Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN - The Retroist Podcast

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

retroist-desperately-seeking-susan-podcast.jpg

One of our favorite podcasts has a new episode online! This week's episode is about Desperately Seeking Susan, the 1985 comedy-drama film directed by Susan Seidelman and starring Madonna and Rosanna Arquette.

Set in New York, the plot involves the interaction between two women: a bored housewife and a bohemian drifter, linked by various announcements in the personal column of a newspaper. It reflected Manhattan’s New Wave scene of the early 80’s, in which Madonna had come to prominence as a singer. This was Madonna’s first major screen role, and although billed second to Rosanna Arquette, she was regarded as the star. The New York Times named the film as one of the 10 best films of 1985.

The Retroist is a fantastic podcast, and it's long-been a personal favorite among the Mods here at the site for many years. I hope you'll find the time this weekend to maybe put on a great game, tune in and listen to this great podcast. Maybe it'll become a weekend routine!

Listen to the Retroist Podcast here:

You can also search iTunes for Retroist Podcast, or visit The Retroist here:

http://www.retroist....-seeking-susan/

Here's what The Retroist had to say about the episode:

Retroist Podcast – Episode 190 – Desperately Seeking Susan

On today’s show, I start off by talking about how mysterious and dangerous I found New York City as a kid and how my sister would risk life and limb to adventure there. Then I start talking about the subject of this episode, Desperately Seeking Susan. I talk about the people in front of and behind the camera, the stars, the plot, the locations, the novelization and much more. I am joined this week by metagirl who shares Madonna’s top 5 songs from the eighties.

• RickR and Yo-Yo like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,477 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:29 PM

I have not seen this movie.  Have never been a big fan of Madonna unfortunately. 

#3 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,279 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:02 AM

I'm a fan of Madonna (the early years) but have never seen this movie. I knew she was in it, just never got a chance to watch it.

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#4 Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:55 AM

Same here. Madonna was an icon of the 1980s and part of the times I love. I remember this movie being around but I've never seen it. I'm going to give the Retroist podcast a listen and see if it piques my interest. I've discovered a lot of good movies that way.
Welcome to the short bus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users