Throwback Thursday

DeLorean

I thought since there's so much retro here, we should share little nuggets from our lives and start making Throwback Thursday posts. And hashtag free!

post-9-0-57078400-1444284248_thumb.jpeg

Dressed up in the 90s. That's me on the left.

post-9-0-50273500-1444284292_thumb.jpeg

With my granddad. I'm on the right.

post-9-0-92140000-1444284327_thumb.jpeg

And to get into the mood from Halloween, this is a few years ago. My friend was Greenman from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Let's see yours!

In the spirit of the thread I offer the following. Forgive me if I ever posted these before, my memory sucks. 

These are about the only photos I have from back in my youth but are pretty good evidence of my gaming roots though I wish I still had anything as originally shown lol. 

The oldest, Christmas morning nice presents of a couple COLECO TABLETOP ARCADES, guess I am 12 or 13 here in my cool PJ's

ai5iINK.jpg

Years later in a tiny one room arcade I think was in a Zellers on Gerrard Ave in Toronto. 

FsFSjqc.jpg

Here I am rocking a BATMAN shirt very popular after the release of TIM BURTONS BATMAN, notice the nice Nintendo packaging behind me ;)

IuFBmPU.jpg

Lastly a room I had long ago, a Nintendo set up in it's own storage and accessories tray, Madonna flag hanging in the closet, assorted posters including Amiga, Heavy Metal bands, Sunshine girls clipped from newspaper lol. I think these are good throwback contributions.

kugdw2n.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

So true about the slides! The condo complex where my father lived growing up had a playground with a slide similar to that, but that's a story for a future blog post.

All those classic pictures are great!

I don't think I have too many showing off my toys, games, etc. (which makes me sad) but I know I have a couple I need to dig up.

In the meantime, here's 5-year old me at Christmas in 1978.

21848054578_1044edd5e3_z.jpg

I don't think I have too many showing off my toys, games, etc. (which makes me sad) but I know I have a couple I need to dig up.

In the meantime, here's 5-year old me at Christmas in 1978.

5 years old with a toy X-Wing, it does not get much better ! 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Me in late August 1997 the day I bought my N64. I was playing Goldeneye. That is the game I absolutley wanted when I bought it. It was only a few days after it came out when the picture was taken.

GoldenEye is an amazing game and a great way to start off a N64 experience. 

- M. Bison

That's a really nice NES Deluxe Set with R.O.B. you have there MaximumRD. What's the story behind that?

HAD lol. I don't recall the details, I already had a NES before that but I must have received it that Christmas or something. Throughout my life I had to sell off all that great stuff I had originally, I regret having to do so but it was survival, my collection today is great since I started really collecting back in like 2008 but definitely some treasures in my youth I wish I had been able to keep until now. 

- M. Bison

I meant to share this on the 25th anniversary, which was November 3, but I forgot.

Captured on film, is what I believe, the pivotal moment of my life.

A little backstory.

I played sports growing up, like most boys. Since I was tall, basketball was the main sport, although IMHO, I didn't become "good" until my 20s. (I still play regularly today. It's the only form of exercise I get.) But I played everything in the backyard with friends.

Loooong story short, one of my good friends is a super-athlete. He was the quarterback for my high school team. One day while playing a pickup game of football, we were an unstoppable force, with him playing QB & me playing wide receiver. He talked me into joining the football team, a sport I never played at an official level.

I went out for spring football during my junior year & had ZERO clue as to what I was doing. I had no idea how to put the pads on, strap my helmet on, nothing. But I made it through.

I spent all summer working out on my own. Running, pushups, situps, etc., just to make sure I would be ready for practice in the fall.

Fall comes around and my friend decides he doesn't want to ruin his promising baseball career, so he quits the football team. Gulp.

I'm still kind of lost out there, not knowing what's going on, but I'm having a good time. I'm practicing at wide receiver and free safety. Our first game comes & I only play a couple of plays at wide receiver. We lose. The second game, we're getting destroyed & I barely play. Near the end of the game, the coaches put me in at free safety. In the rain, in a blowout, I manage to intercept a pass.

After the game, the coaches decided to switch things up on defense, benching one of our cornerbacks and moving the starting safety to corner. Guess who the new starting safety is?

The next game comes, another loss. However, I intercept two more passes. Now I'm feeling pretty cocky, so of course I don't get any in our next two games. But the game after that? Two more! (I was also named the Domino's Pizza Defensive Player of the Game by our local radio station and I spent all winter eating Domino's and playing Nintendo. Good times.)

Still no wins. But the next game, I'm playing hurt. My lower back got strained during the week & I could barely walk. No practice. Game day comes around & I'm starting again. Another interception and a WIN! 7-6!

The next game is November 3. It's unseasonably warm, around 70 degrees. We took the SATs in the morning & played in the afternoon. For once, we're on the good side of a blowout. It feels great. In the fourth quarter up comfortably, this happens:

My seventh interception of the season, but my last. Torn posterior cruciate ligament in my left knee. The Hartford Whalers team surgeon performed the surgery and I was playing small-time college basketball less than a year later. (I've had four more surgeries on the same knee for torn cartilige.)

I say this is a pivotal moment in my life because I was catching the eye of some college football coaches. Believe me, nothing major, but smaller schools, Division 3 or so. (I managed to make all-conference Honorable Mention!  :) ) Because of the injury, those opportunities were no longer there and I went to a school with no football. That path has led me to where I am today and although there have been some major bumps, I can't complain one bit about where I'm at. I wouldn't have my wonderful daughter!

And I was a pretty damn good flag football player after that.  B)

Sorry for the long post...

Archived