COLLECTING FOR NINTENDO FAMICOM - Exploring Arcades

Justin

This is a short video we made with Dan at Lost Ark Video Games. He gives a brief introduction to import gaming and collecting for Nintendo Famicom. The Famicom was Japan's version of the NES. It's a great starter system if you're interested in collecting import games and just getting started. Dan walks you through what the Famicom is, why it's fun to collect for, and the different ways you can play Famicom games. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/esWLWBa61HY

Nice video. I never really gave these games much thought. I remember seeing these in game stores in the early 90s and thinking they were ugly pirate carts. Now I want to go buy a Famicom game! Maybe I'll get Mario in Japanese -.-

Very cool, I like that the Famicom carts were not standardized and design was open to the whim of the manufacturers, makes for much more interesting and varied collecting. I find the aesthetic much more interesting from label to cart to box design and artwork compared to the USA equivalents not to mention the good titles that never saw a U.S. distribution.

While I never owned or collected Famicom, I was barely aware of the existence or option back in my original 8bit collecting heyday I DO today have one of those adapters to allow Famicarts on a Nintnedo system. I never found one in Gyromite or anything or had the HoneyBee official converter I just got a cheap knockoff converter from AliExpress. Oddly THE ONLY Famicom cart I have to play is also a cheap knockoff tht cost me like $8 shipped from AliExpress and is also knockoff but tat said it is not that bad lol, Here is a picture of it included with the Famicom adapter, it's a "Coolboy" brand multi Famicom cart with supposedly 400 games on it but of course many are just simple games and others repeat clone games but there did seem to be a lot of actual original games on it as well making it at least worth the $8 I paid for the cart (though I paid $20 for the adapter) but at least I do have the means to play them should any Famicom carts cross my path. I really been meaning to get around to do a video on this crazy cart! It's on my to do list........

post-15-0-19084900-1430553425_thumb.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Archived