Tomy Digital Diamond

RickR

I think you all know I'm a sucker for these ancient handheld games.  I just got this one on ebay in broken condition.  A little rewiring, cleaning, and some oil, and it's working again! 

This particular game is more mechanical than electronic, but it's fun!

Pictures of the one I bought, and a video from someone else:

post-41-0-24570500-1440288631_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-37829800-1440288633_thumb.jpg

You're right Justin, it seems like such a wasted opportunity. 

Cosmos!  If only they'd have released the holographic Cosmos!  A few years back, there were some auctions for framed Cosmos background holographs.  I regret not trying harder to get one. 

You know Rick, I have a roll of Cosmos holoptic cells somewhere that I've had for years and I'm having the hardest time finding them. They were the Superman ones. When they turn up I'll send you one.

Atari Cosmos is exactly what I was thinking of in terms of handhelds and tabletop games. Touch Me was good and led to Simon, but Atari had a lot of other opportunities to do something fun and always opted to focus on the VCS instead.

The Spector concept used a holographic cylinder, and the Atari handheld mock-ups would have included portable versions of Space Invaders and Breakout. They looked to be a nice start and could have been a lot of fun.

spector.JPG

AtariHandheld_InvadersBreakout.jpg

A few years back, there were some auctions for framed Cosmos background holographs.  I regret not trying harder to get one. 

If I recall correctly it was the Atari Trak-Ball developer Dan Kramer that was selling those back then.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I still have my MB Microvision and 3 game carts! The last time I tried it, it wouldn't power up  :angry2:

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I got two of them the same Christmas. One from Santa and one from my Dad's office place Christmas Party (Louisiana Power & Light). From what I recall, we returned one and got a couple of the other games for it.

Archived