Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The worst system to code for...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 623 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

Found this online today and even though it's a small tidbit, it does make a lot of sense:

"You've coded on a lot of different systems. Which ones did you think were the worst and best, in terms of hardware implementation, development environment, manufacturer tech support (for developers)....?

Rebecca Heineman: The worst had to be the Atari Jaguar. Forcing everyone to use an Atari Falcon as a dev system and expecting us to use bug ridden and barely working compilers and other tools, it was a miracle any game was completed on that system. Best? The Apple II in it's simplicity. I loved programming the Apple II and then the IIgs, although the IIgs was really slow without an accelerator (Which was likely a marketing decision to force people to buy Macintosh computers). Dev environment? CodeWarrior! I wrote so many plug ins to allow me to use numerous scripting tools, it's a shame it's all but abandoned today, and at least Visual Studio is in a state today that it's my IDE of choice. Tech support? It was 3DO, they did everything they could including sending me at their expense to get training on making code on their platform and going out of their way to make sure I got my games out the door. Pity, their business model wasn't sustainable."

Truth be told, the idea of coding and/or completely developing on the Falcon does seems kind of insane, especially considering the extremely limited software available for the Falcon at the time... nevermind the fact that they just completely dropped it only after a year anyway. I completely understand what Atari was trying to do or ultimately wanted to do... create an eco-system where the Falcon was necessary to create games for the Jaguar on and push sales of their computers with hope that software would flourish and soon follow. Obviously there were a ton of other issues preventing that vision from materializing.

That same year the Pentium was released, software options alone would quickly overule any chance of using the Falcon as a standalone development workstation viable, nevermind the obvious speed difference the Pentium chips offered.

Edited by Clint Thompson, 06 August 2015 - 05:57 PM.

• The Professor, RickR, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

I read before that one thing that gave the Commodore such a leg up in 3rd party software was their active involvement in working with these developers.

Great post!

• The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,280 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

I read before that one thing that gave the Commodore such a leg up in 3rd party software was their active involvement in working with these developers.
Great post!

Same with Sony and the PS1. One of the main reasons they crushed the Saturn.
  • The Professor, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

Great post!

Makes you wonder why Tramiel didn't do the same at Atari.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#5 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Does anyone know what she worked on for the Jaguar? A Jag credit doesn't appear on her site, wiki or the Giant List of Classic Game Programmers (entry under her birth name, Bill Heineman). Maybe she was involved in Wolf 3D or Doom, given her association with the 3DO ports? Or it could have been some involvement with one of the abandoned titles.

Also, as I understand it, development systems could use an IBM pc or Atari TT030s (though some folks undoubtedly used the Falcon).

I do agree that creating a user friendly development environment is critical to 3rd party support and was a major barrier for jaguar software development.

Edited by atarilbc, 09 August 2015 - 08:37 PM.

• The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:09 PM

Over the years i've read and had coders themselves chat over email over just which consoles were the best/worst they worked on and why.

People like I.D's Dave Taylor did not hold back with regards to how they viewed the Jaguar, but then i look at later systems like the Saturn and people struggled to get heads around why the system used Quads when everyone was using Polygons, but then others would say you did'nt get the texture warpong you had on PS1, canned Saturn version of Dungeon Keeper said hardware was rather well suited to the conversion etc etc, so there's no 1 set viewpoint.

The PS1 is often seen as the easiest of it's generation to code for, Sony's development tools fantastic compared to Sega's (and claims Sega kept best tools for in house development, Capcom in particular did'nt think they could get the same results from Saturn for 3D as Sega themselves could) but at expense of being limited by hardware restricting you to set tool sets, yet others claim they were coding 'direct to the metal' on PS1 and getting far better results using custom tools than Sonys supplied...

I think it often boils down to the simple fact that in cases like Saturn, PS2, PS3, Jaguar etc, you really had to expect to put the effort in, code for the system, rather than best-fit code from another system, use hardware as it was intended, juggle demmands on limited Ram etc, then you'd see what hardware was capable of.

But all this took extra time and money and if the system was failing at retail, you simply were'nt going to invest these resources, were you?.

Hence so many canned games on Jaguar (+Saturn, such as TR2, Medievil, which started out as a Saturn project, ditto Core Design's Ninja etc.

But it's also unfair i personally think, to go with viewpoint that Saturn, Jaguar etc were'nt pushed as far as they could of gone.

You might of squeezed out slightly higher frame rates, few more polys persecond etc, minimal differences, but things like Skyhammer, Battlesphere, Iron Solider 2 CD were best Jaguar was going to see 3D wise (2D totally different matter) and Sonic R pushed Saturn, Burning Rangers too much, i'd of prefered that as a DC Launch game.

• RickR and atarilbc like this

#7 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:03 PM

@Lost Dragon:  I tend to agree with your assessment.  However, I don't think that its unreasonable to suggest that the Jaguar wasn't pushed as far as it could have been.  In my view, this is simply because of its short commercial lifespan.  We really got 2.5 years of development.  Only a handful of developers did more than one title: ATD, Eclipse, Rebellion, Llamasoft, and id.  These devs could learn from the stumbles of their early efforts to get more out of their second games (except in the case of id where Wolf3D was a phone-in).  Further, I believe that only Eclipse and ATD had the same teams work on two titles: IS2 and Battlemorph, respectively.  Compared this to Saturn, released in '94 in Japan and continued to be supported through '98 in NA and '00 in Japan.  As such, devs used learned techniques to really push the software in later games - in many cases beyond what was accomplished on PSX.  Veteran teams were able to get 3 or 4 titles out in its lifecycle.

Additionally, Atari  didn't have the benefit of strong first party in-house development like Sega with Sonic Team, Team Andromeda and AM2.  These teams were critical to Sega's quality (stunning) first party output.  Compare this to the mostly inexperience (re:CHEAP) contractors that Atari hired for most Jaguar development. 

Edited by atarilbc, 12 October 2015 - 10:14 PM.

• DeLorean, RickR, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:40 AM

:-) I'm not a coder, so i can only go on comments made by those who worked on the hardware and from what i've read so far, i get the general impression that likes of:Rebellion, pretty much took Jaguar as far as they could go with Skyhammer....

ATD just wanted to finish contractual obligations and catch up with the market on PS1 development and Battlemorph was really the best you were going to see from them.

I.D? well Carmack+Taylor have expressed their views, Carmack, i'm sure if he went back and re-wrote Jaguar Doom code, could have game running in higher resolution mode than it did and get a faster frame rate from it.But it's a huge leap to assume even a cut down version of Quake was possible.

(Lee)  WTR has been quoted as saying he had a better engine in the works for a planned Jaguar racing game, so again there i'd of expected better frame rates etc.

Hoverstrike SE CD which i believe was coded for GPU etc had an extra 3-5 frames per second squeezed out of the hardware.

So my personal viewpoint is whilst i'm sure there were areas of improvement in 3D still to be made, you were'nt going to be able to do what Atari had wanted and that was to compete again'st PS1/Saturn in terms of texture-mapped 3D games.

Hardware simply was'nt designed for that, it was more intended to take on the 3DO/CD32 and DSP based 3D games on SNES/MD

Concerns were raised early on by the limited Ram (but more would of pushed price up and that crippled the 3DO) as would of putting extra chips on cartridge or adding extra hardware to the CD Unit.

I'd of loved to have seen more games converted that the Jaguar hardware really was suited for, things like D.I.D's Inferno, TFX etc or Lucasarts bring X-Wing/Tie-Fighter to it.

Or something along the lines of an updated Hunter or Midwinter or Starglider 2 from the ST era, but trying to fully texture-map games like Supercross, when Atari themselves knew it'd cripple the frame rate, just smacked of Atari's desperation to stay in the limelight.

Sadly as 2D was seen as 'old hat' we never really got to see the Jaguar shine here either :-(.

A take on Turrican would of been superb and filled a massive whole in the Jag's line up, but again i question just who Atari would have found to develop it, what limits on cart size etc they'd of imposed. 

I think the Jaguar (and CD32, 3DO etc) simply found themselves victims of a then rapidly changing market.My MD and MCd were by then really showing their age (MD soundchip could'nt handle the samples in SF2 etc, lack of colours made for poor FMV etc) so i was ready to move on, yet many were content to hold out and see just how Saturn+PS1 turned out and before Atari knew it, they were competing in a world where press alone was only concerned with how many texture-mapped polys your system could shift and with what fancy lighting effects etc.

It was in part a very shallow era.

I'm also firmly in the camp that Atari was right to scrap The Panther console as it, like the Konix Multisystem, whilst sounding fantastic on paper, would not of delivered on the hype had it become a reality.

It seemed starved of the Ram it so badly needed, Atari rumoured to be replacing the soundchip with a cheaper version etc.

And developers were NOT chomping at the bit to develop for it.

Mev Dinc (Hammerfist etc) was offered a chance, refused due to Atari's poor track record...

I've spoken to coders/MD's etc from likes of:

Argonaugt, Core Design, Audiogenic, Gremlin Graphics, Bitmap Bros, Domark, Ocean, US Gold etc etc

People never heard of it, no plans...titles they'd released on Lynx had bombed etc etc.Publishers simply very wary of Atari.

What could of been done with Jaguar though, is a debate i welcome.

I so wanted Dactyl Joust, Legions Of The Undead, Freelancer (though that seems to be based on mock up screens), Black Ice/White Noise, but Atari simply seemed content just to get titles out, with little/no concern for consumer and that often makes the system 1 hard to defend.

• RickR likes this

#9 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:05 AM

Well, even if we did see the best the jag could do with 3D in merely it's second generation of games, they were good games and more of a similar quality would only have been a good thing. No, it wasn't going to compete with the Saturn, PS1 or N64, but i do think it could handle most of what the 3DO had in regards to 3D, even if it lacked the 1 meg of video ram and built-in texturing. I also don't know that the 3DO ever saw it's limits reached and maybe would have still out shined the Jag if both had made it to 3rd or 4th gen titles from good developers, but I'm sure the jag could handle good version of most of what was released on the 3DO up to that point, if it had the backing and the top programmers to do the job. The 3DO used lots of tricks to hide weaknesses and make you think some games were doing more than they really were. the Jag CD would have allowed similar tricks if it had ever really been used to it's potential (that is, the Jaguar with CD format really being used, I know the Jag CD didn't bring more power to the Jag, just a format that could allow it to overcome some limitations of the cartridge format)

I was also really looking forward to Dactyl Joust, LOTU, Freelancer, Black/Ice White/noise. And at least with BI/WN Alpha/Betas we see a glimmer of the Jag using the potential of CD.

And the Jag and 3DO would probably have lasted longer or even been successful if it was just Sega's Saturn as the next big thing, since it was so hard to program too. The Juggernaut of Sony getting into the arena was the real demise of the other systems. The N64 was still another year away, and by then, we would have probably had the 3DO M2 and Jaguar 2 to compete with it, as well as 3rd and 4th gen games on the 3DO and Jag, both at lower price-points.

Sony changed the entire industry and it took another Juggernaut in Microsoft to compete. Even Nintendo had to find their niche market to stay around with the Wii, though they were big enough to survive with the N64 and Gamecube to that point. And of course nintendo was making money hand-over-fist with their other markets such as Pokemon, and the hand-held gaming market.

Edited by Bakerman, 19 November 2015 - 12:15 AM.

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

Since my last post in this thread, i'd had a reply back from John Edelson, manager for a time at Argonaut, he was kind enough to share the fact that Jez San really was'nt a fan of the 3DO development enviroment, with it being Mac based, so i'm sure the more coders that are spoken to, the better the overal picture will be of how liked working on what platforms and for what reasons.

I'm currently trying to get as many views from coders with regards to the rigid nature of working on the PS1 (though some worked around the O/S to great effect) and then their feelings on moving to the PS2 which was a nightmare, but offered more freedom.

I remember reading a preview of NFS on 3DO with claims the team had used numerous tricks/work arounds on 3DO (streaming assests off CD etc) to include more trackside detail, have a better draw distance etc.

I'm sure new techniques, better coding etc would of seen further improvements to Jaguar games in specific areas, but the machine did'nt have the 'legs' from a commercial stand point for these to be found.

I've heard mixed claims regarding Jaguar 2...think it was WTR coder Lee Briggs who was reported as saying he'd seen the design documents and the hardware really would'nt of been anything special compared to platforms due around the same time (3DO M2 i assume?) so we could of had yet another in-between generation with Jaguar MK 2 and 3DO offering more than N64, PS1+Saturn, but in turn would be dwarfed by DC, Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox......

Sony were THE GAME CHANGERS and that shook the industry, by time PS2 hit, MS were thinking that if they did'nt do something, Sony really would of captured the living room and PS2 onwards woyuld see Sony having the black box under the TV that delivered all your film/TV/Gaming etc needs.

• Bakerman likes this

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

Now, as we all know, i'm so far from being a coder and most of the tech-head stuff is way beyond my understanding, i simply go off interviews with coders, either in mainstream press or those i've cough..'conducted' myself...but my limited understanding is this:

Whilst i can understand Atari wanting to have a chip in the hardware that was familar to those coming from coding on the ST/Amiga/Mega Drive,along with keeping costs down, it was something of a mistake as coders took the easy way out, wrote to it, instead of putting in more resources into writing optimised code for the RISC chips and likes of John Carmac felt a better soultion would of been for Atari to ditch the 68000 and instead thrown in another RISC Chip and a dynamic cache and had that as the CPU......

I've always been somewhat puzzled by the reality of what was actually achived by commercial coders who did use the GPU, rather than the CPU for the heavy lifting.....

A rewrite of Doom then would have seen game run in higher resolution, faster frame rate, more lighting?

Rebellion claimed Checkered Flag 2 was recoded from inital preview footage to use the GPU and thus frame rate was improved (so what it must have been like before, yowza.....)

Hoverstrike U.C on Jag CD used GPU and thus had cleaner textures, but by coders own claims only a 3-5 frames per second increase on frame rate.....

Lee Briggs used the GPU for WTR and there was a further game in the works using a further optimised version of the engine, with a better frame rate......

And similar with Super Burnout coder, using further optimised version of engine this time for a 2D shooter, stacks of sprites on-screen etc......

So, my thinking is:

Coders who put the time in, could of produced some bloody amazing 2D games on the Jaguar, IF they wrote to the GPU as intended, dream of mine would of been Minter doing Llamatron 2000....

3D games really should of used GPU from the off, but even then we should'nt of expected much beyond say Hoverstrike:UC...say early PS1 level 3D at best? (which is no mean feat given hardware differences and thus not to be sniffed at)......

As i understand it, ex-Amiga/ST coders like Minter loved the hardware as he could do strange things with the chipsets, for him hardware was laid out in a straightforward manner, you did'nt have to code for it in some obscure coding language and the system was damn fast....

I struggle to use things like High Voltage's very impressive rolling footage of Dactyl Joust as a 'ral' benchmark, as game had very limited A.I routines, sound FX etc which would probably of impacted in terms of performance elsewhere...

So other than titles already mentioned, which commercial games did make good use of the GPU? and what sort of performance gains did we see as a result?.

#12 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Found a few more examples myself:

Rebellion used GPU thus in AVP:

'... we did most of the game coding in C on the 68000, and all the graphics in Assembler on the GPU and Blitter. The Blitter was fast, but it took quite a while to set up all the registers so for short runs of pixels it was often quicker to write them directly to the screen buffer.'

Carlo Perconti (Conan):

'we were impressed by the concept of the GPU Jaguar, an unique list

processor which could allow huge sprites to be drawn on screen and which

broke the limitation of number of hardware sprites on 1 video line like

We used to have back then on the SNES. So at first We decided to develop

a new graphic engine based on multiple layer of sprites on PC, then

through Arcade Zone We got access to one of the Jaguar Hardware and then

We started to port the beginning of a “first possible” level '

Edited by Lost Dragon, 26 November 2015 - 05:35 PM.

#13 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

Another World:

The game engine has been rewritten especially for the Atari Jaguar and makes intensive use of the several processors of the console to:

render polygons (GPU, Blitter),

decompress data on-the-fly (GPU),

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:15 AM

With huge thanks to Shinto for bringing this interview to my attention, Trevor Raynsford (Imagitec) talking of reality of Jaguar hardware and how it impacted game development:

"....For the Jaguar, Atari gave developers some nifty DSP code for playing samples with effects like flanging. It was easy to port 68000 based mod player code to the Jag and use the DSP for the PVM part.  It sounded great.  Only problem was, it didn't work in a game!  By default, the display hardware had a higher bus priority, which meant, even with the huge bus bandwidth and fast chips, in Humans the sound was trashed every time the player moved.  Raiden just sounded awful!  We tried setting the DSP to have a higher bus priority, the graphics got trashed instead.  (I think the bus priority mechanism was broken.)  I spent 20 minutes on the phone to one of the Tramiel brothers trying to explain there was a problem.  In the end I abandoned the DSP code and wrote a new version which did the bare minimum PVM and importantly played the next sample at the top of the timer initiated loop to ensure accurate timing."

Jaguar sounds very much like Sega Saturn, N64, 3DO, PS2 etc..fantastic specs given to developers, who soon realise they aren't going to be able to pull off what they expected due to very real hardware limitations and thus ideas abandoned, work arounds sought.

http://freejag.atari...iok0&topic=51.0

#15 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 623 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

With huge thanks to Shinto for bringing this interview to my attention, Trevor Raynsford (Imagitec) talking of reality of Jaguar hardware and how it impacted game development:

"....For the Jaguar, Atari gave developers some nifty DSP code for playing samples with effects like flanging. It was easy to port 68000 based mod player code to the Jag and use the DSP for the PVM part.  It sounded great.  Only problem was, it didn't work in a game!  By default, the display hardware had a higher bus priority, which meant, even with the huge bus bandwidth and fast chips, in Humans the sound was trashed every time the player moved.  Raiden just sounded awful!  We tried setting the DSP to have a higher bus priority, the graphics got trashed instead.  (I think the bus priority mechanism was broken.)  I spent 20 minutes on the phone to one of the Tramiel brothers trying to explain there was a problem.  In the end I abandoned the DSP code and wrote a new version which did the bare minimum PVM and importantly played the next sample at the top of the timer initiated loop to ensure accurate timing."

Jaguar sounds very much like Sega Saturn, N64, 3DO, PS2 etc..fantastic specs given to developers, who soon realise they aren't going to be able to pull off what they expected due to very real hardware limitations and thus ideas abandoned, work arounds sought.

http://freejag.atari...iok0&topic=51.0

Interesting to read. Hardware limitations due to bugs and underdeveloped development systems must be the absolute worst. Being promised a laundry list of features that work solo or independently only to find that all your work is a waste of time and you'll have to come up with some clever work-around does seem frustrating. Still seems like the 68000 was being used for far more than it was supposed to.

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#16 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

As nothing but a gamer, i love reading interviews like 1 featured with Trevor, where the very people who worked on the hardware that ended up under my TV, are 100% open about how the hardware actually worked out, compared to what the Engineers had promised them and how they found solutions over time or why they had to abandon concepts they had planned for games.

There's also the internal battle for resources amongst the coding team, the artist wants more share of the Ram allocation for animation, high res backgrounds etc, the musician wants to use more channels, have higher quality samples, the coder is going like woah, i need CPU time for......... etc etc and then comes the news your going to have to fit everything into a cartridge far smaller than planned and no, they won't fund it using a Pokey chip (7800), SFX (SNES) or have battery back up...

With the Jaguar hardware, the 1 issue that appears to turn up time and time again, is issue of just how quickly the DSP appeared to be maxed out, whilst to a non-tech head like myself, on paper it seemed very flexible, it seems to have had likes of ATD with Cybermorph, I.D with Doom and Duranik wiuth Native, the DSP was so tied up doing other tasks (uncompressing visual data), you didn't have the free cycles avaiable to run music in-game or assist with texture-mapping as you'd hoped and on top of that, you found the system lacked enough Ram etc.

Marketing are only ever interested in flashy visuals, so little wonder the poor devils doing music and sound FX often had the harder job....

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

http://www.duranik.c...ar_history.html

Some very interesting comments here regarding how price of development kits put them out of reach of a lot of folks and the very creative work around..just mod it so you can use an ST.....

To the amount of Ram Falcon development kits had compared to Jaguar (14 Mb)

And again just why the DSP found itself streched to breaking point.

Also the talk of coding (initally) to the 68000, simply because it was such a well known chip used by Genesis, ST, Amiga coders etc.

I know Atari wanted to give coders something familar to begin coding on, but process seems to of been you either code for 68000 initally then offset tasks to GPU and improve frame rate, draw distance etc as you go along (which is way i assume hardware was meant to be used?) but this adds a lot of development time to your project...

Or you treated Jaguar like a stop-gap until newer, more powerful systems from Sony, Sega+Nintendo arrived and thus just ported over existing 68000 code for a best fit solution, maybe used 256 colours etc.

• Clint Thompson likes this

#18 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

If we are going for collected developer comments..

http://itscoolfromsa...erview.html?m=1
  • atarilbc likes this

#19 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

If we are going for collected developer comments..
http://itscoolfromsa...erview.html?m=1

And Super Burnout is a standout title. For me, the best bit here:

"A common attitude that pervades the internet is that the Atari Jaguar is a broken down machine that lacks the technical capacity to produce games of any quality. This is untrue according to Nallet. “Even if we had to code everything in Assembly (code), the ‘Graphics Processing Unit’ and Digital Sound Processor were extremely fast. This was very similar to the PowerPC / SPUs combinations that you find in the PS3.” However; unlike the PS3; “(in regards to the) Jaguar DSP’s they could directly access the whole memory - albeit more slowly - so you could keep your code structure and Direct Memory Access optimized as needed.”

“A lot of games were only using the 68K and a little of the "GPU" and used the DSP for sound” according to Nallet; lending credence to the notion that it was developer incompetence and not hardware concessions that made development for the Jaguar difficult. “I knew I had to push the GPU and DSP for Super BurnOut to stand out.”
  • Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#20 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

I personally feel it's unfair to class the Jaguar as a 'broken' machine, it's more akin to the Sega Saturn (another often unfairly treated platform) in that in had a somewhat rocky development path...Atari in effect having 2 'Super Consoles' in R+D with Jaguar development eclipsing that of Panther, so coders told to abandon all Panther work (and later Falcon work) and focus purely on Jaguar and both Jaguar and Saturn (in it's original form) were concieved as pure 2D machines, with vastly improved plain polygon 3D performance over what existing 16 bit consoles had provided with SFX Chip MK 2 and Sega's SVP Chip.

The 3DO by comparison, seems to escape the same degree of critiscm as whilst it's 2D abilities were seemingly sometimes out classed by a stock SNES, the fact it had (limited) texture mapping abilities the Jaguar lacked and thus recieved things like Need For Speed, Blade Force etc, goes a long way in it's favour.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but fact was, once the proverbial 'cat' was out of the bag and Sony made it clear it had far from abandoned the Playstation project after the deal with Nintendo went south, Atari knew they were on borrowed time with the Jaguar and whilst being amongst the 1st of the Next Generation consoles (3DO, PC-FX, CD-i, CD32, 32X etc) and cheapest, that only bought you X amount of time....

There was simply no way they could dely the Jaguar for bug testing any further, money wasn't there to buy big teams, get serious development tool support, mass advertising etc.

Atari had, what Atari had and if things went well, they could return and try and salvage Falcon and Lynx.

With regards the over use of the 68000:Mixed thoughts.

On the 1 hand, appreciate them wanting to give European coders who'd cut their teeth on ST, Amiga and MegaDrive, something familar, so coding could hit the ground running, but.....to expect them to risk delaying titles as coding moved away from 68000 to GPU, Object Processor, DSP etc when all that seemed to be needed was move code to 68000, tart up colours, resolution over ST/Amiga, maybe smoother scrolling to boot, ship it, see how titles sold, espically when so many had seen Lynx titles published bomb at retail, i could never see that happening.

Warning signs were there from very early days, likes of Caspain Software (Zero 5 on STE/Falcon) raised serious concerns over just how committed to Jaguar all these developers Atari hyped up to Press about signing on to support Jaguar, really were and how valid those concerns sadly turned out to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users