7800 Controller Options

nosweargamer

So I'm going to try something new. Since I have gone through several of the limited Atari 7800 Controller options on my YouTube show, I'd thought I would compile my findings in one simple thread.

Here they are in no particular order:

The Standard Pro Line Joystick

The CX78 aka Europad

The Edladdin Seagull 78 Adapter (let's you use Genesis controllers on 2 button 7800 games)

The Edladdin Supreme 78: All Play 4/8 (Premium, Convertible 4-way/ 8-way Joystick)

The Edladdin Super Twin 78 (Premium Twin Stick Joystick)

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

A quick photo tour of various 7800 controller options.

The Pro-Line Controller

post-41-0-25548400-1443499915_thumb.jpg

This is the controller that came with the USA 7800.  Quick review:  It's terrible.  Why?  Well, basically, hold your hand out like this for a few minutes:

post-41-0-88183000-1443499920_thumb.jpg

How does your hand feel?  Is it comfortable to make "the claw"?  I didn't think so.  This flaw is inherent to the 5200 controllers as well.  You have to grip with your last three fingers, and push buttons with the index and thumb "claws".  Like I said, terrible. 

By the way, NSG pointed out that this controller, held upside down by the shaft, looks like a Star Trek phaser.  NSG is brilliant.  Set your pro-line to stun!

post-41-0-13963600-1443499917_thumb.jpg

The Yurkie Mod

post-41-0-39997500-1443499911_thumb.jpg

Yurkie, a forum member on Atari Age offers this mod to the 7800 pro-line.  Essentially, it replaces the too long shaft of the original controller with a perfectly sized ball/knob.  Quick review:  It's a huge improvement.  You can more easily move the stick without having to grip so tightly.  But the "claw" buttons still remain a problem.  This is THE way to play games that don't need a button.  For example:  Pac Man Collection or Ms. Pac Man. 

The Euro Pad

post-41-0-32805600-1443499913_thumb.jpg

Now we're talking.  It's a nice clone of the NES pad that Atari made for the European 7800.  Quick review:  This thing ROCKS.  A huge improvement.  Highly recommended.  Yes the buttons are a little different (not raised enough, too low on the controller), but it's too nitpicky to complain about that.  The little thumb stick part screws on/off....very nice to have a choice for whatever mode is more comfortable for you. 

The NES Conversion

post-41-0-01764100-1443499919_thumb.jpg

Perfection.  An NES pad converted for use on the 7800.  I bought this a long time ago, and I'm not sure if they're made anymore.  Well, unless you made it yourself.  But it is fantastic.

Others

NoSwearGamer has reviewed a couple of the Edladdin options, and they look really good.  If I were a new 7800 collector, I'd most definitely go with the Genesis controller converter box.  See my notes on the NES conversion above...I imagine a Genesis pad would be even better.  

I am considering getting that

Those look really sharp and I have heard good things about them. The only reason why I would consider the Supreme 4/8 instead is because it has the ability to turn into an 8-way or 4-way joystick and you have the buttons on either side. 4 way joysticks work great with maze games like Ms. Pac-Man and Dig-Dug. I also found that Donkey Kong on the 7800 responds better with a 4 way joystick.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

don't forget about the competition series made by "Yandman"

post-33164-0-48105200-1383382911_thumb.jpost-33164-0-97474700-1383574404_thumb.j

post-33164-0-78159600-1383574397_thumb.jpost-33164-0-23211800-1383574387_thumb.j

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218170-yurkies-7800-controller-ball-mod-thumbs-up/?p=2858597

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

it basically comes to cost. the 7800 arcade one cost 250. I don't know how much supreme 4/8 is?

I'm sure its good

http://www.edladdin.com/Supreme-78-All-Play-4-8-ec-1-003.htm

It costs $179 and you can customize the colors of the buttons and joystick ball.

Ed was nice enough to create and give me a coupon for the viewers of my video, NSG, which takes another 10% off the price.

No matter what people chose to get, the best part is that their are several 7800 controller options that didn't exist a few years ago!  :thumb:

my 7800 controllers stopped working. the fire button stopped registering (seems theres kinck in the wires because when  bend it over by plug it works.)

so any game I have that uses two buttons are out single fire buttons are still good because I have wico ones that work.

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

If I were to get the 7800 again (I probably will, with all the new home-brews and the expansion module now), I'd have to go with the Prosystem Joystick arcade stickor the competition series arcade stick simply because they are a matching color scheme to the 7800, I gotta have controllers that match the system. Back about a decade ago I had a MAAS arcade stick that I custom made and painted for my Jaguar, then later on I modded it further so that the pause and option buttons doubled for the 7800 buttons, I had the best of both worlds...I wish now I hadn't sold it.

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

I've thought about building an arcade 7800 joystick a few times.  While the parts are inexpensive I don't have any way to make a nice case.  So...2600 joysticks for me for the most part.  Those 7800 joysticks always hurt my hands from day one.  And, contradicting another post, the 5200 controllers, to me, are more comfortable than the 7800 controllers.

Archived