Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Garage Sale Finds

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

I need to jump on the garage sale bandwagon. I'm hesitant because I wonder if I'll be able to find anything of value. I suppose I won't know until I try, right?

For those that do it regularly, what would you say your percentage is of finding something? I'm not talking major score, just if they have any games/systems, pre-2000.

I have been doing HEAVY garage sales for over a year now.   
I have had some KILLER scores over the past year.
That being said, here's what I have NEVER found in the wild:
Atari anything.   I found ONE Atari 7800 system once, and since then I've not seen so much as a loose cart or controller. 
For that matter, I have never found anything Intellivision or Colecovision related at all.  Not a thing.  Not once.
I have never found any NES or SNES games at a garage sale.  I have seen one person with an NES and Mike Tyson's Punchout, but they wanted $80 firm for it.  I have found one NES front loader system (at the same sale I got the 7800)
I have found a TI-994a once.  Other than that I have never found a single classic computer system in any way, shape, or form.

Here's what I do find a lot of:
Gameboy systems and games, sometimes DS, even found a PSP and some games for it from time to time.   Handheld game system and games are fairly common-ish. You'll likely find DS, GBA, and Gameboy stuff.   Sometimes even Sega Game Gear.
Speaking of Sega:  I still find a pretty regular amount of Sega Genesis stuff for whatever reason.  Still find systems sometimes, and a loose game here and there.  Not sure why I find that more than Nintendo, but that is definitely the case.
You'll find LOTS of Wii, XBox, Xbox360, PS2, and PS3 games.   Lots of them.  By far the most common.  Not a bad thing for me, but I rarely keep anything out of those finds.  
I also tend to find lots of Guitar Hero controllers, Rock Band controllers, and odd driving controllers etc.
You'll find lots of terrible PC games, but keep an eye out for the occasional big box PC games.   Some of those fetch a nice price.

All in all, I enjoy it.   I get VERY little for my own collecting out of them, but I get lots of flea market/eBay fodder, and some nice trade goods. I also find lots of old board games, sometimes electronic games, etc.  The hunt is fun. 

Your area might be totally different, and I find that some areas aren't as good as others.  For example, very affluent neighborhoods are usually terrible.  Multi-family garage sales are awesome.  Church garage sales are very random, and I find very strange things there.

Make a day of it, hit the thrift stores, etc.   And let us know what you find!

• RickR likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#22 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

I haven't been in a month myself, and this thread makes me miss it.

Lack of funds + overwhelming heat has just kept me home.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#23 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but it really helps to ask the person holding the garage sale.  "Do you have any video games?"  That's exactly how I got the xbox yesterday.  A lot of times, people just don't think anyone would want "that old junk".  What's really kind of cool is that if you get to know the person, they'll keep you in mind if they do find old stuff later. 

• Rowsdower70 and Ballblaɀer like this

#24 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:47 PM

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but it really helps to ask the person holding the garage sale.  "Do you have any video games?"  That's exactly how I got the xbox yesterday.  A lot of times, people just don't think anyone would want "that old junk".  What's really kind of cool is that if you get to know the person, they'll keep you in mind if they do find old stuff later. 

Ask about handhelds too, most common folks don't trigger those in their head if you say video games. 

• RickR and Ballblaɀer like this

#25 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,554 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

From last weekend. Not a lot of sales, but ended up with a few nice finds

IMG_5260.JPG

Playstation Controller - 50 cents (My son also got some free lego pieces and a matchbox car from a random box of stuff)

IMG_5255.JPG

Plant's vs Zombies DS - $1

The lady was getting rid of her girls DS and some games together. I wasn't interested in the system nor most of the game that involve taking care of ponies and such, but I did ask her if I could buy this one separate. Not only did she say yes for only a buck, but she also sent her kid to find the case since she only had the cart outside!

IMG_5261.JPG

Mad Magazine: The Board Game - $1 (I remember seeing this game as a kid, but never had the chance to play it)

IMG_5256.JPG IMG_5257.JPG IMG_5258.JPG IMG_5259.JPG

Disney DVDs - 10 for $15 (All DVDs at this sale were $2 each or 3 for $5, but I got an even better deal. I was most excited to get the 1st and 2nd Season Dinosaurs set, even if it is missing it's slipcase and has marker on the front. NOT THE MOMMA!)

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and jmjustin6 like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#26 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

I just found a copy of MAD recently at a garage sale myself, but it wasn't in nearly as good shape as yours.  I think it's complete minus some dice, though.

• nosweargamer likes this

#27 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,554 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

I tried something new and put my finds from last Saturday in this video (along with the finds I already posted about from two Saturdays ago)

Edited by nosweargamer, 05 June 2017 - 08:47 AM.

• Justin, Rowsdower70 and jmjustin6 like this

#28 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

19030493_910121852459190_419131670569021

I didn't have much of a budget today, but it was all blown before 8am.

Total Spent:  $29
Total Value:  $91

Not too shabby!

EDIT:  Interesting note, most of this was one garage sale, they had 2 XBox 360 systems they wanted $125 each for, Xbox controllers for $15 each, and they wanted 7 bucks each for Xbox games.     But they had a Wii for $25 (I ran out of monies), and all the Wii games were $5 each, as were the DS games.
Curious pricing to say the least.  I guess they mistakenly thought XBox > Nintendo in value.   

Edited by Rowsdower70, 09 June 2017 - 09:18 AM.

• RickR, nosweargamer and jmjustin6 like this

#29 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

Boy were they so wrong. Good grabs!
  • Rowsdower70 likes this

#30 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

I bought that MAD Magazine board game as a kid and absolutely loved it.  We still have it, and my kids also loved that one.  The one thing that cracks everyone up is that it came with a rock. 

• nosweargamer and Rowsdower70 like this

#31 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

From the last three Saturdays:

• jmjustin6 likes this

#32 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

$10 for the halo helmet!! That was a great find. I always wanted one when they first came out but haven't had luck finding one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users