Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Richard Lewis for BoKu - That time box juices were marketed to adults

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:19 PM

Richard-Lewis-Boku-Drink.jpg

I have a new post at the Retroist sharing memories of Richard Lewis' commercials for BoKu in the early '90s.

BoKu was a brand of box juice released in 1990 by McCain Citrus, Inc. that was marketed to adults and presented as being more mature than children's box juices. I remember being surprised and confused at the idea of box juices for adults.“Box juices are kid territory” I thought. “Would grownups be seen drinking box juice?”

BoKu ran a big marketing blitz of television commercials that targeted adults and featured comedian Richard Lewis as BoKu's spokesman.

Richard-Lewis-Boku.jpg

The commercials were memorable, with an indignant Richard Lewis dramatically espousing the virtues of BoKu by saying things like “It’s my undeniable right as a man of the ‘90s to quench my thirst in my own way! I want a BoKu!”

Read the full story at the Retroist here: http://www.retroist....dult-box-juices

• The Professor and Rowsdower70 like this

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

PS - Richard Lewis had his own sitcom at the time, and starred alongside Jamie Lee Curtis in Anything But Love airing on ABC in the Tuesday night lineup that included Who's The Boss?, The Wonder Years, and Roseanne.

Anything But Love ran for four seasons on ABC from March 7, 1989 to June 3, 1992.

• The Professor and Rowsdower70 like this

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,357 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

Wow!  I remember neither BoKu or "Anything But Love". 

• Justin likes this

#4 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,268 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:47 AM

i don't recall these juice boxes. Were they available nation-wide? or just select markets?

• Rowsdower70 likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#5 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:00 AM

BoKu was available nationally from 1990 through 2003. The commercials with Richard Lewis ran through 1994. He ended up with an endorsement deal with Snapple in the end. My blog post goes into a lot more depth: http://www.retroist....ult-box-juices/

• MaximumRD, RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#6 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

Yeah, I distinctly remember Richard being everywhere for a short period of time, and then mostly disappearing.  

I personally thought he was fantastic as Prince John in Robin Hood : Men In Tights.

• Justin likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#7 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,161 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:57 AM

He's fantastic in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I'm having a difficult time recalling the show and the juice as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users