good resource for these? I'd rather rely on you guys than the Googles.

I haven't had any success with a MAME emulator on my Mac so if I could get a good one for the Dreamcast, that would be ideal.

PLEASE READ ALL FULLY. ESPECIALLY THAT BOLDED STUFF  :rofl: 

For everything mentioned including emulators already packed with associated ROMS my only and best resource is http :// www.theisozone.com / (no spaces of course) but that said WARNING - I have learned many times in past when saying this, this site is crazy with advertising , pop -ups etc, I AM TELLING YOU THIS UP FRONT, for me it was never an issue and in past when giving this site recommendation would get people come back complaining the site is malicious, it gave me this or that etc.

YES the site does generate revenue through ads etc I have never noticed as I don't use IE on there, I use  Chrome or Firefox with pop-up and adblockers add-ons like uBlock etc. SO, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING and can navigate such sites securely and without worry then it is a hell of a resource. You find what you want, click the link for info and chose the FREE download link option, do NOT pick the ISO RECOMMENDS as that is for paid members, the FREE option download mirror on the RIGHT (see second example image) THAT will take you to a file download site FIREDROP (See 3rd example image) your download link will appear after a few seconds, click THAT and ONLY that, a window will appear and you select location to download to.

For the record I am not trying to sound like a douche, if I am telling you things that are obvious to you or you think "I am not an idiot" please understand that is not the intention, I have just gotten shy about recommending such sites only to have people come back complaining about the ads, pops-ups, downloading malicious files etc, it used to surprise me honestly because I use to think "What the hell are you talking about?" then I tried the same thing in IE without pop up or ad blockers and I understood what they were complaining about lol. So no, this is not over kill, it is much needed advice for some as I have learned and frankly I would rather cover my butt than having someone complain later. Lastly, I will say well worth the effort to just use a little precaution, good to learn anyways because as a resource  http :// www.theisozone.com /  is just way above the other places where you might find an emulator here or a game there, or download every rom separate, on  http :// www.theisozone.com /  just download, unzip and burn to disc (I use ImgBurn for those tasks, google it, free, light and just works ;) ) So I leave it at that, do or don't, research and learn and the rewards are well worth it IMHO.  :spot:

eyZiJ2G.jpg

pozJREk.jpg

s1CqbI4.jpg

Tips - use search , works pretty good on the site if looking for a specific emulator or homebrew, most are usually full archived packages complete ready to burn and play. 

There is a nice forum community there as well. Some are probably tired of the "I CAN'T BURN THIS GAME!" or "HOW DO I UNZIP THAT?" type posts BUT if you tread lightly, ask nicely, be respectful and thankful you will find many helpful and friendly people as well.

Get use to the layout, click the DOWNLOADS tab up top and find your category.  

IMPORTANT - I take the time and effort to present a great resource option for those up to it. Beyond that, if you chose to go this root I offer no other support, help etc, I simply do not have the time or frankly the motivation. I simply like people to be informed and aware of options whether or not it is right for you is your decision, if so you can find any further help or assistance in the forum guidelines and help as well as the community over there - THIS IS MY ONE AND ONLY POST LIKE THIS FOR THIS SITE, TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS.  B)

Before anyone complains or point it out YES there are a ton of ripped games / iso / roms commercial , retail of course, whatever your stance on this the site just so happens to also be an awesome hub / resource for Homebrew , Emulation , Hacked ROMS, Translated ROMS, Unreleased titles etc so that said you are your own moral guide and live by your own code and guidelines, keep it that way, do as you will (or don't) but as well do not inflict your morals on others. There is no pirating of current or last gen there as well you can read there forum rules regarding upload restrictions, this is there own set guidelines, accpet them and participate or don't, nobody is claiming they are 100% legit lol. - (FROM THE SITES RULES AND GUIDELINES) NOT ALLOWED -

Any files related to current or last generation console or PC titles. Wii, WiiU, PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4, X360, XBONE

Any games currently being sold by their rights holders.

Cracks, Hacks, Serials related to current gen consoles or pc

PSP retail Isos

NDS Roms Released after 2008

PC Titles released after 2007

PC Titles which are available on Steam, Regardless of age. The original versions are OK But not the Steam versions.

PS2 Titles that are new releases i.e Fifa 13

Homebrew titles which have been released by independent developers that are for sale

Androids apps which are not freeware

Iphone apps which are not freeware

Linux software that isn't freeware

GOG [Good Old Games] Titles - The original versions are OK But not the gog versions.

Thanks! Enjoy or don't, I just want people to be aware of an awesome resource and then chose to follow of their own accord.  ;)

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Awesome! Thank you sir!

You won't hear me complain. Any issues I would run into are my doing. I appreciate the lengthy post!!

Coolio, than it was entirely worth it, have fun buddy!  ;)

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

You should make this its own post in the Emulation forum!!  :pac_man:

Hmmmm maybe I will.........maybe I will..........

- M. Bison

Good idea Yo-Yo!  ;) I'll start one once I start the process. 

Quick, noob question. What is an "Isos"?

And on the note here is my response in the newly posted thread HERE http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/927-navigating-iso-zone-safely/

As to keep THIS thread on topic, continue further questions on the subject there. Also, I am done and will try to resist further participation lol leaving further response and answer up to others.  ;)

- M. Bison

Yeah, I like the idea of you creating the post better.  :D

Hah I read ahead to fast and misunderstood, getting ahead of myself, thought the suggestion was for me lol :rofl: but clearly not, STILL what's done is done as I went ahead and posted it anyway so such discussion (ISO's, ROMS, etc) will be just fine in the new thread.  :pac_man:

- M. Bison

Anywho back on topic. DREAMCAST really is awesome. Love so many games on it, the first fully 3D Resident Evil Code Veronica was great as well as Dreamcast specific titles. While many think piracy was the Dreamcasts main contributor to it's retail demise actually Sega mishandling it as well as many 3rd party not supporting it (EA refusing to get on board hurt much more than SEGA admitted) were arguably much bigger contributors. That and the PS2 marketing blitz along with basically an included point of entry into the then growing popularity of DVD format were simply too much for the Dreamcast platform to shoulder. BUT that said it really was the first and very powerful hardware into the next gen of gaming with some very interesting ideas as well as some goofy but all mostly fun ideas, accessories and games. Well worth having, collecting for and experimenting with for sure. 

Some good primers for those new, on the fence for the platform

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-undiscovered-sega-dreamcast-games

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/dreamcast/games-that-defined-dreamcast

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/dreamcast/the-best-dreamcast-games-under-10

- M. Bison

I was an early adopter of the Dreamcast back in '98 or '99. I had an extensive Saturn collection at the time, including steering wheel and tons of games, etc. and I traded it all in at a game shop in SoCal just to bring home the shiny new DC and two games. Flag to Flag racing and Expendables were the two games. I ended up being very sorry that I got rid of the Saturn, as I didn't get what my collection was nearly worth, and I miss it dearly (still want to get it again), but I wasn't disappointed in the DC either, it's second in my top 3 all-time favorite consoles, first being the Jaguar and third being the 3DO.

I love the great hack and home-brew and emulation scene on the Dreamcast, and currently play all my Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, Sega Master system, Sega Genesis and Amiga games through emulation on the DC, at least until I move into my new home and either set up the real hardware or get what I sold out of the above back in real hardware form again. I also play all the great old FPS PC games like Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake's ports on the DC and love them all. Also a big fan of Half-life and the Half-Life extensions like Blue Shift, etc.

The DC is the best system ever for racing games too, one of my favorite genres along with FPS's. An awesome system for sure...only if the 3DO had an after-life in ports and home-brews like the Dreamcast and Jaguar...and other Atari systems...  :(

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

DC was my last day one system purchase. The comercial failure of the Jaguar, Saturn and DC turned me away from being an early adopter in future hardware generations. Now I wait until the second hardware revision, a price drop and the development of the library to see what suits me. This has helped to take the bite out of backing a losing horse. I'm still very happy with my PS3 and don't see moving onto the PS4 or XBOX One for awhile.

On topic: My favorite DC games were Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, Soul Reaver, Crazy Taxi, Ready 2 Rumble and Power Stone.

DC was my last day one system purchase. The comercial failure of the Jaguar, Saturn and DC turned me away from being an early adopter in future hardware generations. Now I wait until the second hardware revision, a price drop and the development of the library to see what suits me. This has helped to take the bite out of backing a losing horse. I'm still very happy with my PS3 and don't see moving onto the PS4 or XBOX One for awhile.

On topic: My favorite DC games were Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, Soul Reaver, Crazy Taxi, Ready 2 Rumble and Power Stone.

this is completely true of me as well. I actually vowed, after the demise of the Jaguar, that I would never be an early adopter of a system again, but I went against that vow when buying the DC, I just fell in love instantly. But, since buying the DC new back then, and it failing, I have stuck to my original vow for the last 16-17 years, I have not bought another system even NEW, let alone early on. I just upgraded from an Xbox to Xbox 360 one year ago, and only because my brother gave me his 360 when he upgraded to a slim-line 360 with larger HD and Kinect. The original Xbox was also a gift from my brother when he first upgraded to a 360. And he just told me two days ago that he bought an XBOX One, so he's sending me his slim-line 360 for Christmas! He, unlike me, still buys the latest systems as soon as he can, however, the only system he ever bought that "failed" was the Saturn and it had a good library so he never considered that a bad choice or a failure. He did move on to the PSX around '97/98, then the XBOX when it came out, and has been buying the latest Xbox ever since. I just take his hand-me-downs or else the Dreamcast would probably still be the newest system in my collection. I only by vintage any more, even my XBOX games are mostly hand-me-downs, except for three games: Fallout 3, Skyrim and GTA 5 I bought off of Xbox Live.

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

Oh, I'm indeed very interested in collecting for the DC. I think I'm finally gonna just pony up and pay $18 for a tv cable, because I'm rather tired of not being able to use it. I don't know where to find games cheaply, though. From what I've gathered, DC games tend to be rather pricey on Ebay. :(

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Archived