Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

My Favorite Atari Arcade Game

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,112 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

Someday, whenever I win the lottery, I'll have one. 

starwarsArcade_SitDownCabinet.jpg

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 7 others like this

#2 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,168 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

good luck

• Yo-Yo likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,709 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

That sit down cabinet Star Wars is soooooo cool!  Made you totally feel like you were in an X-Wing!

I think my "lottery" splurge would be a Tron machine, in all it's black-light glory!  It's hard to find a good image that does it justice...but this cabinet in a dark room.....oh baby!  It's not Atari, I know. 

tron_002.jpg

Edited by RickR, 28 July 2015 - 08:17 PM.

• The Professor, greenween, Yo-Yo and 1 other like this

#4 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,168 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

I'd go for this one: 

discs_of_tron_environmental.jpg

• The Professor, Yo-Yo and Keatah like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#5 AtariBrian

AtariBrian

Orange Member

• 282 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

I just want a simple millipede machine, but they keep eluding me.  

• RickR and Yo-Yo like this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,709 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

I just want a simple millipede machine, but they keep eluding me.  

Oh man, that's a good choice too. 

I also like the mini-cab version of Missile Command.  I was thinking when I made my MAME cabinet, I'd use that Atari mini-cab as the model/inspiration. 

• Justin, Yo-Yo and AtariBrian like this

#7 VectorGamer

VectorGamer

BANNED

• Banned
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

If I win the lottery why would I get only one machine? I would get Asteroids, Space Fury, Space Encounters, Death Race, Tron, Discs of Tron and Gorf.

Until then I'll have to settle for the MAME cab I made from Computer Space.
  • RickR, Yo-Yo, StormSurge and 1 other like this
! THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari....trocade/?p=7683

#8 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

oooh, you know what the first one to get any of these also gets?

A free(loading) roomie!

Me!

I'll be waiting near my Pac-Man tabletop.

• RickR, Yo-Yo, AtariBrian and 1 other like this

#9 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,112 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

Obviously, if I won the lottery, I wouldn't stop at one. Ever since I saw my first episode of Silver Spoons, I've always wanted some cabinets in my house. Someday, someday...

• greenween, Yo-Yo and Clint Thompson like this

#10 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 558 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

I would be happy with a pair of Virtuality SU1000s... :D

su1000.jpg

• The Professor, RickR, Yo-Yo and 2 others like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#11 Dan Iacovelli

Dan Iacovelli

Pretzel Member

• 413 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

tempest for me

• The Professor, RickR, fergojisan and 1 other like this

AVC Online: avc.atari-users.net

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

#12 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,709 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:55 PM

Tempest is also a great choice!  Any vector game really, since those aren't quite the same in MAME. 

• The Professor and Yo-Yo like this

#13 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 558 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:56 PM

Now that you mention it Dan, I would love to have a custom made Tempest 2000 cabinet made. Always thought I would get around to making one but I don't have any of the time, space or skill for such an adventure.

• The Professor and Yo-Yo like this

cerka.weebly.com

#14 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,031 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:59 PM

Now that you mention it Dan, I would love to have a custom made Tempest 2000 cabinet made. Always thought I would get around to making one but I don't have any of the time, space or skill for such an adventure.

Here you go! http://forums.atari....arcade-cabinet/

• Yo-Yo and Clint Thompson like this

#15 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 558 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:41 PM

I just did a local search and found a Tempest machine in great condition for $1k. No room to put it anywhere and don't exactly have just a grand to burn frivolously... ugh.

• Yo-Yo likes this

cerka.weebly.com

#16 Retrogamer81081

Retrogamer81081

Apple Member

• 562 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

Missle Command without question! The Game Over screen is the most iconic and really groundbreaking for 1980-1981. Love the flashing screen of the last blown up city with flashing colors and "THE END".

Edited by Retrogamer81081, 07 October 2015 - 07:20 AM.

• Yo-Yo, AtariBrian and StormSurge like this

#17 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,597 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

Sticking with Atari arcade games that I've actually played in the wild, I would go with Star Wars too.

However since that was already called for, I will also give three others I enjoyed as a kid. 

As some of you know, I didn't play a lot of arcades until the mid to late 80's.

By then, most of the classic games were either gone or hidden in a back corner where they mostly went unnoticed.

Also, several of these games may not have aged well, but at the time I thought they were the bee's knees.

#3) Pit-Fighter: At the time of it's release, the big digitized characters were a sight to behold and the simple controls made it easy to get into. And who didn't like being fork lifted over a pile of cash at the end?

ATARI_-_PIT-FIGHTER_1990.jpg

#2) Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom: The movie was a big deal among kids and the game gave us a chance to enter the same world thanks to decent graphics, digitized voices, mine car rides and off course your trusty whip.

indy.jpg

#1) Hard Drivin' (Sit down version of course!): Probably the first sit down game I played and I remember it costing more, probably 50 cents per play, but it was worth it. It split off into two tracks: A speed course and stunt course. But really, it was all about stunt track with the massive loop de loop. And don't forget to hit the cow to make it moo! 

17532b98384e3d59f1a19ccee7bfa18d.jpg

• Justin, The Professor, Greyfox and 4 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#18 Retrogamer81081

Retrogamer81081

Apple Member

• 562 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:23 AM

Sticking with Atari arcade games that I've actually played in the wild, I would go with Star Wars too.

However since that was already called for, I will also give three others I enjoyed as a kid.
As some of you know, I didn't play a lot of arcades until the mid to late 80's.
By then, most of the classic games were either gone or hidden in a back corner where they mostly went unnoticed.
Also, several of these games may not have aged well, but at the time I thought they were the bee's knees.

#3) Pit-Fighter: At the time of it's release, the big digitized characters were a sight to behold and the simple controls made it easy to get into. And who didn't like being fork lifted over a pile of cash at the end?
attachicon.gifATARI_-_PIT-FIGHTER_1990.jpg

#2) Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom: The movie was a big deal among kids and the game gave us a chance to enter the same world thanks to decent graphics, digitized voices, mine car rides and off course your trusty whip.
attachicon.gifindy.jpg

#1) Hard Drivin' (Sit down version of course!): Probably the first sit down game I played and I remember it costing more, probably 50 cents per play, but it was worth it. It split off into two tracks: A speed course and stunt course. But really, it was all about stunt track with the massive loop de loop. And don't forget to hit the cow to make it moo!
attachicon.gif17532b98384e3d59f1a19ccee7bfa18d.jpg

Awesome!! I commented on a post in regards to your favorite arcade game and for me it was Race Drivin which came out in 1990. It has the Hard Drivin course plus an Autocross track to practice your turning precision and the Super Stunt Track which features a mountain road, a big jump, loop with the gap to crossover, steep bank curves, a huge ramp, and a tunnel. And you can choose 4 vehicles including a roadster which resembles a Shelby Cobra plus my favorite. The Speedster. Yellow with the flame design. I remember that they were 50 cents which is a lot. Now they are like a buck for the new ones.

Edited by Retrogamer81081, 12 October 2015 - 05:25 AM.

• The Professor and nosweargamer like this

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

Friend of mine 'recently poured his life savings into turning his dream of having a proper Retro Arcade, into a reality (www/timewarparcade.co.uk)

1 of the 1st coin-ops he knew he had to have was Star wars.

Vids give you an idea of the place.

• Justin, Greyfox, StormSurge and 1 other like this

#20 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,112 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

Wow, that is very impressive! So cool!

• Lost Dragon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users