A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS - Atari I/O Movie Club - December, 2015

Justin

movie_club_600.gif

Atari I/O Movie Club Presents

A Holiday Movie Classic

movie_club_text_charlie_brown_christmas.

1965 United Feature Syndicate

[Not Rated]

movie_club_text_learn_more.gif

Not Rated

Based on Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz

Written by Charles M. Schulz

Directed by Bill Melendez

Produced by Bill Melendez

Starring Peter Robbins, Chris Shea, Tracy Stratford, Kathy Steinberg, Bill Melendez, Chris Doran, Karen Mendelson, Geoffrey Orstein, Sally Dryer, Anne Altieri

Theme Music Composed by Vince Guaraldi

Production companies: Lee Mendelson Film Productions, Bill Melendez Productions

Distributed by United Feature Syndicate

Released December 9, 1965

Running time: 25 minutes

Budget $96,000

Television Network CBS (1965-2000) ABC (2001-Present)

92% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes 

:pole_position_blimp_big:  ON ABC TELEVISION THURSDAY, DECEMBER 24th 8/7C

Memories:

A Charlie Brown Christmas was always holiday viewing for me and my family. I can still remember being three years old and sitting at the edge of my parents bed recording A Charlie Brown Christmas on VHS hen it aired on television. My job was to pause the recording during the commercials. We still have that tape, which I've seen countless times. I didn't quite get to pause the recording all of the commercials, they managed to get a “Sponsored By…” message for the broadcast of A Charlie Brown Christmas from Almost Home Family Style Cookies and Peter Paul Cadbury, which you can see below:

About the Movie:

It's Christmas season, and Charlie Brown is depressed. He confides in Linus this fact, citing his dismay with the over-commercialization of Christmas and his inability to grasp what Christmas is all about; Linus dismisses it as typical Charlie Brown behavior at first. Brown's depression and aggravation only get exacerbated by the goings-on in the neighborhood. Though his mailbox is empty, he tries sarcastically to thank Violet for the card she "sent" him, though Violet just uses the opportunity to put Brown down again. Eventually, Charlie Brown visits Lucy in her psychiatric booth. Lucy, after presumptively diagnosing him with various phobias and admitting she wants real estate as a Christmas gift, determines that Charlie Brown needs more involvement and recommends that he direct a Christmas play. On his way to the auditorium, he finds his dog Snoopy decorating his doghouse for a neighborhood lights and display contest. En route to the rehearsals, he runs into his sister Sally, who asks him to write her letter to Santa Claus. When she tells him to put in a request for money ("tens and twenties"), Charlie Brown becomes even more dismayed.

ABC Television Listing:

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" – Celebrate the joy of the holidays with the classic animated Christmas-themed PEANUTS special, "A Charlie Brown Christmas," created by the late cartoonist Charles M. Schulz. In the digitally re-mastered 1965 special, Charlie Brown complains about the overwhelming materialism that he sees everywhere during the Christmas season. Lucy suggests that he become director of the school Christmas pageant and Charlie Brown accepts, but it proves to be a frustrating struggle. When an attempt to restore the proper spirit with a forlorn little fir Christmas tree fails, Charlie Brown needs Linus' help to learn what the real meaning of Christmas is. (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kAF3Y6vyI

Learn More: The Retroist | IMDB | Wikipedia | Rotten Tomatoes

Watch: iTunes | eBay | Watch on YouTube

Movie Trivia:

Please Enjoy "The Making of A Charlie Brown Christmas"

movie_club_night_1.gif

We have a list of "must see" movies each year at Christmas time, and this one definitely makes the cut.     I keep expecting it to be the last time I see it on national television (given the overly Christian message) but each year it sticks around.   It's like a small piece of my childhood that hasn't been changed in any way.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

We watched "Frosty the Snowman" tonight......my youngest had never seen it all the way thru.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I watched it with my entire family, we had drinks and snacks set up for Christmas Eve. Carmel popcorn, pie, cookies, pretzels, assorted nuts, and sliders with steak and cheese or ham and cheese. It was a good night. We watched the original A Charlie Brown Christmas, and then the other Charlie Brown Christmas special that followed immediately after.

I still crack up at the way Lucy says "NO, NO, NO!" at Schroeder when he doesn't play Jingle Bells exactly the way she thinks it should sound. It was fun watching this again with my family. It's different when everybody is together and it's a holiday.

Archived