Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Garage Sale Finds

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

The Mrs. and I had a busy morning!  I was at the end of my budget after a couple of hours.   Got this haul all for $37.
ifg6Med.jpg

• MaximumRD, greenween, RickR and 3 others like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

Haven't tested them all yet, but my fingers are crossed!  And that is my first 7800 system!

• greenween likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

I've got 7800 games for you in the trading post.
  • Justin and greenween like this

#4 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

Sweet deal.

Congrats on taking in an abandoned 7800 into your home!

The garage sales around here should be starting soon.

Here, people stick announcements to electric posts a month in advance because it's all duplexes and triplexes and sidewalks and alleys.

No space, no time to walk n' stop. With the phone-in-hand walk nowadays, hardly looking up.

In the town where I grew up for a while, there are now by-laws whereas you need a permit to make a garage sale and only on certain days, a few times per year.

On the upside, you can get in your car and drive around to find sales at every other house.

I digress.

Keep us updated on the gametime status of your haul, Row.

Curious about the 7800 experience.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#5 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

Thanks!  The Atari powers up fine, I need to get the RF hooked up and at least test it with a 2600 game.  

• Arenafoot likes this

#6 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 958 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

Score ! Nice grabs man! 

• Rowsdower70 likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#7 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,154 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

hopefully they all work!

• Rowsdower70 likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

NES tested, needs a good pin polishing.  

Flashback works fine, but wow how bad are those controllers?

#9 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 958 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

NES tested, needs a good pin polishing.  

Flashback works fine, but wow how bad are those controllers?

Oh yeah the original Flashback was really more of a testing the waters device, also uses NES-on a chip with the games being ports, and those included controllers work only with the unit. Later Flashbacks , well the 2 and 2+ were actually really good as they were re-engineered hardware based on original 2600 chipset, even has traces on the board where some modders added an cart slot for very good compatibility with original carts plus you can use original joysticks and paddles. From the 3 onward they were not designed by the same people but most buyers seemed satisfied, they mostly just change up the games list and amount of included titles. I have the Flashback 2 and I am happy with it as a convenience / conversation piece but my favorite thing is using my Harmony cart with one of my original Woody or Vader models.  

• Justin, RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#10 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

That's a bang-on assessment MaximumRD. The Flashback is what it is, the general public seems to have liked them. If you want the closest thing to real Atari hardware though stick with the 2 or 2+.

• MaximumRD, RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#11 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

I have a Flashback 2 as well.

• MaximumRD likes this

#12 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Don't like the Flashback 1 controllers?  Well, you'll hate the real 7800 controllers then.  They are just a larger version of the flashback ones. 

• Arenafoot and Rowsdower70 like this

#13 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

They just seem to be too touchy on the diagonals. 

#14 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:42 AM

Don't like the Flashback 1 controllers?  Well, you'll hate the real 7800 controllers then.  They are just a larger version of the flashback ones. 

Yeah I've never used the flashback 1 controllers but have tried the 7800 controllers...they are awful!

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#15 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:00 AM

You do get used to the 7800 controller, but it's really a shame when compared to the gamepad Nintendo made for the NES.  There is a ton of criticism of that controller out there, and I hate to pile on.  I did buy an upgrade for one of mine that has just a short ball instead of the long shaft, and it's a huge improvement.  And many games don't need that second button, so the ability to use a 2600 stick is a huge plus. 

• nosweargamer likes this

#16 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,554 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

You do get used to the 7800 controller, but it's really a shame when compared to the gamepad Nintendo made for the NES.  There is a ton of criticism of that controller out there, and I hate to pile on.  I did buy an upgrade for one of mine that has just a short ball instead of the long shaft, and it's a huge improvement.  And many games don't need that second button, so the ability to use a 2600 stick is a huge plus. 

I've gotten used to my newest Atari 7800 Edladdin controller  ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• ed.jpg

• RickR, Arenafoot and Rowsdower70 like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#17 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,154 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

still would like to try one of these..... 

atari_7800pal_controller_2.jpg

• nosweargamer and Rowsdower70 like this

#18 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,554 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

still would like to try one of these..... 

atari_7800pal_controller_2.jpg

They work better than the pro line by far, BUT it is near impossible to hit both buttons at the same time due to how the buttons lay in the plastic rather than above it.  I would recommend using a Sega Genesis controller with the Edladdin Seagull 78 adapter that lets you use Genesis controllers with 2 button games on the 7800.

Attached Thumbnails

• seagull.jpeg

• RickR, Arenafoot and Rowsdower70 like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#19 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,105 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

I need to jump on the garage sale bandwagon. I'm hesitant because I wonder if I'll be able to find anything of value. I suppose I won't know until I try, right?

For those that do it regularly, what would you say your percentage is of finding something? I'm not talking major score, just if they have any games/systems, pre-2000.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#20 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:26 PM

XBox, 3 controllers (including 2 original giant USA models), and 4 games. 

Attached Thumbnails

• xbox 2016-07-02 001.JPG

• nosweargamer and Rowsdower70 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users