Stranger Things "Chapter Seven: The Bathtub"

Justin

:mac_alert:  SPOILER WARNING: This is a discussion on the seventh episode of Stranger Things. It contains spoilers for the series through S1:E7. Do not read this page if you do not want to know what happens through the end of Chapter Seven.

Stranger Things "Chapter Seven: The Bathtub"

"You act like you're all alone out there in the world, but you're not. You're not alone."

Season 1, Episode 7   41m

Stranger_Things_Chapter_7_The_Bathtub_A.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_7_The_Bathtub_B.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_7_The_Bathtub_C.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_7_The_Bathtub_D.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_7_The_Bathtub_E.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_7_The_Bathtub_F.

Stranger_Things_Chapter_7_The_Bathtub_G.

Eleven struggles to reach Will, while Lucas warns "the bad men are coming." Nancy and Jonathan show the police went to Jonathan caught on camera.

Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Matthew Modine

TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Director: The Duffer Brothers

Soundtrack: Hazy Shade of Winter (The Bangles), Fields of Coral (Vangelis)

Unanswered Questions:

• Is the quarry the result of the experiments going on at Hawkins National Laboratory?
  • Does Mike and Nancy's Dad know more than he lets on, or is he just useless?
  • Is Dr. Brenner Eleven's Dad?
  • Eleven made a work van fly through the air in this episode. How far do Elevens powers go?
  • Is Will Byers suffering from the toxic affects of the Upside Down?

I spotted some Intellivision games and an Intellivoice voice synthesis module in the night scene at Mr. Clarke's house when he's watching the movie with his date. Its easy to miss, very dark and you only see it briefly. The Intellivoice is sitting on top of his TV set, and the games are sitting next to it. No sign of an actual Intellivision though. (Makes me wonder if the millennials in the art department thought the Intellivoice was the Intellivision?) I brightened the picture and circled them below:

Stranger_Things_Mr_Clarkes_Intellivision

As the series rounds the last corner toward the finish line, on a breathless, increasingly-engrossing ride through retro roadways of our geek minds, the grand narrative tropes of my fave fiction writer serves a perfect blend of engaging action, well-earned character development, fantastical events in mundane urban settings and just plain fun.

Firstly, Mr Clark makes a choice between the most realistic geek date night imaginable (barring the actual babe-in-the-room) and his personal passion - teaching (even on date night).

Points and kudos. Also, I doubt his date walked out, what with all the dreamy MacReady action onscreen.

And El and Joyce made my heart grow Nth times bigger. Joyce believers are redeemed in the pure mom-ness that drives her.

And I would bet Mr Clark is more fascinated with the Intellivoice than the console itself (also - teacher with an Intellivision over Atari? Makes sense in higher-standard, higher-salary kind of way).

He'd probably try to find a way to work it into his class.

At this point in the series, the parallels to Spielberg/Carpenter visuals are just a gift for us who lived it out in cinemas, as the story itself is obviously written by folks with an eye for telling a good creepy tale, regardless of the tools used.

This is kinda what I wish Tarantino would do with his constant callbacks to classic and obscure movies, just for the sake of it instead of weaving an actual story with characters.

As for the ep - again Hopper makes a rather foolishly-bold choice in break-ins.

I hope he gets more reliant in state troopers in his further adventures.

The breakdown of the '80s stuff in "Stranger Things" that our friends Vic Sage and The Retroist are doing keeps rolling on. Today is Stranger Things "Chapter Seven: The Bathtub" where they cite at least 18 1980s references in the episode:

http://www.geek.com/news/all-the-80s-references-in-stranger-things-chapter-seven-the-bathtub-1665009/

Archived