Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Kaboom!

Atari 2600

Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE

Difficulty Switch: A 

Achieve high score to win challenge

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST January 14th, 2016

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between January 1st through January 14th, 2016. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 2-week competition is the victor.

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real Atari hardware, dedicated (Flashback) console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. We are playing the original Kaboom! for Atari 2600, enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed. 

Difficulty Level: This game must be played using the HARDEST Difficulty Level, with the Difficulty Switch locked in the A position.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2016 and our 3rd Squad Challenge! We're glad you're here, and excited for the year ahead! For our 3rd Squad Challenge we chose a game that was excellent and has remained quite popular, making the game easily attainable. Kaboom! is known to be simple, addictive, and fun to play! We are playing this game on the hardest difficulty setting, which means moving your Difficulty Switch to the A position. High Score Squad will rotate between "common favorites" and "under the radar games". Sometimes we may pick common games, other times we may get more adventurous in our selection. Think of it like a book club or food tasting event with a nice mix. I hope all of you have a good time, and remember this is for "nerd cred" and meant to be fun for all! You have until 11:59 pm PST January 14th to complete this challenge and successfully submit your score. GOOD LUCK, SQUAD!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

So I went to grab my copy and......it was missing.  :unsure:

So it's either misplaced or I accidentally sold it thinking it was a duplicate.

So unless I find it or come across a copy real soon, it looks like i will be sitting this one out.

Good Luck Everybody!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I have never been great at Kaboom and it has been quite a while since I've played it or any paddle game. You could almost hear my paddles groaning from the disuse. Anyway, I was hoping to at least hit 1,000 on hard but the best I could manage in an hour was 805.

This game is definitely one for force sensitive people. You almost have to feel your way through it.

Played on my 7800 via a Harmony cart.

post-65-0-34109500-1451767561_thumb.jpeg

Just a friendly reminder to all....it says to put the difficulty switch on "A".

Correct, the Difficulty Switch must be set to "A" for your score to count in the Squad Challenge. Most all Squad Challenges are played on the highest difficulty settings to keep the game short and sweet. Good luck everybody!

I have Stella but it's hard to get the Activision ROMs.  Atari Age don't have those.  Where are some other places to get them?

best site for all ROMs and no popups: http://edgeemu.net/

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Also, and so I know I am doing this right, is the hardest setting played by setting only the difficulty switch? Believe it or not I am a newb to most 2600 games, this is one of those games. Thanks in advance.

Yep. Set the switch in the A position and you're set. You can tell the difference between the two settings by the width of the barrels. On hard, the barrels are very narrow.

Well...pathetic start, and it's hard to play this game on a small touchpad.  As soon as I locate one I'm picking up this cart for both 2600 and 5200 consoles.

post-870-0-89129000-1452158254_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-57710000-1452158257_thumb.jpg

I got 345.  Then again I've not really given this title much of a chance so I am learning.  Like I have said, the 2600 might not be new to me but a majority of its games are.  ;)

Hi guys, this is my first post to these forums and I have to say very impressed with the site!  Loads of cool stuff and discussion here.

Welcome to the forums MightyMattD! We're happy to have you join our little community, so awesome to see you 1 post in and already involved in stuff. I hope you enjoy your time here, welcome!  :pole_position_blimp:

Archived