Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Retro items that don't make sense anymore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,471 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:23 AM

First, a story.

I was telling a co-worker my tale of tragedy.  I had been pulled aside in a TSA line at the airport to have my bag thoroughly searched!  It turned out they saw my digital travel alarm on the x-ray and wanted a closer look.  The agent had no idea what it was, and I had to explain it to him.  "It's a clock, and it has buttons to set it to different time zones.  I use it to wake up at the right time".  Honestly, I was stuck there for a good 30 minutes explaining it. 

Anyways, I'm telling this story, and my co-worker has the same look on his face as the TSA agent.  It then dawns on me...this guy is 20 years younger than me.  He stated very simply "why don't you just use your smart phone?"

Well crap.  There it is.  I never even thought of that!  And now I have no defensive reply.  Just "I guess you're right". 

So my fancy Seiko travel digital travel alarm that I got as a high school graduation present...has been relegated to a drawer.  Never to travel again. 

Who else has something they loved that can't be used anymore?  Like maybe a printer that you can't buy ink for anymore, or whatever.

• The Professor, StormSurge and Lost Dragon like this

#2 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,279 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

I had the same thing happen at MSY. I have an old wind-up clock and the metal detectors spotted it in my carrying on bag. They asked me to open the bag and instead of looking inside it, they swabbed the inside of the bag and use a machine that told them it was a wind-up clock. But it didn't take too long.

• RickR likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

Well, its pretty hard to imagine why people still use pagers.   I guess they are easy to pass to different employees.

• RickR likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 VectorGamer

VectorGamer

BANNED

• Banned
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Do drug dealers still use pagers? I saw that flip phones were preferred for privacy purposes.
  • Rowsdower70 likes this
! THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari....trocade/?p=7683

#5 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

Do drug dealers still use pagers? I saw that flip phones were preferred for privacy purposes.

Burners! #ThingsILearnedFromTheWire

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,471 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

I have in my collection two modems:.  A Commodore VIC-Modem (300 baud) and an Atari SX212 (1200 baud).  Curiosities now, as they will never be plugged in and used again.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#7 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 628 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

I always tend to see those pocket dictionaries and it always kind of catches me off guard because you have to think that not very long ago, we had to have these special dedicated devices just to digitally store the entire dictionary on and spellcheck whatnot. Same goes for the digital Rolodex.

"MOM! The internet is going to be down this week, have you seen the pocket dictionary? I need to check something." said no kid, ever. lol

• RickR likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#8 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

I always tend to see those pocket dictionaries and it always kind of catches me off guard because you have to think that not very long ago, we had to have these special dedicated devices just to digitally store the entire dictionary on and spellcheck whatnot. Same goes for the digital Rolodex.

"MOM! The internet is going to be down this week, have you seen the pocket dictionary? I need to check something." said no kid, ever. lol

And the little black book. Writing down someone's address & phone number? Absurd!

• RickR, Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users