Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

From The Blog: Happy Birthday EPCOT Center!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

From The Blog: http://www.atari.io/...y-epcot-center/

October 1st marks the Anniversary of EPCOT Center's opening at Walt Disney World in Florida. For me, EPCOT always symbolized that ambitious optimistic future so closely in tune with the future as envisioned by Atari in the early 1980s. Today on the Blog we take a look back at EPCOT Center, and the hope it inspired so many years ago.

EPCOT_DISNEY.jpg

• MaximumRD, RickR and Arenafoot like this

#2 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

That definitely looks like a theme park designed by Atari in the 80s. It would be cool to see Atari have a theme park back then, that would have been a lot of fun  :lol:

• MaximumRD and greenween like this

#3 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,181 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

I lived outside of Orlando in the late 80s/early 90's and could see Epcot. Never went though. I did see the space shuttle a couple times. Oh, and they did a live countdown on the radio for Ted Bundy's execution, that was pretty awesome. 88 maybe?

• MaximumRD and Fire_In_The_Valley like this

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

#4 Fire_In_The_Valley

Fire_In_The_Valley

Orange Member

• 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

Technology? Science? Tomorrow? I want to go to there.

• MaximumRD likes this

#5 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 997 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

I love that footage of Horizons. Wonderful ride. Sadly gone now, along with The Seas, Wonders of Life, and Universe of Energy.
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#6 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 997 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:07 AM

Reminds me greatly of the vision of the future that was on display at the 1964 New York World's fair. Optimistic. Clean. Efficient. Technology was going to make EVERYTHING better. Alas, why are we not living in that "Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow"?

Edited by LeeJ07, 21 May 2015 - 12:09 AM.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#7 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,249 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

I went in 1983.... it was awesome! Been back 6/01, 12/01, 11/03, 12/13

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users