Stranger Things "Chapter Six: The Monster"

Justin

:mac_alert:  SPOILER WARNING: This is a discussion on the sixth episode of Stranger Things. It contains spoilers for the series through S1:E6. Do not read this page if you do not want to know what happens through the end of Chapter Six.

Stranger Things "Chapter Six: The Monster"

"Today is the day we make contact"

Season 1, Episode 6   46m

Stranger_Things_Chapter_6_The_Monster_A.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_6_The_Monster_B.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_6_The_Monster_C.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_6_The_Monster_D.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_6_The_Monster_E.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_6_The_Monster_F.

A frantic Jonathan looks for Nancy in the darkness, but Steve is looking for her, too. Hopper and Joyce uncover the truth about the lab's experiments.

Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Matthew Modine

TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Director: The Duffer Brothers

Soundtrack: Violin Concerto in E major BWV. 1041 1st movement Allegro (Johann Sebastian Bach), Exit (Tangerine Dream)

Unanswered Questions:

• Is Eleven Terry Ives' daughter?
  • Where are 01-10?
  • Do Dr. Brenner and the team at the laboratory really not have any idea what they're dealing with?
  • ​Did Eleven's powers open a portal between universes, or was it the monster who opened the portal?
  • ​How did the monster and Eleven escape the confines of Hawkins National Laboratory during gate incident?

The scene toward the end where Troy (the bully) forces Mike to jump off of the edge, only to be rescued mid-air by Eleven using her powers reminds me an awful lot of the scene in Back To The Future Part II where Biff Tannen forces Marty to jump off the edge of the building, and rescued mid-air by Doc Brown using the flying DeLorean. Both involve a protagonist being forced to jump to certain death by a bully, only to be rescued using the biggest Deus ex machina ("God from a machine") in the show/movie.

This is where I left off, and actually has a tiny complaint.  The CGI on the cliff scene is just...well, bad.   Hopefully the success will warrant a bigger budget for the next season.

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet, but again Lucas is the frustrating one!   I know the group of friends needs the pessimist, and it's a testament to this kid's acting ability that he makes me want to smack him.   

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

​How did the monster and Eleven escape the confines of Hawkins National Laboratory during gate incident?

My guess is that she was under for some experiment and found the way out the creature found.  (Through the tree?)  BUT she mentions that the gate is her fault, so maybe she made the rift to escape and the monster got out too.

EDIT: OR maybe the monster was trying to get her so she made the rift to escape and it followed her through?  Maybe the reason she feels guilty about Will is because the critter after her took Will back instead. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

This is where I left off, and actually has a tiny complaint.  The CGI on the cliff scene is just...well, bad.   Hopefully the success will warrant a bigger budget for the next season. 

I noticed that a tad, and I hope so too. I read a few days back (I think on Vulture?) about some of the limitations of Season One, and how that forced them to stay true to '80s film making and be more savvy by using practical effects (as opposed to CGI) in some scenes. I like the idea of practical special effects and the "Amblin" feel it creates, but when they have to use digital effects I hope they will have the budget they want. Somehow after all this I suspect they will!

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet, but again Lucas is the frustrating one!   I know the group of friends needs the pessimist, and it's a testament to this kid's acting ability that he makes me want to smack him.   

I agree with you, but with the one caveat that Lucas' pessimism is more of a skepticism which anchors the story and makes it feel more real. Lucas offers a nice contrast to Mike, who often accepts Eleven's paranormal powers and the incredible adventure they've been thrown into without much question. Dustin is usually in the middle facilitating things. Having Lucas as the guy who says "wait, stop, this is insane! This bald girl we found in the woods can slam doors with her mind? You're going to hide her in your basement forever and not tell your mom? This is crazy!" is both frustrating and makes the story feel more believable to me.

Potted plant ... just like from ET.

Yes! And she has to keep it in a room without any hope of sunlight. It occurred to me that maybe even the plant is a bit of an experiment. Give her something to nurture and see if she will find a way to breathe life into the plant and keep it alive the way E.T. does in the movie, and even in the Atari game.  :et:

Does the "facebook" link work for you?  I'm trying to make a "kiss my butt"...it will force people to spend time interpreting before actually being insulted :)  But the linky no work!

I would just right click and save the gif, then upload it to facebook. 

For the forums I literally just right clicked the gif to get the image address and used that.

Archived