Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Sega Master System - Why Isn't There More Love?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,248 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

I've kept my eye open for a Master System and also a TurboGrafx 16, but they are pretty hard to find in the wild. 

• The Professor and LeeJ07 like this

#22 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 997 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:22 PM

That's really cool!
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#23 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:22 PM

As mentioned earlier, the machine did very well here in UK, thanks to the brilliant handling of it by Mastertronic, then Virgin, where as the NEs, seemply arrived far too late, offered far too little in comparison.Yet oddly you pick up a UK retro based machine these days and you'd get a very different viewpoint and believe the NES did great here.....

I'll always remember it fondly for having fantastic conversions of things like:

The Terminator (far better VFM than the MD/Genesis version which i completed on my 1st go!), R-Type, Shadow Of The Beast, Galaxy Force, Afterburner etc, plus games like Master Of Darkness, Sonic, Spiderman, Gauntlet, Speedball, G-Loc etc.

It's a very unappreciated console in my view.Sure lot of sprite flicker, poor sound chip, but a lot there to really appreciate.

Ariolasoft was a German computer game developer, publisher and distributor who distributed the Sega Master System in Germany from 1986 until September 1988 when Virgin took over...and they were initally supposed to be handling UK distribution, until the deal fell through....

Rumour has it this was because Ariolasoft were unhappy with prices SEGA were proposing to sell MS games in the UK, thinking they were set too high for 8 Bit cartridge software.......

'Weeeeeeeeeee-oooooooooh!.Now this is what i call a conversion'. C+VG's Tony Takoushi's inital reaction to seeing Space Harrier running on the Master System.

Thought i'd mention it, as the A8 version seems to get all the love these days as the Def.8 Bit conversion :-)

• RickR, LeeJ07 and StormSurge like this

#24 atarifan95

atarifan95

Strawberry Member

• 53 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

I think the Master System was in the shadow of other great systems like the NES, and Sega didn't really become that popular until the release of the Genesis, which, let's be honest here, was a great system (though I can't speak for other people on this forum). The Master System was pretty good though.

#25 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 997 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

The Master System was (and still is) HUGE in Brazil.

Pretty big in Europe, too, where the NES was nearly mythical in comparison.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#26 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 997 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

As an aside, the Master System is the next classic console I want to pursue. It has a modest library, sure, but it is by no means a miniscule one. Over 300 titles, I believe, which is nothing to sniff at. Add to that the console has NO region lock between NTSC and PAL Master Systems, meaning pretty much all the best European exclusive titles can be played on an American SMS, so it's an importer's dream.

A great system, and a worthy predecessor to the Genesis.

Edited by LeeJ07, 07 July 2016 - 02:44 PM.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#27 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

The last few articles i've read by a UK writer, looking at the Atari 7800, much has been made of the 7800 outselling the Master System in the USA, which indeed it did, but writer stumbles into protraying the Master System as something of a failure in comparison?

Yet it was in the Top 10 best selling consolesin the world in articles published in 2000, with ESTIMATED sales of 10 Million, by comparison the CBM Amiga estimated at 13 million, so why it's so often overlooked, is beyond me.
  • The Professor likes this

#28 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

The last few articles i've read by a UK writer, looking at the Atari 7800, much has been made of the 7800 outselling the Master System in the USA, which indeed it did, but writer stumbles into protraying the Master System as something of a failure in comparison?

I think it's all relative. Sega Master System was the most powerful of the three and had some great games. The wedge look was technical and advanced. The Sega Cards came out before Lynx or TurboGrafx-16 and were a neat novelty. SMS introduced American homes to great franchises like Hang On, OutRun, Space Harrier and more.

By comparison to the NES which had massive market share and the overwhelming popularity of Mario and the other Nintendo characters, it's easy for a journalist who is lazy to say "Sega Master System was a failure" and move on to the next paragraph.

It also seems like sometimes gaming journalists like to call things a "failure" because it's dramatic, creates buzz and draws in more clicks. They seem prone to put out articles about "10 greatest video game failures" or something that "ruined their childhood". That's something we've tried to avoid at this site in our editorial content and focus on positive memories and honest perspectives.
  • RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#29 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

Sega was also attempting to bring 3D into the home with those rather nifty LCD 3D Glasses etc on the Mastersystem, the Powerbase cponvertor was a suberb addition to owning a MegaDrive, espically when some MS games played better than MD versions (Terminator, Prince Of Persia-better than MCD version i found, etc) and Sega used the fact MD played MS games to boost advantage in terms of games avaiable on Sega's 16 bit system, compared to the few the SNES had launched with....

Yet due to the very lazy and i'm going to have to say Atari-Biased UK Jurno's we often see bring the MS's failure in Japan and America into the coverage of just how well the 7800 did, in USA....the System seems to be put down.

Focus purely on how it trailed behind the 7800 in USA...but it wasn't a monumental gap was it?

If your going to quote tech specs to give a reader unfamilar with any of the main 8 bit consoles (not counting CBM's C64GS or Amstad's GX4000 here) then take 5-10 mins to do some research and present any comparison chart with actual game specs and note whilst some games did run in high resolution modes or used high resolution mode for things like title/high score screens, status panels etc, majority of games ran at a far lower resolution.

I mean the last feature i read from a UK 'professional' writer had a comparison chart between NES-7800-MS.

Sounds great, on paper..reality was:

MS CPU stated as 4Mhz, it's actually slower at 3.58Mhz

MS Memory: 8K, nope, 8K ROM, 8K Ram and 16K Video Ram

Colours: palette of 256...not quite, try 64...though this appears to be a common error, but even still if your putting it in for a professional magazine, it took like all of 5 secs to type and find a source of info on MS hardware on Goggle:

http://www.smspower....dp-20021112.txt

Colours on-screen 52, no, 32, possible 64 with clever coding routines.

Sound simply stated as 3 Channel Mono.

Sorry but that's far too sweeping a statement...If your going to comment on Atari planning to use POKEY on a lot more 7800 carts than we saw, you really have to make clear SEGA released an FM Sound Unit for the Sega Mk III console, which contained a YM2413 FM chip adding 9 EXTRA Mono sound channels, thus Pokey outgunned for starters...

This was also built in to the redesigned Japanese MS, so IS standard on certain models, Japanese versions of things like:

Afterburner, Outrun, Alien Syndrome,Double Dragon, Zaxxon 3-D, Wonderboy In Monster Land, Thunderblade, Space Harrier 3-D, R-Type, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Powerstrike and many more used it, so it was far better embraced than Pokey was on 7800.....

But hey, if it makes a platform of your choice look inferior, best leave that info out, right?

I personally think articles focusing on a specific system, whilst making reference to rival systems, should point out sales were Region Specific and there were hardware variations that added a lot to hardware avaiable else where, so there cannot really be a direct comparison.

It's also rather bloody daft to claim the system your writing about was on par with the Master System, when the Graphics Chip designer of the system your writing on, was interviewed by very same publication years earlier and made clear it wasn't, Sega's System had the edge, as it makes it clear you not only aren't fully aware of system differences, but couldn't be bothered to check either before or after producing the article.

So yes, sadly i do feel the same as the Prof.It's a double whammy of lazy research and and a p*ss poor attempt to draw more attention, as you know people will spot the errors, 'kick-off' and there's no such thing as bad publicity, right? and besides you can just say..hey X,Y and Z are trolling/causing trouble again...

Edited by Lost Dragon, 22 July 2016 - 12:42 PM.

• Greyfox likes this

#30 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

:)

I need to check this claim out, but....

Level 3 of Master System Shinobi featured as backdrop for Depeche Mode's Everything Counts video?

Sweet if true....

• Greyfox likes this

#31 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,248 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

:)

I need to check this claim out, but....

Level 3 of Master System Shinobi featured as backdrop for Depeche Mode's Everything Counts video?

Sweet if true....

That is actually one (of 3) SMS games that I own.  I shall try it soon and see.  I agree...sweet if true.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#32 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:48 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326633/
  • Greyfox likes this

#33 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 535 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

Old topic I know but thought I would chime in. First I LOVE the Master System. I had a friend that had on growing up. Had he not had one I might not have known about it until well after childhood. We had so much more fun with it than my NES. It was the very reason I got a Genesis and did not wait for the SNES!!!! The powerbase converter came free here in MA if you traded in the Master System, wish I had thought about asking my friend for his Master System stuff. By then he was not honestly into playing games and had a TON of carts and cards for the system. I love my Master System and play the hell out of it!!!!! I just need more software for it. HAHAHA Great topic!!!!!!!

Capture_2016-11-15-16-13-28-1_zpsirblhcs

• Justin, LeeJ07, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#34 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Thought i'd throw this scan up, as it's the 'Forgotten Chapter' as it were of the UK side of the MS, people seem totally oblivous of the original distrubution plans, just think Virgin Mastertronic distrubuted it from day 1..

Nope :)

Attached Thumbnails

• cvg6200009_1.jpg

#35 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

Early Sega MS adverts from UK Press.

Sega keen to get across the arcade Conversion aspect, along with fact it was cheaper than NES, where as Nintendo rather foolishly went with the power of the hardware angle over existing 8 bit hardware, at a time Atari were pushing the 16 bit power with out a hefty price, tag line for the 520STFM.

Attached Thumbnails

• cvg7200153.jpg
  • cvg7200136.jpg
  • cvg7700010.jpg
  • cvg7700011.jpg
  • cvg7800026.jpg
  • cvg08500134.jpg

#36 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:27 AM