Squad Challenge - Galaga (Atari 7800)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Galaga
Atari 7800
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE, NO AUTOFIRE
Difficulty Level: Advanced

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! 
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST April 30th, 2016

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between April 15th through April 30th, 2016. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 2-week competition is the victor.

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware, dedicated console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed. Autofire controllers and accessories are not allowed in this Squad Challenge.

Difficulty Level: At the start up screen, move the controller handle to the left or right to chose the Advanced difficulty level, which is the middle of three difficulty options. See Instruction Manual provided below for details.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Welcome to our 10th Squad Challenge! Galaga is one of the best classic Arcade games on the Atari 7800. It was one of the launch titles developed by GCC initially released by Atari Inc. in 1984, and again by Atari Corp. in 1986. Classic Arcade titles are one of the things that makes the 7800 shine, and Galaga is one of the best!. 

I hope all of you have a good time, and remember this is for "nerd cred" and meant to be fun for all! Like Atari Day, Squad Challenges are about the pure Atari gaming experience and something we should share among friends! I encourage you to share your strategies and experiences with all of us! You have until 11:59 pm PST April 30th, 2016 to complete this challenge and successfully submit your score. The ROM is readily available online, and the Instruction Book is provided for you below. GOOD LUCK, SQUAD!

Galaga.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

oh yeah, I'll be in on this one !!!!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware, dedicated console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed. Autofire is not allowed in this Squad Challenge.

attachicon.gifGalaga.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

"auto fire" cannot be disabled in anyway other than not holding down the fire button

from manual

GETTING STARTED:

5. Press a controller button to fire intergalactic missiles. Hold down the
button to rapid fire.

gallery_823_11_28383.jpg

pic was snapped after attract-mode so the level indicator revered back to "1" ... I think I was past or at level 14

I played without just holding button down ( it is more natural to play that way )

with stock controller ... key to using stock controller is to have fire button upwards with handle to the side ... I don't have a bowling glove for wrist support

level 10 they really start zooming across screen :o

nice use of the high score cart!

what the high score cart ?

156010 level 20

gallery_823_11_330035.jpg

using stock pro-line controller

one time I did try the Sega arcade stick to see what auto fire would do ... I couldn't tell if & how it was enabled on that controller with this game

also, not mentioned in manual bonus ship @ 30k & probably every 120k ( I wonder if that is the difference in the novice & expert settings )

Well...this was a warm-up run.  I'm going to try again later.  I don't like Galaga compared to Galaxian but I like this Galaga.  It's really fun and the only port of Galaga I know of on any Atari console or computer.  I believe the 7800 is the only Atari to get this arcade hit.

100,350 on Level 11.  

post-870-0-29765400-1461102734_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-52145600-1461102742_thumb.jpg

post-870-0-22440100-1461102754_thumb.jpg

Got this the same Christmas I got my 7800.  Played it to death back then, solid arcade port as usual for this console.  Had to find another cart, just had to play it on the real thing.  

I'd be curious about the high score cart also.  I do remember someone made them but I don't know that they are still available.

post-923-0-17061000-1461378773_thumb.jpg

I believe the first run of High Score Carts have long been sold out. 

Video 61 or Justin may be able to confirm this.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/hsc/new_hsc/

I think Curt Vendel made some later ones, but I think all versions have been sold.

The XM also had HSC functions, but is not available (I believe Curt has had health issues that shelved the XM, maybe permanently)

I hear that a future Concerto cart might have HSC features.

Long story short, there is no HSC on the market right now.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I think Curt Vendel made some later ones, but I think all versions have been sold.

The XM also had HSC functions, but is not available (I believe Curt has had health issues that shelved the XM, maybe permanently)

Thanks for info, NSG.  Too bad about the high score cart, it would be a nice to have.  XM would have been even nicer  :) .  That stinks that Curt isn't feeling well - he's a huge contributor to all things Atari.

That's all absolutely :100:% correct nosweargamer.

I suspect there may be a new version of the 7800 High Score Cart on it's way at some point in the future, if the demand is there and if costs can be kept down.

Both Video 61 and I were two of the original four vendors of the Atari 7800 High Score Cartridge back when Atari I/O was known as Atari7800.com. I sold out of my last High Score Cartridge sometime in 2001. We haven't sold anything on this site in more than 15 years, but we had a tremendous amount of fun back then.

Interesting bit of HSC history: In 2000 I converted my first shipment of 7800 High Score Cartridges to an improved model that I had refined. My first batch shipped with these improvements, but after they went out I was asked not to make improvements on the HSC cartridges and of course complied with that request. What we made came out really, really nice. It was the High Score Cartridge of my dreams. The original HSC was awesome, but when I received the first batch I saw a few points that I thought I could improve upon to give it more of a factory finish without changing the price. Namely, the exposed pins at the top, the early cart label, box art, and the sturdiness of the cartridge. I was also working on a color instruction manual. Here are a few details on the improvements I made:

• The pins at the top of the cartridge were exposed (where you'd connect the game you wanted to play, as you would on a Game Genie). I enclosed these with a thin plastic housing that had been custom cut and neatly covered with one layer of electrical tape for a matte black finish that would match the cartridge. I thought this tidied things up nicely and made the HSC look like it could have come out of the Atari factory this way.

• I also made the cartridge stronger. The first batch of HSCs came in repurposed 2600 cartridge shells, mostly from Combat. Because the HSC consisted of a 7800-style PCB placed inside of an early 2600 cartridge shell, the 2600 cartridge dust protector had been removed as it would have been in the way. With the dust protector gone, the end of the cartridge was left wide open and it became like looking up a girl's skirt. This made the cartridge feel a bit flimsy as the structural integrity of the dust cover moving up into the cartridge shell as originally intended was now gone. This also left the entire PCB exposed from the bottom up and not as securely held in place as it could be. I remedied this by modifying a 2600 dust cover using an X-Acto knife to widen the slot for the connector pins to fit the 7800 PCB. I sanded one side of the dust cover and used glue for model airplanes to permanently secure it to the inside of the cartridge, leaving the dust cover in it's "open" position to mimic the look and structure of normal 7800 cartridge shells. This noticeably strengthened the rigidity of the cartridge, held the PCB securely in place as it should be, and gave a nice factory finished look and feel to the cart.

• The 1st generation HSC cart labels appeared to have been done on an early bubble jet printer and had a generic look to them. I created a new label (pictured below) using the standard 7800 cartridge design and some classic Atari artwork from an Atari folder I had, which I thought looked spectacular. I had labels professionally printed with nice results. This new design was mimicked when the HSC was rereleased for another run a few years later.

• I also carried this design over to new box art, and a color instruction manual which was in the works.

I did this to about one dozen or so 7800 High Score Cartridges that shipped in November, 2000. I made these updates with the best of intentions and meant no harm in doing so, but I was young at the time and made these improvements without thinking that I would need to seek permission to alter something that I already owned. I was politely asked to no longer perform these improvements as they wanted all High Score Cartridges to be uniform in look and feel, and of course complied with that request.

All current HSC owners could make these upgrades on their own pretty easily, I'll post photos below and may create a video tutorial on how to do this:

IMG_5289.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

IMG_5291.JPG

IMG_5292.JPG

IMG_5293.JPG

IMG_5288.JPG

That's all absolutely :100:% correct nosweargamer.

I suspect there may be a new version of the 7800 High Score Cart on it's way at some point in the future, if the demand is there and if costs can be kept down.

Both Video 61 and I were two of the original four vendors of the Atari 7800 High Score Cartridge back when Atari I/O was known as Atari7800.com. I sold out of my last High Score Cartridge sometime in 2001. We haven't sold anything on this site in more than 15 years, but we had a tremendous amount of fun back then.

Interesting bit of HSC history: In 2000 I converted my first shipment of 7800 High Score Cartridges to an improved model that I had refined. My first batch shipped with these improvements, but after they went out I was asked not to make improvements on the HSC cartridges and of course complied with that request. What we made came out really, really nice. It was the High Score Cartridge of my dreams. The original HSC was awesome, but when I received the first batch I saw a few points that I thought I could improve upon to give it more of a factory finish without changing the price. Namely, the exposed pins at the top, the early cart label, box art, and the sturdiness of the cartridge. I was also working on a color instruction manual. Here are a few details on the improvements I made:

• The pins at the top of the cartridge were exposed (where you'd connect the game you wanted to play, as you would on a Game Genie). I enclosed these with a thin plastic housing that had been custom cut and neatly covered with one layer of electrical tape for a matte black finish that would match the cartridge. I thought this tidied things up nicely and made the HSC look like it could have come out of the Atari factory this way.

• I also made the cartridge stronger. The first batch of HSCs came in repurposed 2600 cartridge shells, mostly from Combat. Because the HSC consisted of a 7800-style PCB placed inside of an early 2600 cartridge shell, the 2600 cartridge dust protector had been removed as it would have been in the way. With the dust protector gone, the end of the cartridge was left wide open and it became like looking up a girl's skirt. This made the cartridge feel a bit flimsy as the structural integrity of the dust cover moving up into the cartridge shell as originally intended was now gone. This also left the entire PCB exposed from the bottom up and not as securely held in place as it could be. I remedied this by modifying a 2600 dust cover using an X-Acto knife to widen the slot for the connector pins to fit the 7800 PCB. I sanded one side of the dust cover and used glue for model airplanes to permanently secure it to the inside of the cartridge, leaving the dust cover in it's "open" position to mimic the look and structure of normal 7800 cartridge shells. This noticeably strengthened the rigidity of the cartridge, held the PCB securely in place as it should be, and gave a nice factory finished look and feel to the cart.

• The 1st generation HSC cart labels appeared to have been done on an early bubble jet printer and had a generic look to them. I created a new label (pictured below) using the standard 7800 cartridge design and some classic Atari artwork from an Atari folder I had, which I thought looked spectacular. I had labels professionally printed with nice results. This new design was mimicked when the HSC was rereleased for another run a few years later.

• I also carried this design over to new box art, and a color instruction manual which was in the works.

I did this to about one dozen or so 7800 High Score Cartridges that shipped in November, 2000. I made these updates with the best of intentions and meant no harm in doing so, but I was young at the time and made these improvements without thinking that I would need to seek permission to alter something that I already owned. I was politely asked to no longer perform these improvements as they wanted all High Score Cartridges to be uniform in look and feel, and of course complied with that request.

All current HSC owners could make these upgrades on their own pretty easily, I'll post photos below and may create a video tutorial on how to do this:

I would love to have one of those High Score Carts!!  It would come in handy.

Just to get my name on the board:  35510

It's a fun game.  But every time I get my ship captured, I either shoot my own ship or lose it after just a few moments of double fire.  Because I stink at this game!

if you accidently shoot the host ship while your 2'nd ship is captured ..... DON'T shoot the lone captured ship ... let it fly off screen  .... the next wave it will be the last ship to complete the array ( also can't shoot the new host ship before it makes the array ... I think it's the 2'nd to the left ) 

I think Galaga 7800 is a bit more difficult than the arcade or the other ports so it will definitely improve your skills in those ;)

Just to get my name on the board:  35510

It's a fun game.  But every time I get my ship captured, I either shoot my own ship or lose it after just a few moments of double fire.  Because I stink at this game!

God bless you RickR!

I was getting really bummed with all these guys with scores in the 100,000's while I kept tapping out in the 30,000's.  Joining you at the bottom of the pack!  Glad I'm not alone down here. ;)

My best score of the night: 54280

That's almost 20,000 better than my second best game.  Lol

galaga1.jpg

galaga2.jpg

This underwhelming feat accomplished with an epyx controller and a stock 7800.

God bless you RickR!

I was getting really bummed with all these guys with scores in the 100,000's while I kept tapping out in the 30,000's.  Joining you at the bottom of the pack!  Glad I'm not alone down here. ;)

My best score of the night: 54280

That's almost 20,000 better than my second best game.  Lolgalaga1.jpg

galaga2.jpg

This underwhelming feat accomplished with an epyx controller and a stock 7800.

Welcome, brother. It was lonely and embarrassing down here.

Archived