THE BLACK HOLE - The Retroist Podcast

The Professor

post-7-0-02411700-1434299826_thumb.jpg

One of our favorite podcasts has a new episode online! This week's episode is about The Black Hole, Walt Disney's 1979 American science fiction film directed by Gary Nelson, starring Anthony Perkins, Robert Forster, Ernest Borgnine, Roddy McDowall, and Slim Pickens. The Retroist is a fantastic podcast, and it's long-been a personal favorite among the Mods here at the site for many years. I hope you'll find the time this weekend to maybe put on a great game, tune in and listen to this great podcast. Maybe it'll become a weekend routine!

Listen to the Retroist Podcast here:

https://ia801500.us.archive.org/5/items/retroistblackhole/Retroist-188-The-Black-Hole.mp3

You can also search iTunes for Retroist Podcast, or visit The Retroist here:

http://www.retroist.com/2015/06/13/retroist-podcast-the-black-hole/

Here's what The Retroist had to say about the episode:

Retroist Podcast – Episode 188 – Walt Disney's The Black Hole

On this episode I talk all about Disney’s late seventies science fiction classic, “The Black Hole”. I start off by talking about how films like “The Black Hole” played an important part in my discovery of the entertainment that shaped my “tastes”. Then I get into the film. I talk about the stars of the film, the plot, the production, the robots, the special FX and much more. It is my sincere hope that you will check out this wonderful film either before or after listening to the podcast. It really is a fun and interesting movie.

Does anyone remember that Space Mountain at Disneyland had a lot of sound clips and the general vibe of "The Black Hole" back in the early 80's?  The queue used to have foreboding radio chatter and sounds instead of the more upbeat videos and humor they have now. 

I haven't been to Disneyland but I did get to visit Disney World while Epcot Center was being built.  I have to admit I remember an indoor coaster ride that was really dark but I'm not sure if it was Space Mountain.  I agree that it took on the appearance of the Black Hole in a lot of ways.  It was fun!  Go figure, though, a 7 year old didn't get sick while the "adult" lost everything.  My Mom's then-boyfriend got sick after the ride.  Haha.  I also remember that morning having the biggest donut I had ever seen.

I haven't been to Disneyland but I did get to visit Disney World while Epcot Center was being built.  I have to admit I remember an indoor coaster ride that was really dark but I'm not sure if it was Space Mountain.  I agree that it took on the appearance of the Black Hole in a lot of ways.  It was fun! 

Sounds like a fun time to visit WDW! Yes, it's most likely the dark ride you're thinking of was Space Mountain :) 

Sadly, that was so long ago that I only remember bits and pieces.  I don't remember everything we did.  I remember Mom complaining about the price of eats there and that dark coaster ride...I don't remember much of anything else about the place.  I do remember seeing Epcot from the outside before all of it was completed.  You could still see the skeleton structure in areas but it was still cool to see.

Archived