Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Your first game for your first game system?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Yo-Yo

Yo-Yo

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:08 AM

Not counting the pack-in game, what was the first video game you were excited to get for your first game system?

Mine was Food Fight. I played the arcade game and it was pure awesome. After too many trips to the arcade and playing it on the 7800 at a friend's house it was time for me to get a 7800 of my very own. I saved up my pennies and bought one at K&K Toys which later became Kay-Bee. I bought the 7800 which came with Pole Position 2, plus I bought Food Fight, Galaga, and Missile Command for the 2600. Food Fight was one of my favorite games even through the Nintendo craze.

• Justin, MaximumRD, RickR and 3 others like this
Welcome to the short bus.

#2 VectorGamer

VectorGamer

BANNED

• Banned
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

I got a 2600 because of Space Invaders. So that was the game we got when we bought the 2600.

• greenween and RickR like this
! THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari....trocade/?p=7683

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

Not counting Pong, we got an Intellivision.  The first game we got was Space War!  

I loved it, I felt like I was shooting Cylons. 

• RickR likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,278 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

Same as VG for me: 2600 and Space Invaders. I still love that game.

Food Fight on the 7800 is pure awesome. I agree with you there.

And Space Battle (that's what you meant, right?) is my favorite Intellivision game.
  • Rowsdower70 likes this

#5 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

Same as VG for me: 2600 and Space Invaders. I still love that game.

Food Fight on the 7800 is pure awesome. I agree with you there.

And Space Battle (that's what you meant, right?) is my favorite Intellivision game.

That is what I meant, yes! :)

• RickR likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#6 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

Not counting the pack-in game, what was the first video game you were excited to get for your first game system?

Mine was Food Fight. I played the arcade game and it was pure awesome. After too many trips to the arcade and playing it on the 7800 at a friend's house it was time for me to get a 7800 of my very own. I saved up my pennies and bought one at K&K Toys which later became Kay-Bee. I bought the 7800 which came with Pole Position 2, plus I bought Food Fight, Galaga, and Missile Command for the 2600. Food Fight was one of my favorite games even through the Nintendo craze.

Why haven't I heard you stories on the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast!?!?!

(unless I have and didn't know it was you :) )

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#7 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

Pitfall! I was super excited to find it at a garage sale after I got my 7800.

I was also really stoked to get the 7800 versions of Rampage and Double Dragon when they announced them.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

Pitfall! I was super excited to find it at a garage sale after I got my 7800.

I was also really stoked to get the 7800 versions of Rampage and Double Dragon when they announced them.

Pitfall! remains to be one of my favorite games of all time for any system.  One day we should all commit to doing a top 10 thread. ;)

• greenween, RickR and MalakZero like this

#9 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

Pitfall! remains to be one of my favorite games of all time for any system.  One day we should all commit to doing a top 10 thread. ;)

I'll do a top ten 2600 list once I review all the games I own ;)

• greenween and Rowsdower70 like this

#10 RadioPoultry

RadioPoultry

Orange Member

• 166 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

Not counting the pong system my family had when I was very young, it would be the Qix cartridge that came with the 5200 I found at Goodwill about 15 years ago. (I came late to console games.) The first game on a computer system I remember playing was Depthcharge by Elektrik Keyboard for Apple II, in the late 80s.

• RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#11 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,154 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hmm, since I'm not sure about the timeline in terms of which came first, mine would either be (all 2600), Pac Man or ET, in terms of excitement/anticipation.

• greenween and Rowsdower70 like this

#12 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,182 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

I remember saving up to buy Asteroids for the 2600. $55 and worth every penny!

• Justin, MaximumRD, RickR and 1 other like this

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

#13 VectorGamer

VectorGamer

BANNED

• Banned
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

That seems a lot for Asteroids. I remember paying $35 for Pac-Man
! THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari....trocade/?p=7683

#14 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,278 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

I remember saving up to buy Asteroids for the 2600. $55 and worth every penny!

Same here.  It was expensive -- the first 8K bank-switching game if memory serves (<-- see what I did there?)

• Justin and Rowsdower70 like this

#15 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:39 AM

if memory serves (<-- see what I did there?)

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :emoji-E420:

#16 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,254 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:43 AM

First game for my first "console" (not counting Microvision) would have been Berzerk for my Vectrex. The most excited game to get would have been Spike (along with Scramble, Cosmic Chasm, & Fortress of Narzod) that I found at Lionel Playworld for $4.99 each.

• RickR likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#17 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,154 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

I overlooked a game that I REALLY looked forward to, ever since I saw it advertised in some magazine; Fire Fighter.

I HAD to have the game & I HAD to have the poster. I wish I still had the poster.  :(

• RickR likes this

#18 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

My Atari 2600 was gifted to me along with a few less-popular titles that were on sale at the time, but turned out to be incredibly fun.

- Maze Craze: which had an AI that would chase you while you made it out of the long, blocky serpentine randomly-generated mazes. Had lotsa options.

- Night Driver: Which was a surpringly good driving simulation. Very basic graphics (obviously) but swift paddle controller action. EVERY adult relative tried it during the holiday visits and enjoyed its cleverness. Made me feel proud of my new system.

eh...something else I forget right now. I'll get back to it later, when i have more time.

Didn't get Space Invaders until a week later (the omission under the tree was less than subtly noticed from my part).

And the rest came in shortly thereafter.

And through it all, we played Combat until we just...couldn't...do it...anymore.

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and StormSurge like this

#19 AtariBrian

AtariBrian

Orange Member

• 292 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

First console was the 5200 and other than the pac man pack in, I got Kangaroo.  Before that was only the timex sinclair and Commodore 64, but those were my dad's.  I assume that is why they got me the 5200 so he could have his commodore back.

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and StormSurge like this

#20 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

My Atari 2600 was gifted to me along with a few less-popular titles that were on sale at the time, but turned out to be incredibly fun.

- Maze Craze: which had an AI that would chase you while you made it out of the long, blocky serpentine randomly-generated mazes. Had lotsa options.

- Night Driver: Which was a surpringly good driving simulation. Very basic graphics (obviously) but swift paddle controller action. EVERY adult relative tried it during the holiday visits and enjoyed its cleverness. Made me feel proud of my new system.

eh...something else I forget right now. I'll get back to it later, when i have more time.

Didn't get Space Invaders until a week later (the omission under the tree was less than subtly noticed from my part).

And the rest came in shortly thereafter.

And through it all, we played Combat until we just...couldn't...do it...anymore.

I had a friend who had Night Driver (among others).  We used to turn out all the lights, and I brought over my KISS albums and we'd crank those and play Night Driver in the dark.  

His mom enjoyed a bit of vino and slept pretty hard! ;)

• RickR, AtariBrian, Atari Adventure Square and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users