Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Jag Bar

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 317 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:26 AM

@btbfilms76:That's really interesting to hear (reason why Shane did'nt really take to Battlemorph), it's often the way, people will be eager to try a game that looks similar to something they loved on previous hardware, on hardware they are just now 'discovering' and then coming away rather dissapointed as their expectations were dashed when they find actual gameplay is very different.

Lot of Doom/Doom II fans could'nt get on with AVP's slower pace....

COD fans went to Killzone 2 expecting a sci-fi themed similar exp, could'nt get used to the differing control and 'feel'.

Sometimes folks stick with the games, learn to appreciate what they offer, sometime even games are patched to suit the more mainstream views (Killzone 2) and people still move on...

It's really as simple as horses for courses :)

One of the thing I have to tell the guests before we start shooting is you can't compare these games with the games of today, thats just too easy.  I tell them the year of the game and other games that would have been out at that time "so put yourself back in that mind set".  I loved AVP, that was the reason I got the system, It looked amazing for the time, can't wait to cover that game.

• The Professor, Lost Dragon and Bakerman like this
Host of The Jag Bar | Lynx Lounge | 7800 Avenue
Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube....bHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

#42 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:08 AM

One of the thing I have to tell the guests before we start shooting is you can't compare these games with the games of today, thats just too easy.  I tell them the year of the game and other games that would have been out at that time "so put yourself back in that mind set".  I loved AVP, that was the reason I got the system, It looked amazing for the time, can't wait to cover that game.

I think it's probably lost on people who don't remember it at the time just how big of a leap the Jaguar was in 1993 and how incredible the games looked when we first saw them in magazines. They were magical. I played Cybermorph for hours.
  • Lost Dragon and Bakerman like this

#43 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

It was AVP that blew me away and in an instant simply showcased just how far ahead of the MD/SNES/Mega CD the hardware was.....

I'd loved the 2D Alien 3 games on MD and SNES, both different games, but both sweet, but this? OMG....... mindblowing to an Aliens fan like myself. Preview video on Gamesmaster TV sold me the console, the actual game even better, just so atmospheric, espically the Xeno's lurking in the shadows, corpses on the ground etc.

Cybermorph? technically fine but just lacked graphical flair, in terms of buildings, craft, weapons etc just looked too basic, ATD etc really needed a graphical designer with a touch of style i feel, visuals were more workmanlike than hand crafted for the game if that makes sense?, but they were a small studio, so it's unfair for me to harp on too much in that regard.

AVP simply worked because there was nothing else like it on Console at the time i saw it running.

• btbfilms76 and Bakerman like this

#44 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 317 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

It was AVP that blew me away and in an instant simply showcased just how far ahead of the MD/SNES/Mega CD the hardware was.....

I'd loved the 2D Alien 3 games on MD and SNES, both different games, but both sweet, but this? OMG....... mindblowing to an Aliens fan like myself. Preview video on Gamesmaster TV sold me the console, the actual game even better, just so atmospheric, espically the Xeno's lurking in the shadows, corpses on the ground etc.

Cybermorph? technically fine but just lacked graphical flair, in terms of buildings, craft, weapons etc just looked too basic, ATD etc really needed a graphical designer with a touch of style i feel, visuals were more workmanlike than hand crafted for the game if that makes sense?, but they were a small studio, so it's unfair for me to harp on too much in that regard.

AVP simply worked because there was nothing else like it on Console at the time i saw it running.

I need to pick up a Cybermorph just to play for kicks, I never got it as a pack in so I have no idea how it plays other then what the internet tells me.  

The Jaguar for me was the system that was doing what the other guys weren't, it was like a total break away from the past and we were witnessing the future of what was to come in gaming.  No more side scrollers, no more 2d games of the past, I really bought into the 3D power this cat could deliver.  

But that was the down fall, I feel like all that power and energy went into the tech and the game play took a hit.

The cool thing about the Jaguar is that the hit games were unique to the Jag and no one else had anything like it.  

• Justin, The Professor, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#45 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:26 AM

I really like Cybermorph. I had one of the very first Jaguars out of Sunnyvale and the game felt groundbreaking at the time. I felt there could have been more music and tighter fit and finish to the game, but that's to be expected from the Tramiels and I was used to that on the Lynx. Still an enjoyable game that I spent hours playing.  :atari_jaguar:

• MaximumRD, btbfilms76, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#46 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 317 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

I really like Cybermorph. I had one of the very first Jaguars out of Sunnyvale and the game felt groundbreaking at the time. I felt there could have been more music and tighter fit and finish to the game, but that's to be expected from the Tramiels and I was used to that on the Lynx. Still an enjoyable game that I spent hours playing.  :atari_jaguar:

If I were to pick this up in the wild what am I looking for?  I understand there is a 1 mb and 2mb version, what one should I look for?

#47 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

If I were to pick this up in the wild what am I looking for?  I understand there is a 1 mb and 2mb version, what one should I look for?

I'll send ya one ;)
  • MaximumRD, btbfilms76 and Lost Dragon like this

#48 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:45 PM

Cool! Now BTB can torture his Star Fox loving friend again! :fyou:

This is what Atarian's do to Nintendo lovers. You'll play what BTB gives you and like it! :pile:-head.  :lol:

Let him stand there...and look into the Abyss.  :nintendo_mario_fireball:

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#49 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,062 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:00 PM

Cool! Now BTB can torture his Star Fox loving friend again! :fyou:

This is what Atarian's do to Nintendo lovers. You'll play what BTB gives you and like it! :pile:-head.  :lol:

Let him stand there...and look into the Abyss.  :nintendo_mario_fireball:

Not everything needs to be so over the top extreme, just play and have fun it's not a competition  ;)

• The Professor and Bakerman like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#50 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:32 PM

Not everything needs to be so over the top extreme, just play and have fun it's not a competition  ;)

Of course i totally kid here...remarks refer to jag bar vids, if you don't recall or haven't seen, stuff BTB and his friend said in videos Battlemorph and checkered flag. BTB will get my jokes. it's had-to-be-there/had-to-see-it jokes, my dry sense of humor...sorry. I'm sorry you misunderstand the humor. i guess you have not watched Checkered flag video? it all references comments in video.

Edited by Bakerman, 25 November 2015 - 11:50 PM.

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#51 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:00 AM

MaximumRD did not misunderstand your humor. I would heed his warning. This is a really chill, welcoming group of quality people. Nothing like other groups. Nobody is combative. Intensity, negativity and abrasiveness at any level, joke or not, isn't going to go over well.
  • MaximumRD likes this

#52 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:30 AM

Ok, sorry, It was not meant to be any of those things. I meant it totally light-heartedly. It won't happen again.

Now I feel terrible, I really didn't mean it as anything but humor referring to the video. Was it the emoticons? I figured if they were there, it was ok. If not, then I don't know what, so I will just totally refrain from trying to be funny.

To me, it's now obvious that the humor is misunderstood from both of your comments and lost in translation between my laughing brain and the screen, otherwise the post would have gotten likes, Hahas and LOL's. Which was my hope. So I profusely apologize and will not try to translate my sense of humor to the screen again.

Edited by Bakerman, 26 November 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#53 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 317 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

Ok, sorry, It was not meant to be any of those things. I meant it totally light-heartedly. It won't happen again.

Now I feel terrible, I really didn't mean it as anything but humor referring to the video. Was it the emoticons? I figured if they were there, it was ok. If not, then I don't know what, so I will just totally refrain from trying to be funny.

To me, it's now obvious that the humor is misunderstood from both of your comments and lost in translation between my laughing brain and the screen, otherwise the post would have gotten likes, Hahas and LOL's. Which was my hope. So I profusely apologize and will not try to translate my sense of humor to the screen again.

No harm no foul, its all good, I didn't take offense to it one bit.  Now back to the games!!

Edited by btbfilms76, 30 November 2015 - 10:25 PM.

• Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#54 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 317 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

Ruiner Pinball with Mike Kennedy

• Justin, The Professor, Video 61 and 5 others like this

#55 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

I need to get a clear Jag shell, those look really, really cool.

• The Professor, atarilbc and btbfilms76 like this

#56 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:30 AM

Another great episode. I've always found it strange that the Jaguar has two pinball games in its realitvely limited library. The tables in Ruiner are more fantastical and have cool themes. Pinball Fantasies is more traditional - almost a simulator - but it has more tables. Both are pretty good for video pinball.
  • Justin, The Professor, btbfilms76 and 1 other like this

#57 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 317 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:58 AM

Another great episode. I've always found it strange that the Jaguar has two pinball games in its realitvely limited library. The tables in Ruiner are more fantastical and have cool themes. Pinball Fantasies is more traditional - almost a simulator - but it has more tables. Both are pretty good for video pinball.

It is strange, I picked these up at that event Mike and I met at, and the thing is I don't even remember seeing these on the shelf back when I was buying games for the Jag in its prime.  There were only two places I was able to buy Jaguar games back in the mid 90's - Babbage's and Toys R Us.  Both stores took pride in the fact they stocked Jaguar games - and they priced them way higher then any other games on the shelf. I remember paying well over $70 for some titles, and Im in California… I remember the great TG-16 pinball games very well, but not Ruiner and Fantasies, I'm glad I have them now.

• Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#58 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Pretzel Member

• 317 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Christmas came early at the Jag Bar, Gunner Wright, Mr. Issac Clarke from Dead Space fame stopped by the bar for some Super Burnout.

• Justin, The Professor, Video 61 and 5 others like this

#59 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

The effort you put into these episodes is amazing. Awesome guests, insightful commentary, you dress the part and create the vibe. I feel like I'm watching Top Gear for gaming. It doesn't get better than this.  :martini:  :100:

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Yo-Yo and 2 others like this

#60 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

Thoughts: Had Atari been serious about relaunching the Jaguar or the Jag Duo in the mid-'90s they should have considered Super Burnout as a pack-in title. A well-done game with mass appeal.

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Yo-Yo and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users