Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Tomy Digital Diamond

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,280 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

I think you all know I'm a sucker for these ancient handheld games.  I just got this one on ebay in broken condition.  A little rewiring, cleaning, and some oil, and it's working again! 

This particular game is more mechanical than electronic, but it's fun!

Pictures of the one I bought, and a video from someone else:

Tomy Digital Diamond 006.JPG

Tomy Digital Diamond 008.JPG

• Justin, The Professor, MaximumRD and 5 others like this

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

That is too cool! I'm a sucker for those handhelds as well. I wish Atari had gotten more handhelds and tabletop games to market when they had the opportunity. 

• MaximumRD and RickR like this

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,280 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

You're right Justin, it seems like such a wasted opportunity. 

Cosmos!  If only they'd have released the holographic Cosmos!  A few years back, there were some auctions for framed Cosmos background holographs.  I regret not trying harder to get one. 

• Justin and MaximumRD like this

#4 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:56 AM

You know Rick, I have a roll of Cosmos holoptic cells somewhere that I've had for years and I'm having the hardest time finding them. They were the Superman ones. When they turn up I'll send you one.

Atari Cosmos is exactly what I was thinking of in terms of handhelds and tabletop games. Touch Me was good and led to Simon, but Atari had a lot of other opportunities to do something fun and always opted to focus on the VCS instead.

The Spector concept used a holographic cylinder, and the Atari handheld mock-ups would have included portable versions of Space Invaders and Breakout. They looked to be a nice start and could have been a lot of fun.

spector.JPG

AtariHandheld_InvadersBreakout.jpg

• RickR likes this

#5 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,254 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:00 AM

A few years back, there were some auctions for framed Cosmos background holographs.  I regret not trying harder to get one. 

If I recall correctly it was the Atari Trak-Ball developer Dan Kramer that was selling those back then.

• Justin likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#6 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:06 AM

The Atari handhelds remind me a lot of Microvision

Microvision-Handheld.jpg

Z0047930.jpg

• RickR and Arenafoot like this

#7 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,254 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:36 AM

I still have my MB Microvision and 3 game carts! The last time I tried it, it wouldn't power up  :angry2:

• Justin likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

I always wanted a Microvision!  I love the interchangeable games.

• Justin likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#9 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 998 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

I want a Microvision. I love handhelds.
  • The Professor likes this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#10 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,254 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:50 AM

I got two of them the same Christmas. One from Santa and one from my Dad's office place Christmas Party (Louisiana Power & Light). From what I recall, we returned one and got a couple of the other games for it.

#11 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 998 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

I still want a Microvision.
  • Arenafoot likes this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users