Cinematography by John Bailey

Edited by Pembroke J. Herring

Distributed by Columbia Pictures

Released February 12, 1993

Running time: 101 minutes

Budget $14,600,000.00

Box office $70,900,000.00

96% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes 

:pole_position_blimp_big:  ON COMEDY CENTRAL TUESDAY, FEB 2nd 11:21AM, 2:07PM, 4:46PM, 7:24PM EST

Plot

Phil Connors (Bill Murray) is a jaded, sarcastic weather “personality” who finds joy in nothing. He doesn’t delight in his work, or his coworkers, or especially in the idea of heading up to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania just to cover a yearly ritual he thinks is ridiculous. How can a groundhog tell the weather? Groundhog Day, however, isn’t about the rodent, or the weather, or really about Phil the human. If you had a chance to live as long as you could possibly want, and for much longer, what would you do to put purpose into your days?

groundhog_day_1.jpg

groundhog_day_2.jpg

groundhog_day_3.jpg

As a Classic Movie

The popularity and critical consensus of Groundhog Day has increased significantly since its initial release, with the film currently holding a 96% "Certified Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes and being aired numerous times on television. The film is regarded as a contemporary classic. Roger Ebert revisited it in his "Great Movies" series. After giving it a three-star rating in his original review, Ebert acknowledged in his "Great Movies" essay that, like many viewers, he had initially underestimated the film's many virtues and only came to truly appreciate it through repeated viewings.

Learn More: The Retroist | IMDB | Wikipedia | Rotten Tomatoes

Watch: iTunes | Amazon | eBay | Rent on YouTube

Movie Trivia

Estimates regarding how long Phil is trapped in the time loop vary widely. Director Ramis stated in the DVD commentary that he believes 10 years pass. However, in an e-mail response sent to Heeb magazine, Ramis wrote, "I think the 10-year estimate is too short. It takes at least 10 years to get good at anything, and allotting for the down time and misguided years he spent, it had to be more like 30 or 40 years."

According to actor Stephen Tobolowsky, Ramis told him that the entire progress of Groundhog Day covered 10,000 years. "I always thought that there were nine days represented [in the film], and Danny Rubin, the writer, said that he felt something like 23 days were represented in the movie, [but they lasted] over 10,000 years."

In 2014, website WhatCulture went through every stage of the film, calculated that Phil spent "12,395 days" in the time loop, or, without elaborating on leap years, "33 years and 350 days."

movie_club_night_1.gif

One of my all time favorite movies.  I've always wondered how long he got stuck in the loop.  Thanks for the Ramis quote about 40 years.  That makes sense.  Did it make him immortal (until he got out of it)? 

I classify this movie as a sci-fi flick disguised as a rom-com. 

:pole_position_blimp_big:   ON COMEDY CENTRAL TUESDAY FEB 2nd ALL AFTERNOON & EVENING!

Tuesday is Groundhog Day, and what a great day to watch the movie! Groundhog Day is our current selection for the Atari I/O Movie Club. Together we can watch it, record it, enjoy it with friends and family and a big bowl of buttery popcorn! Be sure to get snacks and drinks ready, and set your DVR!

Groundhog Day will be airing on Comedy Central throughout the day beginning at the following showtimes: 11:21AM, 2:07PM, 4:46PM, 7:24PM EST

Archived